• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, can anyone offer me some consrtuctive advice? Please.

penelope1008

Hi my name is Penny and have been refered via my Gp at the request of my Arthritis consultant for a Gastric band. NHS funding has been approved and I met the surgeon for the first time on Tuesday of this week, had all the pre op assessments etc and came away very confused. Why I hear you ask, well he and the Bariatric nurse told me I could choose wether to have a band or a bypass, which through me as no one had mentioned this option before and from the little I knew it was a major surgical procedure and as it hadn't been discussed with me by either doctor previously not an option so I had done my research on the band and not even looked at the bypass option. Now I have a few weeks or months prior to my op to decide which is best for me sent away with a couple of leaflets and the inevitable question ringing in my ears any questions. Of course there werent then as I was still trying to absorb the information they had just given me now I need some feed back from thise of you who have had either op please so I can make a more informed choice. From what I can find on comparison sites it could be toss a coin to choose as I can't see which is better it seems just a choice as to wether I want the regular top ups etc for the band or the less invasive support and check ups the bypass requires.
Help please because I am so confused. I am not even sure I know what to ask the nurse if I email her to find out more.

Hi Penelope
I too was thrown into the same quandary. I thought the band was the only operation, then I met the nurse and she said band or bypass, so after research I opted for the bypass as being best for me. I then saw the surgeon and he said I will more than likely perform the gastric sleeve first then a bypass in the future. Thrown or what? This was yet another procedure I hadn't heard about!
All I can suggest as I am still pre op is to have a good read of this site, there is so much useful information on here and love and support to help you. If you manage to get up to 50+ posts you will also be able to see before and after photos and read some very interesting and inspiring diaries. All this will help you in your quest for information. To get the post count up, play the word association or keep and kill games this will then lead to a whole new world!!!
Good luck and keep posting

Hi Penny and welcome :)

What you also have to consider is what sort of eater you are. If you like sweet things or are a snacker, then the band won't help you. You'll still be able to eat high calorie food etc. If you're simply just a volume eater, then the band will help.

If however, you do like to eat crisps, sweets, chocolates, cakes etc, then the bypass would probably be best as this can give you bad side effects if you eat the wrong foods. It acts as a deterrent.

Great results can be had from either operation but they both aren't a cure for your eating habits. You have to work hard with them as they are just a tool to work with :)

If you are 100 % truthful when speaking to the surgeon about your eating habits , it is a good bet they will suggest / recommend the op that will be best suited to you and it's highly likely that if you go with their recommendation , you will do very well. They know what they're talking about and they want you to get the best out of it.
I had a band and I am a terrible sweet tooth comfort eater and my surgeon suggested bypass due to the amount of excess I had , one of the reasons I had the band was simply cost to be honest as the nhs weren't helpful in my case.
I have had to work a lot harder with my band but I have lost a lot despite my problems with emotional eating. I will get there slower but that is down to me so if you have the opportunity to have the best option for you funded by the NHS, take the surgeons suggestion over anyone elses opinion.
Bypass/sleeve will get the majority of the weight off in the first year after surgery but then you have to watch you don't regain later on , some people a few years out who don't change their habits do actually start to regain and their have been re-bypass operations in the states already.
The band takes longer initially but we have the option to get more restriction for as long as the band is in place, also it is easier than a conventional diet, no malabsorbtion issues and we have the ideal opportunity to relearn habits as we go because it helps the weight come off faster..in the long term we have no problem with pouch regrowing due to abuse / bad habits coming back and regaining that way.

