• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having a baby during aftercare for gastric band

PinkDaisy

I will do it this time!
Hi guys,

I had my band on saturday and since pre op have lost 21lbs which im very happy about but still long way to go yet! I am 22 yr old and been married year n half and we would love a baby as soon as im healthy enough, I have 3 years aftercare with my band provider, do you think it makes sense to try for the baby as soon as my weight is healthy enough so that I can have adjustments under my aftercare?

Plus an extra eye to keep on me during pregnancy, hopefully getting pregnant wont take too long boosted by the weight loss, If I can get to 14/15 stone in the next year i would start trying.

Does this make sense??

It makes perfect sense. I get aftercare for life so being pregnant whilst under aftercare is fine. Like you say you would be better off as they will be able to keep an eye on you. You will have to have your band emptied whilst you are pregnant and then they will fill it up again after.

They will also be able to advise you and keep an eye on your weight whilst pregnant. It is having my first 2 children that made me put on so much weight in the first place so to have someone to advise and help you would be the best thing.

I hope this makes sense and good luck with what you decide to do. FYI I was advised to wait at least a year before getting pregnant mainly to give me chance to loose the weight but also to give me body time to heal.

Yeah it would probably be a year anyway to make 100% sure we are financially stable and maybe have a thin holiday before then too hahah!

thanks hun! xx

Hi Pink Daisy,

WLSG have a scheme set up if a client becomes pregnant AFTER their aftercare has expired.

So just in case, here's the link :)

Weight Loss Surgery Group

Hiya Daisy - good luck with whatever you decide on :) xx

thats fab hayley thankyou! Sounds great, thanks guys x

Me and the hubby want kids eventually. We got married in May this year :) Everyone is different, but I think I may wait until I get to my goal weight before trying for a baby.

If I was in your shoes, I think I would what you suggested, to take advantage of the de-fills you'll need :)

xxx

Last edited:
The only concern I would identify is waiting until you are not going through a steep weight loss as you do not know what effect this could have on the baby, so yes, leave it a while. This also gives your own body & energy stores a chance to stabilise. Best of luck tho (not htat I am jealous or anything...my baby is 24 and refuses to sit on my knee and be cuddled any more...)

The only concern I would identify is waiting until you are not going through a steep weight loss as you do not know what effect this could have on the baby, so yes, leave it a while. This also gives your own body & energy stores a chance to stabilise. Best of luck tho (not htat I am jealous or anything...my baby is 24 and refuses to sit on my knee and be cuddled any more...)

lol

xxx

I have spoke to my doctor about this as i also would like to have a baby after i loose wight and he said, you should at least wait for 12 to 18 months after the surgery. As your body needs to recover fully and be ready to carry another life. Any lack of nutrition or vitamins will be very harmful for the baby. after 12 to 18 months you will loose all the excess weight and recover fully. He also said because you won't be eating normally during these time but after that your stomach will stretch a little and it all will be risk free.

i've been married for 6 years now and have been trying for a baby for 3 years but i also have to keep this in mind that i would not like only a baby but a healthy and happy baby, so have to wait to prepare my body first.

your so right farzu! im sure u will be a mummy very soon! with a healthy body to carry a healthy baby xx

Back