• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hello all just joined could use some advice

nigel170466

my name is nigel,and had the gastric band coming up two years in september,i have lost 16 stone and still going strong,but i have a big problem coming to terms with it,sounds silly i would think,but being over thirty stones for so long,i just cant seem to think thin,i know the pphsical changes are obvious and of course feeel so much better,but i still cant shake off that 34 stone old me,even when i look in the mirror hes there,any advice would be welcomed,many thanks to all Nigel

hi nigel welcome to minis x shake the old you off, i had the same problem i had my band just over 4 years and still think im the old liz, it takes along time to ajust to the "NEW YOU" that you have become, kick back chill and enjoy the efforts and rewards you have put in to this x

wow that was quick

many thanks for the reply,i am trying to shake the old me off,but as you say it is hard,im sure it will work out ok when i get to target,i have about another 3-4 stone,i suppose that will be including the skin lol,but i dont really know what my target is,people keep asking me what i want to get to,and i simply say i havent got a clue cus ive never been there and will find out when i do

Congratulations on the amazing weight-loss so far!! Good luck with the last few stones!!!

has your providor set you a target or have you a personal targert ?

Nigel you have done a fantastic job there :eek: very well done on your WL so far :0clapper:

are you exercising as well or is it just the effects of the band?

welcome to Minis :welcome: btw :D

Wow Nigel 16 stone is an amazing weight loss and I congratulate you.

Good luck with the remaining few stones Nigel. x

I know exactly what you mean nigel, the last time I could call myself 'thin' was in my very early teens which was 15 years ago! I just can't remember what if felt liked, what I looked liked, the feeling of wearing nice clothes, the feeling of being able to do what I wanted and when I wanted without worrying about my size is a long distant memory which I know for sure is going to take some time to get used too. Here's me talking like I am already thin but I've only just started :D I also used to think perhaps I never lost the weight before because I was actully happy being fat and obviously didn't want it bad enough and then just punished myself further. So my advice is when you get that feeling of aprehension about being thin, remind yourself of all the times when you've had terrible experiences being over weight, surely it can't be half as bad? One of my friends said to me but if you lose 10 stone you'll have excess skin to hide? Well atleast I can hide that with some good pants :) I've been thinking I've hidden 10stone in excess weight for 15years under long skirts and big tops but really I was kidding myself. You've done an amazing job so far with your weight loss, congratualtions and keep it going. x

Hi Nigel and:welcome2: to mini's. What a fantastic achievement losing 16 stone. you must have worked so hard with your band to lose so much weight.You will start to feel like a new you once you have lost the other 3/4 stone. At the moment you're not feeling it because you have a little more to go so you probably feel that you're still the old you.
Good luck with the rest of your journey and keep popping on here for as much support as you need. We're a good bunch and there is always someone around to help. xxGaynorxx

Well done on your fantastic weight loss. I'm sure the new you will look back at you from the mirror soon and you will know what a great achievement it is. Very best wishes.

hi nigel and great weightloss well done. im still on my journey nearly 6 st gone but need to loose at least another 6 but i look at pics of myself now and still cant believe i look like i do just wont sink in, my best freind went from 18st to 10st a few years back and still doesnt see herself thin i think some people just dont think that way xx

A big thanks to all you great people

I really am so glad i have found this site,i really didnt know what to expect,loads of advice and stories of amazing self achievemnt,i really mean it when i say,that these responses have already helped to look at things in a different light,
an answer to one question,i am exercising now,ive got a home gym etc,but the main loss was through the band,i had lost around 14 stones before i started to really try and excersize,i was still a big lad nearly 20 stone but am gtting into a regime
the one thing i do think would have been beneficial for me,was to be able to talk to someone who had had this done,earlier in the weight loss,it has been a lonely battle in a way with no one to talk to properly,and of course thins dont really get explained very well,i didnt realise i wopuld be able to eat chocalate so easily,i was actually getting a bit overboard,but i knew i had to pack it in,or could have beeen a bit of a backslide.well thanks again for all the support so far,nice to find all you slim wannabees,nigel

