• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

O/T Could do with some advice please.

I was off with stress when my op date cropped up I was due to return to work two weeks after my surgery date and just extended that by one week. I told only a few people that I had had surgery. HR just asked if it was a one off or would I need more. I told them one off and todate no ones knows what I have had done...its a tough call but I would say if you dont want them to know you dont have to tell them. The form is asking for ongoing treatment because they look at time off in the future....this surgery will improve your health and indeed my sickness record is clearing up nicely since I no longer suffer from the dreaful headaches and high blood pressure pre surgery...good luck in whatever you decide...xx

THanks so much for everyones advice and for sharing your own experiences. Still mulling it over at the min but need to make a decision over the weekend. Your advice has really helped.

Sam how about if you attatch to the form a note to say that although you dont suffer with any of the medical conditions on the form you are currently attending the WMC for help with your weight To hopefully prevent any weight related illnesses later in life. Then once you have your appointment in june you can be honest with then and say that they have recomended surgery and it will be within the next however many weeks.
I work for a goverment department as a retained foster carer(i get paid a proffessional fee) and also training officer and was upfront and honest from day one. My departments stance on it was that if it improves your health and enables you to continue to do your job go for it. As you know timing for me couldnt of been better and i was allowed to take my full 12week retainer before starting wit my new placements.
Just my opinion but i really am a believer in honesty being the best policy.
Tough call for you i know. If it was someone else asking the question what would you be advising them? Go with your heart and what feels comfortable.
good luck
carole

Hi, Sam,
It is unfortunate that two major events in your life have come together at the same time (think of it as character building!!).
As you know, I have had my pre-op today. I was fortunate enough to be seen by Mr. Khan, himself. Like you, I have concerns about what to say at work. I am an intensely private person. One of my questions was ‘what would be put on my sick note?’
Mr. Khan was quite clear – he said that the note would read “surgery” and that as far as he was concerned, the nature of the surgery was “nobody’s business but the patient’s”. He told me to make sure that, if a Junior Doctor was to write the note, I needed tell him/her what to write.
Don’t know if this helps. You need to do what you need to do for YOU. Your instinct will tell you, when the time comes, what to do and say.
Hope this helps xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. Telling work about my op is something I have been worrying about for a while, but I didnt expect to get the medical form to complete so didn't think I was going to have to deal with the problem so soon.

I have reached a decision. I've always been a believer in honesty being the best policy, and dont want to "tell porkies" as I think I would be a rubbish liar and probably end up tripping myself up at some point in the future.

I have decided to tell them that whilst I am not receiving any treatment I have been referred to the weight management clinic which is true. This is, I think, a positive thing. They can see that I'm overweight and taking action to address it. This way, my appointment on 16th June won't come as a surprise to them. Then following this appointment I can tell work that I have been advised to have an operation. I will have a doctors note from the NHS so assume I will be eligible for SSP, but I'm not bothered about the money to be honest. Just dont want to upset/annoy my new bosses.

I will ensure that it in no way impacts upon my training and that any sick leave is kept to an absolute minimimum.

Also, taking this course of action means I won't have to keep explaining my weight loss, and people won't think I'm ill or that they can't mention my weight.

Thanks so much again everyone, especially Carole who came up with this suggestion. Very much appreciated.

Hi Sam

I am so glad you have decided to take this course of action.

Honesty is the best policy and the steps you have outlined mean that there is no way you could be fired for 'non disclosure'.

All the very best for your WLS journey
PS Lots of luck with the new job too!

Last edited:
Hi Sam

Well done I really think you have made the right decision. Enjoy your new job!

Maz x

OOO I get sooo cross when wls surgery is referred to as 'cosmetic'. Cosmetic surgery is a nose job or facelift, you are not in a life or death situation when you have cosmetic surgery.

WLS is a life saver, IF you don't go ahead with this in some/most cases our lives will be shortened, will this happen if you don't have your nose straightened?? I don't think so...

By losing weight your increasing your life expectancy and improving your general health, this will result in you needing less time off work and less medical care..therefore it is Essential surgery and shouldn't be classed as elective!

I don't beleive you should feel you HAVE to tell anyone what op your having, whether its WLS or having your tonsils out, in fact my employer can't aske me directly what i'm going into hospital for.

Sorry for the rant but i do get soo cross. Sam, go with whats right for you, if you feel that the job may be in jeopardy if you tell them, then don't, but if you feel they will be ok with it then tell them, only you know what your future employer is likely to think. Good luck with whatever you do. x

Back