• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery & Being Disabled

gayleidane

I'm a 64 year old disabled woman who had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago this coming aug. Due to my limited exercise ability, my weight loss has been slower than some but I'm still losing ever so slowly. I'm at 93.2 lbs lost and my goal is to lose 125 lbs. I track my daily protein, liquids & now calories to help me reach my goal. My major achievement thus far, besides the weight loss of course, is I used to be in a wheelchair but now have limited walking abilities. It's a thrill to be able to walk to my mailbox!

I'm a 64 year old disabled woman who had gastric bypass surgery 2 years ago this coming aug. Due to my limited exercise ability, my weight loss has been slower than some but I'm still losing ever so slowly. I'm at 93.2 lbs lost and my goal is to lose 125 lbs. I track my daily protein, liquids & now calories to help me reach my goal. My major achievement thus far, besides the weight loss of course, is I used to be in a wheelchair but now have limited walking abilities. It's a thrill to be able to walk to my mailbox!

Awww that is wonderful for you, honey :) we all have our goals but this for you must feel like such an achievement after being in a wheelchair. I am sooo pleased for you & hope you go on to reach your goal. Welcome to the forum & hope you feel at home enough to keep us posted with your progress xxx :):)

hiya Gay, welcome to the site :) a big congrats for you weight loss and walking, thats some achievement!! well done :) xxx

Fantastic - welcome to the site.

Thank you so much for posting!!!!!! You have reassured me so much that i am doing the right thing.

I too am disabled and either use a chair or sticks, but so desperate to avoid being in a chair permanently, hence doing the bypass now. I know that my weight loss will be slower than others - it is more for me about not putting anymore on, but to loose that much is great! would be lovely to see some pics of before and after. Do you suffer with pain? if so did the op affect the levels in any way? any advice on how to cope after the op initially? Shelley

Hi there

Just to let you know, your not the only one....

I've just had a gastric band done 3 days ago...and I am also disabled with 8 different illnesses. hopefully the loss of weight to come will ease some of the symptoms of some of the illnesses in the future, which may inturn make life a bit more easier for me to cope with.

My worse illness is Fibromyalgia...which makes me feel like im 90yrs old. When in fact I am only 34yrs old. It reduces my mobility, and anything I do, even walking to the bathroom, will take a good hour to recoup from. There are so many symptoms to this awful illness that I had to take matters into my own hands...And push myself to have a gastric band. As weight loss can help reduce some of the symptoms Ive been told.
My sciatica Neuralgia has reduced a touch, since loosing a 16lbs since I started my pre op and had my surgery...So I can see some good things happening already.

With excersize and disabilities...there are ways which can help....chair excersizes, light swimming, pilates even from home off a dvd...perhaps look into other ways than the conventional ways x

Wow you have done so well xx so glad you are able to move around without your chair xx

Back