• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

O/T Could do with some advice please.

Sambucca

Hellooooo. Sorry this might be a bit long but wanted to include all relevant info so you lovely peeps can help me.

Some of you know that I start my new job this coming Monday. Its my dream job and I have been very lucky to get it as literally thousands of people applied for it.

Anyway, I now have a bit of a dilemma.

I have to undergo three months intensive training in my new job so that should end around mid July, which, if all goes to plan will fit in perfectly with my WLS. My 2nd pre op appointment is 16th June which would give me an op date (hopefully) of end July. Perfect.

My original plan was not to tell work what operation I was having, just to let them know, shortly before my 2nd pre op that I have been given a hospital appointment and that I have "just been informed" that I am going to need an operation some time in the next 8 weeks. Without sounding big headed, I wanted to get my foot in the door, and give them a good impression of myself before dropping the bombshell so to speak. I know that others have not told work what operation they are having. Do they have the right to ask me?

I am also hoping, as it is a sedentary job that I will only need to have 4 weeks off maximum.

Anyway, (Im getting there now, promise!) I have received in the post with all my new employee paperwork, a medical questionnaire. It does say that its only for Personnel Dept use. It asks if I suffer from any of a long list of medical problems, to which I can honestly answer No. It then asks for details of any medical treatment I am receiving.

I am not receiving any regular medical treatment, so I wouldnt be lying if I answered "none", but I dont know whether to use this "opportunity" to disclose my forthcoming operation.

I know I cant be sacked for having to take time off sick. But my worry is that I will still be on probation when my surgery is due which means (I think) that they can get rid of me for any reason.

So, shall I be upfront with them now? Or wait, get my foot in the door, impress them, and then tell them a bit closer to the time.

So guys. What would you do? Bearing in mind that this is my dream job and I dont want to do anything to jeapordise it, but also that I appreciate how lucky I have been to be granted WLS on the NHS and that I dont want to do anything to jeapordise that either.

Thanks in advance for your answers. Im going to post this in my diary as well so I can hopefully get some responses from people who don't frequent the WLS section of the forum.

Hi Sam

I suppose it depends on the organisation but if I were you I would ring them and say that although you do not have a specific medical condition you have been warned that you may in the future need a surgical procedure. The sick leave is really the issue, I work in the public sector and we would not be allowed sick leave for cosmetic surgery, could be the same at your new employers. I think honesty would be the best policy.

Good luck

Maz x

Good advice Mazza, though I would say that bariatric surgery, although in this case elective, is not cosmetic.

It is considered as cosmetic by my employer - Im using up my holiday after having my band fitted.

mmm tricky - I would say it is medical if the op has been advised and you have qualified for NHS surgery so there are medical grounds.

Personally I think I would start the job and make a great impression which you obviously will and when you get your date then tell them.

As an employer I think they are not likely to sack you when they have advertised, interviewed, trained etc a member of staff who they are very pleased with.

I know you dont have to disclose a pregnancy when interviewed and employed only by your 16th week - so why is this different ??

As far as them knowing what the op is for why do they have to know the exact reason ?? I worked at british airways with a girl who had liposuction and she told them it was a cartiledge op !!! I am sure you do not have to disclose medical details.

If you feel better telling them what the op is for which I think I would also do this after employment has started - they dont know the ins and outs of how long this procedure takes do they !
For all they know you have seen the doctor as you met a friend who had recently has this surgery and he has recommended it for you and a cancellation has come up

I think if you tell them now the worry is i think the fact that they have no information - they may feel you have all sorts of medical problems and troubles and maybe it would be better for you not to start - a big maybe I am only playing devils advocate here

Also I know we dont want to think this or contemplate it but you dont know the op date yet you may have worked there longer than you think before you have to tell them ( mucho finger crossing that does not happen )

I am a believer in not doing things that dont have to be done at the minute !!! including housework !!

The questionnaire like you say you will be telling no lies - you could say you were not even contemplating this when you filled out that form

As you can tell I am going for the sneaky approach !! Arent they any online employment advice services or maybe the CAB ??

hope it helps a bit

Liz
24 hours to being a loser !
xxxxxx

Mazza - I think your employer needs educating!

Starry - some great advice here. There is indeed an online employment rights service, the government one. I'll have a look for the link. But a swift call to the CAB might be a good idea and get a definitive answer.

Mazza - I think your employer needs educating!

Starry - some great advice here. There is indeed an online employment rights service, the government one. I'll have a look for the link. But a swift call to the CAB might be a good idea and get a definitive answer.

My employer is the government (education) and i was just offering advice on what I would do ie be honest and upfront, that is what Sam was asking for. Also saying what would be the case with where i do and have worked in the past - not knowing the type of employer Sam is going to.

You do not have to disclose anything about you procedure to your employer.

It is bariatic surgery and if you need to tell them something tell them that. Baritric can include anything including hyatis (sp) hernia.

I am having a band fitted and will not be telling my employer.

Why is it astounding, I am chosing to have a gastric band fitted privatly (bariatric surgery) and cant get sick leave. I am being honest with them as I have always been regarding my medical health. If I had have mislead them in anyway on my medical form for example when I joined it could be grounds for dismissal.

My employer - their policy regarding what I am having done, thats pretty much across the board for public sector. I have no idea if it would be different if funded by the NHS as that is not and was never an option for me.

Anyway as I said honesty is always the best policy, it may be that it is allowable but unless you check!?.

Its a tricky one Sam and I wouldn't like to be the one to have to make it. If you don't disclose it on the forms can you be 100% sure that you won't let it out of the bag that you are looking forward to your op or something to some one bewteen now and then. You could disclose the fact that you have a hospital appointment in June and that you may require an operation after this for digestive problems, and that as soon as you know anything you will let them know, but it won't be until after your training period.

