• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Heartlands Birmingham

SHARONA

Hi I joined this page sometime ago and although I love reading all the posts /threads etc that Im interested in I just dont seem to be able to get my head around it. However my journey is a very long one Im at the stage where I have been told "I will get funding" but they cant apply for it till JUly due to not being in the service for twelve months. The dietician reckons I will get it ,Im getting excited I dont want to get my hopes up. Anyone know at the Heartlands birmingham in same boat? and does anyone know how long the waiting list is for a gastric bypass?? getting impatient :cry::sigh:

hi sharona i am under heartlands though i didnt have to wait for funding i had my gp refer me in august went to seminar and saw surgeon in october was put on list then removed again due to some other issues i had to have investigated first re listed in february and had my op in april but i believe the criteria all changed again so thats why maybe the wait until july but it is not that long away and once funding is in place things should move quick though i have to say i am disappointed with the hospital i had no tests before surgery no psych and have had no follow up as yet even though i keep ringing them

Hi Princess4d4 how are you so thanks for reply. Yes it doesnt seem long but im thinking is something going to go wrong may be I wont get funding although the dietitien said i would. How have things changed at Heartlands ?? I have read sooo many threads posts and nothing seems "plain and simple" things appear to be changing regularly to suit whom ever. It doesnt seem good that you had proper pre and follow up care whats going on there?? surely when you saw doc etc they would have told you all this. Im so sorry to hear this how awful for you !! What was the seminar like ? can you bring your partner fam etc as support? Im not sure how long the fun ding will take once they apply in July .DO you think it will be this year by your experiances and knowledge i will have my op?? please reply many thanks for your reply x

Hi sharona I will reply properly soon as on pc on phone at mo and takes forever to reply my whole wait from gp referral to surgery was 8 months will explain seminar in next reply from pc

hi sharona as promised i made it back the seminar is just a dietician who talks about the different procedures the complications that can arise and the life style changes for each before you go in though to the room for that you will be called by a nurse to check height weight blood pressure there was only 3 when i went to my seminar very informal and plenty of chance to ask any questions

Thanks again Princess for getting back to me, so i see another dietician. I really thought it was a larger group of people all being accepted for funding and the talk was done by a surgeon and nurse team. I had a talk about a month ago with a dietician she spoke to me about all the different types of surgery available at the hospital she just weighed me too. DO you have a choice of hospital/surgeon that does the op? How long do you stay in hospital for also? sorry so many questions .Any other advise you can offer please send my way please or send me links. Just need to get all this sorted so i can sort the rest of my life out like my job etc. Thank you Princess such a nice name for a nice lady bless you x

Hiya I just had the seminar with the dietician and met with the surgeon same day at a seperate appointment due to my having to travel but they normally 2 weeks apart they already had funding in place at that time as I met all criteria b4 it changed and I had no say in which surgeon or hospital they did do my op at spire solihull though as heartlands had a bed shortage and a change of surgeon on the day but to be fair I just wanted my surgery that bad an alien could have done it on the m6 lol

Thank you so much Princess im just counting the days now.Dietition said she would ring me in 6 wks as i asked for a telephone catch up till they can apply for funding in July .Im going to try and start gyum Monday coming again but diet as come to a stand still i have just eaten 5 profiterals ! OOOOPss ! please send me any links you have found usueful please x

dont really have any links i can send but i would suggest swapping to a tea plate and cutting portions down i did this before my op and it has helped no end post op and dont be hard on yourself for 5 profiteroles i would have eaten a lot more than 5 and you also realise you did it thats a good thing as you can see where you went wrong

Thank you princess i ate the whole box!! Gulp yes i will try again with the small tea plate. I did try after seeing the bariatric plate and ended up with four small plates of food. I know I must try and take this seriously its really getting out of hand may be it is because Im so stressed with this whole waiting thing. How you doing now after your op?

I think its quite normal to feel how you are feeling now, once I booked my op for the period in between that and starting my pre op diet it was almost as if I was given the green light to go ahead and eat eat eat. It was almost as if I had to get all my favourite foods in before I couldn't do it any longer lol. However once the day come for my pre op diet to start I knuckled down and stuck to it no problem.

the pre op diet is major hard for the first 4 or 5 days then gets easier you really have to be in the right head space to do the whole surgery route and try not to stress it wont make it happen any sooner hard i know but it will get easier and you will be on the other side before you know it

and me yes im doing good im 6 weeks post op now and wouldnt know i even had it done

THANK you so much for your support and encouragement it means so much and a lot .Well its nearly June so havnt got long before they apply for funding. Much love xx

no worries will always try and help if i can and yes june starts sunday it flies by

Im at heartlands monday for a post op seminar that is a new one to me that had never been mentioned at anytime pre op and only found out when I cslled as still hadn't had any follow up for 6 week check and they say this seminar is for the 6 week check im almost 8 weeks post op now

Back