Last edited:
Hi as Mixxy said its down to what type of eater you are,be honest with your team,read as much as you can about all wls.I was a big eater of carbs,bread was my downfall,plus biscuits,cakes,puds,crisps,cheese,bacon,mayo,fish and chips,big roasts etc the only thing I dont consume is booze and take aways like Mc Donalds.I wanted the band as less invasive but just knew I would cheat with it,I had the bypass 3 weeks ago and I know the dumping syndrome(not everyone gets it)will stop me eating high fat/sugar foods.My small pouch will prevent me eating huge portions.Its open to misuse as all surgeries are,Its up to you to be sensible and not abuse this tool.If you have a lot of weight to lose you could have a sleeve first then the second part is bypass,or your doc could do a bypass rightaway like me,I was 18.5st.You would be unlikely to be offered bypass if you were only a few stone overweight.Hope this helps as I said read as much as poss and ask your team as many questions as you want,its a big step either way.Maz x

Hi Penelope . . .
I too though I would be going for the band but having discussed the options with my Consultant I am now going for the bypass . . . remember the bypass has been around much longer and has a ‘better’ track record especially in respect of weight loss and maintenance of that loss . . .
Watch this video, it’s quite long but it will answer all your questions . . . x

http://www.orlive.com/baptisthealth/videos/advances-in-weight-loss-surgery-the-fully-robotic-gastric-bypass-1?view=displaypageNLM

Thank you all your replys are a great help and encouragement. I had a long chat with the nurse today and she answered some of the questions I had thought of so far and was able to reasure some of my fears and worries. I certainly will be using the site often to gain as mush first hand knowledge and advice as you can all spare to help make that final choice I have a few months before D.Day to do that and listen to my families concerns but having found the limited amount out I hae so far I must admit the bypass is edging slightly ahead in my choice, my husband is worried about the surgical risks and thinks the band will be better and it is reversable, but for me that is an opt out clause I don't think I want. To easy to have an excuse to fail if I don't embrase all the changes in my eating and coping habits.

You have to use this opportunity to take what you need, not what your husband needs, or what the woman round the corner had. You need to be completely honest with your surgeon and yourself...

Research is the key question here, also knowledge. It has taken me about 8 months to realise that at some point on our post op weight loss journey we have to realise it is only a tool, yours will be the head and the hand that could still reach for 'bad' foods. Use the time you have and really decide....

The only thing i will say is this, something one of my team doctors said ''it's impossible for the bypass not to work'', this was really assuring as i've heard horrors about bands failing... However as someone who has lost no weight for three months i have faced the realisation that i need to take responsibility for things too..

Good luck my lovely xx

I too wanted a band cos it would be reversible - when I started out thinking about WLS. I'd thought nothing of slippage, fills, defills, getting the sweet spot and dealing with fills on the NHS. Or needing it for ever or putting the weight back on.

I'd done my research - and knew a DS was really best but it wasn't availbale in my area - until I breached the 18 week rule and was sent to Leeds.

Fortunately the surgeon there told me a DS would be best - and I'm where I am today.

I need this tool - or I'd be able to put the weight back on

And I've been able to have knee replacements when my BMI came down!! - they refused to even see me when I was super morbidly obese.

Still not pain free unfortunately - but so much better - still got arthritis

xxxx

i was told by my spinal surgeon that i needed to lose weight so that he could do the op he needs to do. he told my gp to refer me to mr ammorri, i never even thought of any other surgery, i was just told that thats what i needed. for some reason, i didnt have to do the 6 months under the dietician, i was referred in the july/august, and had my op the following april, which im told was very quick. i only had 4-5 stones to lose, but on my tiny frame thats a lot. i am so glad i had it done, its changed my life completely, i would have it done again tomorrow.

Think you have had some fantastic advice. like the others have said read read and read some more. Good luck with whatever you decided will all be worth it. x

You've had some valuable advice here on this thread. It's a very personal choice and you need to continue doing lots of research.
May I recommend this book to you, which covers all types of weight loss surgeries in great detail
'Considering weight loss surgery: a patient's guide to surgery' by Glenn M. Ihde.

I chose the bypass because of the permanent nature of it, and the excellent results achieved by most people. I know there are a lot of people who are very successful with the band and the sleeve as well of course, but after having done my research the bypass seemed best for me and was recommended by the surgeon also.
Good luck!

Although the band is 'reversible' I think you will find that they will only take it out due to complications and not because you wish to have it out. At my hospital we are all told that neither operation is reversible (bypass or band)

I didnt find out until I started going to group sessions that its my choice on what op I have, and I have still not decided lol.

Back