• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering surgery scotland based

journeytoslim

Hi everyone I've been considering surgery for a long time now and have read through all most all the posts and messages on this site!

Any recommendations for wls providers in Scotland and cost of surgeries would be greatly appreciated. I was looking to have a band but after reading all the stories now also considering a mini bypass instead. I'm 5ft2 and nearly 14 stones have underactive thyroid and take medication for it but it's never been fixed I'm always tired and have put on weight after having my 2 kids but just can't shift it, I'm so depressed and have tried diets, I exercised for 5 days doing high intensity training and cardio for 1.5hrs each day and lowered my food intake for over 2 months and barely lost 2lbs!! When I spoke to go he said it was due to having pcos and underactive thyroid and their side effects are weight gain. I've never been smaller than a 12-14 and now nearing a uk size 18 I just want to be healthy. Would be self funding the surgery so cost is a huge factor any advise and help would be greatly appreciated

Hi there!
I had a sleeve at spire Edinburgh, through weightloss Scotland, in Dec 2011. I started my journey at 16 stone 3, and have been maintaining around 9 stone 9 for 18 months. (I've also had a tummy tuck and boob uplift now to address skin issues!) I'm 5'2 (and a half!!)

The service provided was first class, I would highly recommend them.

If you have any other questions, fire away!!

Hello Journeytoslim

Welcome. I can totally sympathise with you about the exercise thing. I did a corporate challenge from May to September last year. Had to do at least 10,000 steps a day. Went to the gym every day even at 0630 on days I was working. There were little challenges through such as 'double your best score day' and suchlike. Quite often I would be on the treadmill for 2 or 3 hours. I don't have weighing scales so waited until my oncology appointment and put on 2kg. I have no trouble going to the gym and don't care what people there think but that just made me question why bother. I am on several tablets and asthma puffers and can feel that I am putting on weight still. I am wanting to get a sleeve or mini bypass but can't until we have completed the sale of our house so am in limbo at the mo.

Oh crikey, I do go on don't I! So sorry for hijacking your post. Just wanted to say welcome and you are not alone. Also, it's a lot cheaper abroad so keep your options open.

Debbie

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! Really appreciate the support, it's just so de motivating when I'm doing all the right things to not get any results back, I know the weight gain has crept up slowly and won't go away overnight.

@Crackers169 that's amazing that you have maintained such a great weight! Who did your surgery and if you don't mind me asking how much was it. I have been in contact with wls who said that the nearest hospital they could do surgery was Glasgow but suggested their Manchester hospital cause it's much cheaper but I really don't want to be travelling far! Id love to hear more about your journey and how you lost the weight after surgery was it a struggle?

Thanks again for replying ;))

Hi! My surgery was done by Andrew De Beaux, but the whole team are brilliant. It cost just under 10k. I know it is expensive, but for me it was more important to be nearer to home. However what I have realised is that the support offered is really fantastic, and that was worth it.

I think you can book an initial free consultation with Lorna, the nurse. She is brilliant and very good at sussing out how determined you are and if surgery is right for you. What I also liked was that I had to really convince them that I wanted the surgery even although i was paying for it, whereas I did contact some companies based further South and they seemed more interested in the business rather than the correct decision for me.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Sorry missed a bit!

I basically lost the weight by following their pre and post op diet advice, and the sleeve really does help me eat less. As soon as I began to lose weight, i was also motivated to do exercise - which helped too.

Thanks crackers that's great to hear ure story and to know that they aren't just looking for your money!! I've emailed them for a consultation and will c what happens from there

Hi there I was sleeved with the Bmi group in Aberdeen @ approx 10k. Could have got it cheaper if I traveled to England with another provider but like you wanted to be close to home.
I have a great team, can't fault them, helpful and supportive.

Good luck

Thanks for replying I've booked a consultation with weight loss scotland near home will c what they say I've just recently had a huge increase in appetite it's horrible ;( I had my dinner and after an hr felt like i could have eaten more! I'm just scared as the weight is creeping on and I'm becoming less active I know I have to do something as I've never been as heavy as I am now 14 stone for a short 5ft1 person ;(

Also feel like the top of my stomach is poking into my ribs and makes me feel like I'm pregnant again it's awful so uncomfortable but praying that this is the first step to a new me

Back