• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello - newbie considering surgery :)

Tbh I can eat anything too. Too much sugar & I'll feel a bit sick (but not as bad as dumping) & I sneeze many times if I overload. My portion size has grown in 3 yr but still nowhere near to the average man. I suppose it's a difficult decision but if you're unsure a bypass is more severe (& has greater consequences) than a sleeve, but I believe that it may be the best option for people with many stones to lose x

yeah, my pct only offers band or bypass, not sleeve and i am definitely leaning towards the bypass but guess i am just nervous about it so holding off on actually making a decision. Just need someone to kick me :)

Hi, just thought I would add my two-penneth? Is that how you spell it?? I have over 13 stone to lose. 3 years ago, I had over 10 stone to lose and thought about the bypass but like you I thought it was way too serious and I would miss out on enjoying my life with my family and friends - bbqs, italian meals etc... 3 years on and after gaining that extra 3 stone - I know I am killing myself - and I know that at the current weight I am, there will be 20 years taken off my life - 20 years of not having bbqs, 20 years of not having the odd night out!! 20 years of my kids being on their own with no mum/grandma to their kids. That's what made me realise that, for me, there was no decision to make - I had to ask for the bypass - I had to save my life and if that means making huge changes to my personal life then so be it - at least I would be adding 20 years to that life!! Hope that wasnt preaching - just how I came around to making the decision. xx

I think that's the thing, i need to face up to the stark realities. At the moment my weight is starting to cause problems with my knees but i don't really see it is life threatening but if i don't lose weight that will be the next stages.
I think i will go away and write a pros and con list for having the bypass, i am sure the pro list will far outstrip the cons ;) I think in my heart, i know the answer, just need to make the commitment. There is a BOSPA group nearby, i might pop along there and have a chat

I think that we are all unsure pre op, because it is a life changing decision, for me I am thinking of it as a life saving decision. My son is young, and would I choose to have a huge Sunday lunch, or have Sundays to spend with him.

I am leaving some scope for extra support needed after the operation, enlisting the help of understanding friends and family. But everyone so far tells me that it is 6-12 months that is the tough time.

Good luck with your personal analysis.

Back