If you aren't going to disclose it now, you may have to answer some awkward questions when you do come to tell them, as they will be aware that there are waiting lists and time scales. If you have to show them your appointment letter for Mr Youseff it will have the date on it of when it was wriiten and then they will see that you have known for a while and not let them know, and this would then make them question your honesty.

Sorry I haven't been much help Sam. xXx

I ummmmd and ahhhhhd about this to Sam as I had already been pulled in for a meeting about my last years sick record....I work for the county council and they are arcahic in their view of sick leave etc...this is my sick leave in the last year and you will see where me and mazza are comming from on some bosses
Jan 2008 5 days off chest infection (caused after working on the mobile library for 7 weeks with no heating for 7 hours a day in the winter)
March 2008 1 day cystitis
May 2008 1 week off following the death of my grandson
august 2008 3 days off stomach bug
september 2008 2 weeks off with synotendonitis - caused by very poor work station at work a problem I had already raised with them
October 1 week off - sever bladder and kidney infection (caused by delayed flight from Us-UK 14 hours on a plane!!!!!)
November 2008 1 week off death of my terminal ill father in law who my husband and i cared for....:(

So I had a rough year to say the least and what did they do? pull me in and demand to know what I was going to do about my sickness? well I was upset and didnt know what to say I just sat there and took it then all of a sudden I got angry I said actually I do have somegting to say about this.....I told them that hopefully no more of my grandchildren would die and that neither of my parents would die in the comming year and that now they had sorted out the problems with my mobile that I had complained about for months hopefully I wouldnt have work caused illlness anymore and that following my bladder and kidney infection the intensive antibiotics should help my cyctitis problem but th efact I dont have access to a loo for hours at a time had exasapated my bladder problem and I felt this was a work related ilness too....I was really angry and in the end they appologised as they realised they had pushed me to far!!!!
This is the sort of behaviour you get when working for local government...yeah we get agreat pension but get treated like idiots!

In the end I told them I was having a Gyni op and sort of hinted at fibroids and an ovarian cyst among work collegeues so thats what they think my DR was an angel and put post-surgery recomperation on my sick note :D I thought about saying a Gallbladder removal but realised that if I end up with a gallbladder problem from weight loss I would look daft as I couldnt have it removed twice

Do I feel guilty? No

A tricky one. Much easier if you already had been with your employer for ages as everyone else says. I worked for the public sector (teaching) until I became to ill to work. I know a few people who had cosmetic surgery and were deliberately vague - or lied ( nose-job = sorting out problems with a breathing irregularity). I always had to tell half-truths about my condition (Bipolar), I felt it was none of their business.
I do know that a lot of people don't know what Bariatric surgery is, maybe just briefly say -on waiting list for op and you don't know when it is as you've been on list for ages.
Sorry am little use to you. Sods law is it not. I agree that they are unlikely to get rid of someone they've just spent 3 months training - you must have been outstanding at interview. Well done you!

Also, if you work for public sector, it is the number of separate periods of illness which is considered rather than the length of each one. Don't know if your job is in Pub Sec

I personally don't think it's any of their business.
You don't have a date. It's still concieveable it may not even happen. Until you actually have something concrete I wouldn't say a dickie bird.

Go in, make a great impression and "Don't trouble trouble
til trouble troubles you
"

Last edited:
Wanda - I can identify with your post so much - it is a difficult dilema - in the end I feel it is my business. I have given my all to my job and - following a very difficult few years -i feel a bit of me time is necessary - health is so important. We only get one chance at it! I have chosen not to say what I am having done unless I'm asked directly. It's my choice though and we all have to handle it as we see fit and what works best. We know what's brought us to this point - the decision is huge. unless an employer has been through it, I'm guessing they will not understand the emotional journey. Thank you to everyone who offers support and opinion on this site. xx

Hi Sam, hope you had a good time in France !!! I honestly think that you should get on with the training and enjoy your new job then once you have a date let them know you're having gyni problems and may need an op to get it sorted. If anything is said as to why you did'nt let them know just tell them that you did'nt know you would need an op and that you thought meds would sort it. They would'nt fire you for this as they would have just spent a lot of time and money training you and would have to waste more time and money training someone else.So No I would'nt put it down on your questionaire as at the moment you have no idea when you're having your op and would they really want you to put something as trivial as period pains down lol.Good luck Sam and if I've confused you even more I'm sorry.
Hope you can find an answer xx Gaynor xx

Hi Sam. This is a tough one. As you know, if the NHS funds a bariatric surgery, they only do so if it meducally neccessary. So, when thinking of the laws in place to protect employees from workplace pressure to avoid medical treatment or sick leave, you have every right to tell them you are having a medically neccessary procedure and give them no details other than that. However, what is legal & what people do are two seperate things. How an employer is supposed to treat you and how they do, well doesn't always jive. I would tend to be cautious about revealing my upcoming surgery to a new employer. I would lean towards waiting until I had established myself before requesting medical leave. But that is just my opinion.

I have filled out many job applications recently and one asked how many sick days I took in the last 2 years and did I have an serious medical conditions that might impact my attendance. I felt very prickly about answering this, obviously I have been poorly in the last 2 years and I have had major surgery in the last 6 months. However, I felt like they had no right to ask me that. What, are they not going to hire me because I get chronic migraines? Or because I have had surgery? No, I think unless you have a job that is physically demanding it is none of their business what medical problems you might or might not have. And as for proof, I am sure that your surgeons office would issue you a duplicate letter for your appointment with a more current date if you asked them. I am sure many people want their privacy protected and ask for things to be omitted all the time.

Here's hoping that all this feedback didn't make you more confused!

Nic:p

Back