• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hello - uncertain about surgery and seeking views

Neil Shaw

Hi everyone I am seriously considering weight loss surgery but remain very uncertain about having surgery and would prefer a gastric balloon but know the weight loss success and sustaining the results after the balloon is removed could be problems.

My BMI is 34 but has been as high as 40 in the past. I did manage to get my BMI down to 30 about 2 years ago but have struggled to maintain it - why - well simply I overeat and move too little - but accepting that has had little affect on my ability to avoid eating in secret and eating too large portions. I do more exercise at the gym and dog walking than I have done for many years but still find it hard to do enough every day.

At my heaviest I had sleep apnoea but this has been cured by the weight loss I have achieved. I also have high blood pressure and atrial fibrillation (AF) both controlled by drugs and all these of course are related to being obese. I have had 2 catheter ablation heart operations to try and cure the AF but both have failed to cure the symptoms completely although the improvement has meant the drug control is more effective.

The weight I have lost was by following the 5:2 diet and increasing exercise but everyday remains a real challenge. I have of course tried many other diets over the years none have been as effective as the 5:2.

I would still like to lose another 3 stone, making a total of 6 stone from my heaviest.

So the options I am considering are:

1. stick to the natural approach of dieting and exercise - has achieved part success but has proved difficult to maintain
2. Gastric balloon - may achieve a little more than 1, but has the same weaknesses - but not full surgery and reverses at end of treatment
3. Laparoscopic sleeve by keyhole surgery - may achieve greater weight loss and could be a permanent solution - but is a full operation with higher risks and longer recovery

I should say I am in my 50's and have been overweight or obese all my adult life.

So there you go that is my predicament all thoughts and experiences welcome to help me reach a decision.

To be honest with a bmi of just 34 I think you will find it very difficult to find a provider that will undertake surgery in this country, unless you have already agreed this with someone. For the NHS I think you are really looking at a bmi of around 45 with comorbidities.

As difficult as diet is to maintain weight loss (most of us have been there) in your situation at the moment I would say that would be your healthiest option - surgery comes with risks and its own difficulties post surgery - change of lifestyle, complications, psychological issues and huge adjustments.

Good luck!

My advice is read a lot and also look on the American forums..lots of long termers on there who have interesting stories. Do what is best for you, the sleeve is a life changer but it is a tool and once the honeymoon period is over it is easy to start putting the weight back on. It takes will power long term. The balloon is quite costly and once it's removed the likelihood is the weight will creep back on. Good luck on your choice

None of the above

Would recommend Therapy to find out why you are a secret eater. WLS only works when your head knows why it is doing it.

Hello and welcome!

Sorry but we cannot advise you, we can only offer you support. That's all we're qualified to give. With this in mind I have removed your poll, sorry but I would not want anyone basing such an important decision on the votes of a few of us.

If you're serious about going down the surgery route you really need to start researching and also speaking to people who are qualified to advise, such as surgeons, consultants etc. It's about finding the best option for you and only you.

Good luck with your research x

Hi and welcome, I'm unable to offer advice as it really has to be your choice, I do know that Luton and Dunstable a BMI of 35 or over with comorbitities will make you eligible for wls but this could well be different at other hospitals, good luck with whichever route you choose

I think if all this therapy worked in the first place you wouldn't have needed an operation...lets face it some of just just like food too much because it tastes great not because we have underlying mental health issues.

I think if all this therapy worked in the first place you wouldn't have needed an operation...lets face it some of just just like food too much because it tastes great not because we have underlying mental health issues.

To be honest with a bmi of just 34 I think you will find it very difficult to find a provider that will undertake surgery in this country, unless you have already agreed this with someone. For the NHS I think you are really looking at a bmi of around 45 with comorbidities.

As difficult as diet is to maintain weight loss (most of us have been there) in your situation at the moment I would say that would be your healthiest option - surgery comes with risks and its own difficulties post surgery - change of lifestyle, complications, psychological issues and huge adjustments.

Good luck!

I fully agree with Kar8858. My bmi at the beginning of this journey was 33 but for me, I was reaching the point of no return and was becoming completely miserable and depressed.

After over 20years at different slimming clubs, with high blood pressure and high cholesterol I decided that enough was enough. I was never going to lose successfully lose the weight on my own so I decided on Wls.

7 weeks later and a weight loss of 21lbs I couldn't be happier with my decision. It is taking some getting used to, but I no longer overeat, because I can't!

That's just how I was...so I decided to do something about it..too much over indulgence which was effecting my health.
Well done on your loss topcliffe! Everyone has a different journey and for their own reasons..good luck on yours x

Back