• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello - new to forum

fjsinc

Hello, just thought I'd say a hello. I'm new to the forum, and am desperately looking for 'real peoples' experiences of wls.

A little background, My name is Fiona, and I live in Kent. I'm 30 years old. My current weight varies between 21 and 22 stone. At my heaviest I was close to 27 stone. I work full time as a nurse in a busy ward environment (12 hour days). I'm pretty fit, can walk 5-6 miles no problem. The only weight related health problems I have are PCOS and hyperprolactemia. I recently got married, and my husband and myself would like to start a family. Naturally, my doctor is concerned about the impact my weight would have on a pregnancy. And that is after I achieve a difficult conception.

I have overeaten and binge ate my whole life, and have felt trapped and shamed by my reaction to food. Frankly, I hate my appetite, and dream of a time when food is not such a powerful force in my life.

I have had eating and weight issues for as long as I can remember, my mother says I was a ravenous baby.At age 13 I was 17 stone, by the time I was 22 I was nearly 27 stone. During this time I suffered from depression and anxiety. The last 8 years have seen me reduce my weight by 6 stone, largely by a slow and lasting change in my lifestyle (more exercise) and eating (better quality, nutrient rich foods). I have not always been honest with myself about my eating, but over that last few years I have vowed to be honest, and to examine the reasons behind my behaviour. During this time I have also taken some weight loss medication, which assisted to varying degrees.

I have not lost weight for 6 months or so (and its quite depressing). At the beginning of this year I was referred by my gp to a weight control group, who after going through my history, recommended that I be referred for weight loss surgery. I feel very hesitant about going through with it, but I feel that time is running out for me to start a family. And I cannot see another way of achieving the kind of weight loss that I need in the time in which I need to do it.

2 weeks ago I found out that my funding had been granted, I am still trying too get my head around it. Still trying to know if it is the best thing to do.

I realised I need to know how others have done during and after surgery. I also need practical advice, regarding which hospital to choose ( I have a list of 10).

Thanks for reading,

fiona

Welcome Fiona , there are so many success stories on here & for the most everyone is friendly & helpful . Ask loads of questions , however trivial or silly you feel they maybe , someone will know the answer , have done the same etc .
What op are you funded for ?

Hi Fiona, like you I have a good job and was quite mobile despite getting to 30 stone pre-op. Am very impressed by your weight loss. Can honestly say this is the best thing i've ever done. Gone is that feeling of needing food constantly, I eat at mealtimes and don't need or want snacks.

I still love my food. I probably enjoy it more now than I did before as I taste every small mouthfull. I just don't obsess about it - I focus on other things when its not a meal time.

Hi and welcome,
The surgery is not a miracle cure but it does help you lose a lot of weight in the 1st year. How hard it will be after that im yet to find out! I am just like you weight wise, big as a child and an adult.
So far the weight loss has been fantastic and im really glad i had the op. Keep coming on here and reading the posts, they are invaluable and give you all the info you need.
Hope you can get your head round it and good luck whatever you choose.

Kim

Thanks for the reply. My PCT grants funds first, then passes the case on to a surgeon. So I'm at the stage of picking which centre/surgeon to go to. So which op it will be will depend on the surgeons recommendations. But realistically, I know they will recommend the bypass. But banding will probably be on the table too.

Just do loads of research so you know all you need to know , imho its key to success .

Hi Fiona and congratulations on getting funding :)...

I am also in Kent and knowing what i know now i would choose a hospital with a dedicated bariatric department...
I am at St Georges in Tooting and it has taken 18 months since i was 1st refered to get on waiting list for surgery (which then is another 6 to 18 weeks) this is very slow !!!... I know St Richards in Chichester is quite quick and although its quite a way you tend to do all apointments in one day and not go too and fro 3 times like i had to... I am not sure about the other london hospitals but i think a few other people can tell you of waiting times at these..

Good luck with your choice..

Nicky xx

Hi Fiona pleased you got your funding sorted and hope you find the hospital of your choice soon and the waiting time isn't too bad. Good luck with your journey. xx

Hi fiona just wanted to say hello and welcome to the site and good luck with your wls xx

One of my friends was around 24 stone and was desperate for a child, and like me, after numerous (failed) diets she finally opted to have a gastric sleeve.
Two years on she has a beautiful and healthy baby boy :)
I was about 22 stone when I was lucky enough to fall pregnant (I wasn't trying) and I was also lucky to have a successful and easy pregnancy, and went on to have a gorgeous daughter :D
If like me, food seems to have ruled (and ruined) your whole life and you have tried for most of it to control your weight, I'd say that if by now you are still fighting a loosing battle, then WLS is something to seriously consider.
I was so sick of living in limbo and slowly loosing the will to live with every failed diet.
I hated the person who stared sadly back at me in the mirror, and I was clinically depressed. Since my gastric bypass my whole attitude to myself and life has changed.
I now look forward to my new future, being able to do all the wonder things with my child that my weight held me back on. Food is probably the last thing on my list these days, I eat at meal times, but I am not obsessed with food like I used to be. It's still very early days for me yet, but I know in my heart that this is the best decision that I have ever made!
Good luck with what ever you decide to do, I am sure what ever it is , it's the right choice for you. If you do decide to go ahead and have some type of WLS then know that this forum will encourage, advice and support you all of the way. ;)

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I think this forum is exactly what I needed to help me make an informed choice.
I am seriously considering Chichester, as I have heard nothing but good, and that waiting times are quick. However, its 85 miles away - and if repeated appointments are needed it could become a problem. I am also weighing up the merits of UCLH, Imperial and the Whittington.

Hi Fiona

I know what you about distance, thats why i chose St Georges and stuck with it as i am able to drive and park there and easier to be picked up after having op.. I wasnt sure about the other london hospitals and having to catch trains..

Nicky x

Back