• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Have ypu been able to eat steak?

Cariadd88

Hi guys I was banded in December and have 6.5ml in a 10ml band. Before surgery I loved steak but have been too scared to try it since having my band. Specially as I never used to have it at home only in resturaunts. Just wanted some opinions on whether banners have been successful eating steak or other meats?! As I seem to struggle with meat sometimes x

I'm not a bander - a bypasser, but I've had no problems with any kind of meat.
I believe meat can be a common problem for banders and bypasser. I just make sure it's not overcooked and chew chew chew. Because I only have small portions, I tend to go for the really good cuts now, just so I know it will be tender.

Hiya. I would have problem with beef if not slow cooked and I would generally only eat mince. If you can't chew it down its not worth the risk in my opinion! But I'm sure some can tolerate it. If you are not too tight it may be fine. The only way to know is to give it a go! !

it is common that banders find meat but often red meat (unless minced) difficult to eat. I can still eat it, but then I still do not have restriction despite 16 fills and I can eat all foods. Why not give it a go at home to try and chew it well :)

A lot of banders have trouble with meat. Sometimes I do,but most times so long as its tender I can eat about 100-120gs. Since I had my band, I have managed a really tender fillet steak twice .... And it did take a long time to eat, and meant I couldn't eat anything bar the meat on my plate. Having said that, it was fabulous :D

A lot of banders have trouble with meat. Sometimes I do,but most times so long as its tender I can eat about 100-120gs. Since I had my band, I have managed a really tender fillet steak twice .... And it did take a long time to eat, and meant I couldn't eat anything bar the meat on my plate. Having said that, it was fabulous :D

See I could live with that just a nice steak on a plate!! Maybe some naughty sauce as well :)

Think I just need to give it a go and see what happens!

Top_katyou've had 16 fills?! That's crazy are you any closer to getting good restriction?

No, I do not have any restriction with my band. Just a whole lot of issues that are still being investigated. I've been filled to capacity, completely emptied, I've had fills under X-ray and still no restriction.

I'm now 10 days away from my 2 year after care being up, but also still a considerable way from being where I need, wish or desire to be. I feel deeply frustrated.

What size band have you got? So scary to be nearly 2 years after surgery and feel no different. What do they think the issue is? Will you have to pay for your fills etc now? x

it is common that banders find meat but often red meat (unless minced) difficult to eat. I can still eat it, but then I still do not have restriction despite 16 fills and I can eat all foods. Why not give it a go at home to try and chew it well :)

Hi top Kat if you don't mind me asking, how have you lost all this weight without restriction? By the way a very well done!

My band has done nothing for me in 18months and ive been struggling. Finally got the consultant to listen and had a fluoroscopy done last week, he put in 2.5mls and assures me I should feel restriction now. Still on liquids/purée stage so remains to be seen.

Yes I can eat steak. Just make sure you only eat small bits of it at a time, chew well and allow a good 20-30 seconds between mouthfuls.

I love steak!

I had a fillet steak the other day - only a few bites and chewed it twice as much as usual !

No problems afterwards - enjoy xxx

Back