• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello Everyone!

Abigail

Hi all,

My name is Abigail, I am 27, I live in London and I have made the decision to have a Gastric Bypass.

I had my first appointment today at the hospital.

I met with the clinical nurse, the dietitian and the surgeon. I am due to go back in the New Year with as yet unknown appointment date to see the psychologist and then I hope shortly afterwards, I'll have my surgery date.

I think the surgeon said yes to me regarding the surgery, is it normal to be seeing the psychologist if it was a no?

I hope to share my journey with you all and make some buddies along the way. :) xx

hello and welcome !

Hi Abigail, good luck with your journey.

Sorry I'm private so can't offer any advice on NHS but I'm sure if it was a no you would have no further appointments X

hi abigail welcome and good luck

Welcome x

Sorry, I didn't have to see a psychologist so can't answer your question. Which hospital are you at?

Thanks everyone!

I am at the University College Hospital.

Spring can't come quick enough. But then having said that, I want enough time to prepare myself so slow and steady wins the race. :)

Hello and welcome Abigail. I'm also in London. Do lots of reading, research including on your surgeon and prepare some questions. Having been on this board for a while it's very noticeable how the bariatric service provided around the country is variable with different types of best practice. Ideally it would be great if they implemented some form of benchmarking. Goes into corner and takes off managerial hat.

Good luck! Can I just ask how long it took to get to that point and did you have to do a weight management course first? : )

Hi Abigail, good luck on your journey hun :)

Hey up chick, Fancy seeing you here....

You could have asked me that, the answer is YES, because you have suffered with depression before now they want to make sure your well enough for the change in life...

cos like i said its not easy mate

Best of luck thou chicken, i'll be with ya all the way!!

Hi Abigail! I'm in the same position as you at the moment. Im 31, just had my 2nd appointment at derby royal infirmary. I had to speak with a dietician then the surgeon. It went really well and the surgeon said I had no option but to go for surgery so im taking that as confirmation that he's putting me forward for surgery!! I have my next appointment in 3 months which I havent recieved a date for yet then I hope I will be on the waiting list. Its scary but exciting. There was no mention of a pyschiatrist at any of my appointments so far but my doctor did originally say at some point that my be a formality so I wouldnt worry!! Right now i'm focusing on my diet and trying to loose weight. Good luck with your journey! keep me posted :)

Hi Abigail,

I have had to see the Psychologist at Derby because I have binge issues. He is really nice and will assess you for emotional eating and binge eating.

Good luck.

T

Hey!

I'm 22 and in Leicestershire. Pretty much in the same position as you but I haven't had to see a psychiatrist. I've been seeing the dietitian since may and I had my first appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday last week. He asked me if I wanted a particular surgeon, so I asked for him because he's the only one I've spoken to, and asked if I had a particular time of year in mind to which I said late march or mid may-mid june. Wishing now I'd have said any time until April!

Hi Abigail! I am a fellow Londoner and had my sleeve one year ago at the university college hospital too so any questions feel free to ask! The surgeons there are fantastic - I googled them all and they have had so much experience in this area. I also had to have extra appointments even without any history of depression. Hope all goes well and look forward to your updates !

Hi everyone and thank you all for your support. :)

A little update, I've got my psychologist appointment in the morning so hopefully all will go well and there'll be no issues with putting me forward for definite for the the surgery.

At the moment, I'm trying, even though I do have a few hiccups here and there, to eat a bit more basic and sort of implement the pre-op diet but not as strict kind of thing. There are times I fall flat but I'm getting there slowly. It's not going to happen straight away but my head is slowly catching up with what I should be doing.

Hope you're all well :) xxx

Back