• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New and looking for advice on surgery please =]

hippychick62

Hi everyone
This is my first time here. Been reading some of the threads and good to know I am not alone with my weight misery.
I am thinking of asking my GP about weight loss surgery, but would like a bit of advice first. I was wondering what BMI you have to be before being considered and if this varies from area to area? I am in Kent.
My BMI is 38 and I also have high cholesterol which I take medication for, borderline BP and joint problems. I also have self esteem and confidence issues related to my weight.
I have previously been prescribed Reductil by a different doctor and also taken Orlistat, but without any real success.
I am a bit scared of approaching him in case he refuses me.
Any advice gladly received. Thanks

yummymummytobe

my bmi was 43 Im 5ft 3 i had my surgery in jan of this year as you i ws prescribed both these tablets with no real success when i approached my dr i asked if she would refer me to have my jaws wired .... well she laughed @ me & referred me for surgery & its the best thing i have ever done x So go back to the dr & ask the relevent questions that will help you get the funding required for surgery xxxx Good luck xx

chloe79

hiya i was told by the doc that bmi was meant to be at 40 or above or 35 if diabetic
i would really ask yr doc hun dont get worred yr doc is there to help unot judge u in any way i never thought i would of got help but i have and i wont never turn the clock back now ive got a long way to go but i know 1 day soon i will be happy again hope u get it sorted

chloe :)

penguina

The nice guidelines I think are BMI 40 or 35 with serious health problems, but many PCT's have their own criteria. Some have moved the goalposts to very high BMI's.

But don't let that put you off asking, you have to start somewhere, and your health problems maybe a big factor. Please go and ask at least, as yummy says, this is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Good luck xx

poo bear

:welcome2::welcome2:Hi and welcome ,
I hope you find all the help and support you need !
Where abouts in Kent are you ?
Good luck with your wls journey .
Love Marie.

hippychick62

Thank you for the replies. I'm in Dartford so not sure who my PCT is or their guidelines. Is there anyway to contact them?

My doc not been overly supportive when I have mentioned my weight, thats why I am worried about talking to him. The first time spoke to him he gave me a leaflet and said follow that. I said if all it took was a leaflet to lose weight, no-one would be fat. Next time it was suggested I give up junk food and high fat foods. I was quite offended that he assume that because I'm overweight I stuff myself with rubbish! I rarely eat junk food and in fact have quite a good diet, I just eat too much.

Wish I could afford private as would be able to bypass him, but that isn't an option at the moment.