• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

May I introduce myself

TheLargeOne

Hi,

My name is Ian I'm a big guy weighing 211.3kg, BMI 66.8. I started seeing an Endocrinologist a few years ago for a non-weight related issue, since my first appointment he has been bugging me to have surgery. As he said i was clearly a food addict and the only way to cure my addiction would be to essentially take the food away from me, by way of a gastric bypass. I refused feeling more that i was just a fat chap who likes his food a bit too much and i could do it on my own (typical man thing, i know!). However after spending time with a counsellor, i finally hand to face up to the fact that i had a serious problem. And i told my endocrinologist i would go for the operation, he was over the moon and said he would write a letter to my GP asking her to refer me to the "weigh ahead" program run by Spire Healthcare, and within about 6 weeks i should start a 6 month Tier 3 program then have the surgery.

It's been a year since he asked my GP to refer me, after which first of all she tried to enrol me on a program for a different county. After a few months of me showing her how to do a referral to the spire, she said it was done and i should here soon. I have heard nothing, does anybody know if this is normal? I have had monthly appointments with my GP who says she doesn't know why i haven't heard anything. And my endocrinologist said that i seem to be falling through the cracks in the NHS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ian.

Hello and welcome.

You need to ring the weigh ahead people and find out if they received your referral. It sounds like they may not have.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

Hi, welcome nd good luck

Hi there @TheLargeOne welcome to this forum. I definitely think you need to contact the weigh ahead people. My local group was called weigh forward and I had to wait almost a year between referral and starting the course but I did have a telephone interview with them a few weeks after referral and they explained that there would be a wait as they keep the groups small. I was then invited to an information session to learn about the group. Then months later out of the blue I had a phone call offering me a place in a group starting the next week. Our group sessions were 2 hours weekly for 3 months, fortnightly for 3 months and then monthly for 6 months. So a year in total. Now I am waiting to hear from the surgeon and to see if I have NHS funding.
As your BMI is over 50 (mine is 47) I think your journey to surgery may be quicker. Fingers crossed for you x :)

Welcome aboard @TheLargeOne! I'm at L&D and it took me roughly 6 months from referral to my first appointment for tier 3, but I'd heard from them long before that regarding the referral via letter. Every area is different, but I hope you've chased this up now and have made some headway.

Welcome
If I was you I would be contacting them.
Have heard stories of peoples referrals getting lost in the system.

Hi,

My name is Ian I'm a big guy weighing 211.3kg, BMI 66.8. I started seeing an Endocrinologist a few years ago for a non-weight related issue, since my first appointment he has been bugging me to have surgery. As he said i was clearly a food addict and the only way to cure my addiction would be to essentially take the food away from me, by way of a gastric bypass. I refused feeling more that i was just a fat chap who likes his food a bit too much and i could do it on my own (typical man thing, i know!). However after spending time with a counsellor, i finally hand to face up to the fact that i had a serious problem. And i told my endocrinologist i would go for the operation, he was over the moon and said he would write a letter to my GP asking her to refer me to the "weigh ahead" program run by Spire Healthcare, and within about 6 weeks i should start a 6 month Tier 3 program then have the surgery.

It's been a year since he asked my GP to refer me, after which first of all she tried to enrol me on a program for a different county. After a few months of me showing her how to do a referral to the spire, she said it was done and i should here soon. I have heard nothing, does anybody know if this is normal? I have had monthly appointments with my GP who says she doesn't know why i haven't heard anything. And my endocrinologist said that i seem to be falling through the cracks in the NHS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ian.

Hi and welcome Hun x

Back