• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello from another newbie...

annemw333

Six Month Post Op
Hello All! :wavey:

I am new to this forum but not exactly new to weight loss surgery. I am an American living in the UK, Birmingham to be exact. I had RNY gastric bypass in August of 2009 when I was still living back in the United States.

Since moving to the UK in September 2010, I have been so focused on my new life here that I have lost some focus on my weight loss. I am hoping to regain some focus, as well as me fellow WLS people in the UK. Knowing other WLS people in the US was such a big support for me.

I am also currently dealing with gallstones and have been forced to refocus my eating by cutting out nearly all the fat in my diet to keep from having any painful gallbladder attacks (one trip to A&E was enough for me).

So far I have lost nearly 150 lbs. While, I most definitely have not been the poster child for gastric bypass, I am still so very very glad I had the surgery. Had I not had it, I wouldn't even be living in the UK right now.

I'd LOVE to meet some new people who know what this journey is all about! Looking forward to making new friends as well. :sign0144:

Hi Anne and welcome to WLSurgery.com

I'm from Sutton Coldfield, so not far from you and had my surgery in August 2009 also so we are at the same stage.

We have a support group that meets monthly that you would be welcome to come along to. The next meeting is on 20th June at Harrisons Sports and Social in Great Wyrley at 7.30pm.

Your weight loss is fabulous. x

Welcome and congratulations on such a good weight loss x

Hi and welcome to the great forum, I am only start just starting my journey so not much advice to give you. Just to say that this forum is full of friendly supportive people that are only too willing to help

Good luck with your new life in the UK it is a great country and I am sure you will be happy

BigDave

Hi Anne and welcome to WLSurgery.com

I'm from Sutton Coldfield, so not far from you and had my surgery in August 2009 also so we are at the same stage.

We have a support group that meets monthly that you would be welcome to come along to. The next meeting is on 20th June at Harrisons Sports and Social in Great Wyrley at 7.30pm.

Your weight loss is fabulous. x

Thanks for the info Sam. Since I don't have a car, it may be a bit difficult for me to get from Harborne to Walsall but I will see what I can do (may try and see if I can get the boyfriend to drive me ;))

welcome and good luck with everything hun.xx

Welcome to the UK and welcome to the site.. I know how painful gallstones can be.. In and out of hospital from Jan - March 2011 after two failed keyhole surgery's then an open one to actually get the gallbladder out... I can only praise my surgeon for his determination to remove it safely.. So don't ignore the pain even if it means hospital! .. I am only two weeks post RNY gastric bypass... Still sore in places... But since January I feel the best I have felt in a long old time... Good luck with that gallbladder xx

Welcome to the UK and welcome to the site.. I know how painful gallstones can be.. In and out of hospital from Jan - March 2011 after two failed keyhole surgery's then an open one to actually get the gallbladder out... I can only praise my surgeon for his determination to remove it safely.. So don't ignore the pain even if it means hospital! .. I am only two weeks post RNY gastric bypass... Still sore in places... But since January I feel the best I have felt in a long old time... Good luck with that gallbladder xx

I haven't ignored the pain, trust me, but there is nothing I can really do in the meantime while I wait to see the consultant. I am cutting my fat intake WAY down, per my GP's suggestions, which has helped LOADS. I am still uncomfortable and bloated after eating but no excruciating pain, just an occasional stitch type feeling. It's not perfect but it's manageable until I can get the sucker taken out. As I am new to NHS, how long should I expect to wait, if anyone knows?

Can I also ask why the keyhole didn't work for you? I've never heard of that being a problem with gallbladder surgery before. Glad to hear they were finally able to get it out though and it's been a relief for you. I can't wait to have this thing out, it's pretty darn miserable right now but I am trying my best to manage, as I really have no other choice.

Good luck with your bypass. I love mine. I've had a really good journey so far (even with the gallstones). It's hard at times but oh so rewarding.

A report I found on an NHS website suggest that the average wait for a elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy is just over 4 months from referal to operation, across the whole NHS. It didn't report what the best or worst were!!

A report I found on an NHS website suggest that the average wait for a elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy is just over 4 months from referal to operation, across the whole NHS. It didn't report what the best or worst were!!

Thank you so much for finding that Chris! Man this is going to be a long few months. On a positive note, I'm bound to lose more weight and potentially reach "goal" with the diet I have to eat to keep from being in excruciating pain.

Welcome to the site and the UK! I had my gallbladder taken out in 2003 and had to have open surgery as my gb was so inflamed they couldn't do it by keyhole. I thought I wouldn't be able the have the bypass keyhold because of scar tissue in that area but they managed it no problem. I have never known pain like gallstones so I feel for you. This site is fab for both pre and post oppers x

Hi Anne and welcome to the site. I am a brummie :) however i moved out to Wolverhampton and am now living in glorious Wiltshire :)

The support groups are fab and if you can get to Walsall (i'm sure you can persuade the b/f) you will find it a great help. Boyfriends are encouraged by the way lol....

As for gall bladder i had mine out at the now defunct Selly Oak Hospital about 10 years ago and it was laporascopic not open. I don't remember waiting that long for my surgery either.... However it was some time ago.

Good luck with it and i hope to hear more from you xx

Hi Anne and welcome...sorry thought I had said hi already (added you on facebook but forgot to say hi here!).....sounds like you have done amazing already with losing the weigh after your op. Glad you have found this forum (they are all lovely and helpful here. Look forward to getting to know you xxx

ooooh i will add you Julie :D xxx

I have invited you to facebook Julie...silly me! may be easier if you add me...either click on the facebook icon by my name on the left or search for me: Tasha Delta (there is only 1 me :D) xxx

Back