I know exactly what you mean nigel, the last time I could call myself 'thin' was in my very early teens which was 15 years ago! I just can't remember what if felt liked, what I looked liked, the feeling of wearing nice clothes, the feeling of being able to do what I wanted and when I wanted without worrying about my size is a long distant memory which I know for sure is going to take some time to get used too. Here's me talking like I am already thin but I've only just started :D I also used to think perhaps I never lost the weight before because I was actully happy being fat and obviously didn't want it bad enough and then just punished myself further. So my advice is when you get that feeling of aprehension about being thin, remind yourself of all the times when you've had terrible experiences being over weight, surely it can't be half as bad? One of my friends said to me but if you lose 10 stone you'll have excess skin to hide? Well atleast I can hide that with some good pants :) I've been thinking I've hidden 10stone in excess weight for 15years under long skirts and big tops but really I was kidding myself. You've done an amazing job so far with your weight loss, congratualtions and keep it going. x
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR WORDS OF SUPPORT,HELPED A LOT,HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN,nIGEL

HI GQAYNOR

Hi Nigel and:welcome2: to mini's. What a fantastic achievement losing 16 stone. you must have worked so hard with your band to lose so much weight.You will start to feel like a new you once you have lost the other 3/4 stone. At the moment you're not feeling it because you have a little more to go so you probably feel that you're still the old you.
Good luck with the rest of your journey and keep popping on here for as much support as you need. We're a good bunch and there is always someone around to help. xxGaynorxx
HELLO GAYNOR,MANY THANKS FOR THE WORDS,ILL BE HONEST FROM JOINING YESTERDAY AND THE MASSIVE RESPONSE I HAVE HAD,IT REALLY HAS ALLREADY MADE AN ENOURMOUS DIFFERENCE ON MY OUTLOOK,MANY THANKS AGAIN ANF=D HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN,nIGEL

hi nigel and great weightloss well done. im still on my journey nearly 6 st gone but need to loose at least another 6 but i look at pics of myself now and still cant believe i look like i do just wont sink in, my best freind went from 18st to 10st a few years back and still doesnt see herself thin i think some people just dont think that way xx
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR WORDS,AND I HAVE TO SAY YOU ALREADY LOOK FANTASTIC,YOU HAVE DONE REALLY WELL,HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN,IM STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHAT TO DO ON HERE HOW TO ACCESS NEW RESPONSES ETC WITHOUT SEARCHING FOR AGES,nIGEL

Hi NIGEL

Dont know why capitals lol they just crept in lol

Wow u have done fantastic what an inspiration , I j=had a bypass last week and i got some blinking shoes to fill now lol

Yeh I can imagine exactly what you are saying and I too am worried about life being slim (if i ever get there) all my life I have been big and i know my place in society being this size , im not so sure fitting in with hte rest is going to be as easy as i sometimes think it will be .

I still cant wait though to give it a try and i cant wait to go shopping hehehe

But I think its good to remember where we once was as it means we havnt lost touch with our roots , if that makes sense , makes us appreciate what we have been throught how far we have come and that others will also need our support and acceptance within society no matter what size they are.

I bet u looking buff now with all that gym work too ;)

Welcome to minis u will love it here everyone is fab

helen
xxxxx

I have only been a member for two weeks but have never felt such support from such a kind group of people!!! The people in my life are not being so supportive so it's nice to have people to talk to who understand!!!

HI HELEN

Hi NIGEL

Dont know why capitals lol they just crept in lol

Wow u have done fantastic what an inspiration , I j=had a bypass last week and i got some blinking shoes to fill now lol

Yeh I can imagine exactly what you are saying and I too am worried about life being slim (if i ever get there) all my life I have been big and i know my place in society being this size , im not so sure fitting in with hte rest is going to be as easy as i sometimes think it will be .

I still cant wait though to give it a try and i cant wait to go shopping hehehe

But I think its good to remember where we once was as it means we havnt lost touch with our roots , if that makes sense , makes us appreciate what we have been throught how far we have come and that others will also need our support and acceptance within society no matter what size they are.

I bet u looking buff now with all that gym work too ;)

Welcome to minis u will love it here everyone is fab

helen
xxxxx
Hi Helen
Many thanks for the message,and im sure you will get there,i never ever dreamed of ever being away from the 34 stone person,but i have done it,and so will you,you already look fantastic,so the rest should be a hoot,when i find out hw,ill do my profile and pictures etc,dunno about the buff look lol,but it sounds good anyhow,you know the crap thing,i have only just found this site after 16 stone,i could really have used this earlier in my weight loss,its been such a lonely road,its hard to talk to people close about the situation cus they only know the one you,does that make sense,i doubt lol,the trouble is with my nhs dept that did it,they are so strapped for wonga that the after care and back up is a real minimum,i have never had one single outpatient appointment since the op,only to go to my three fills an that was just with the sff that had never met me,but hey we keep going,reallyy great to know you and hope to hear from you again,Nigel

Back