• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello,

maychick

Hi everyone,

I've made the hard decision to have weight loss surgery, Bypass i think maybe the best option but i'm happy to go alone with the surgeon's recommendation as to which procedure is the most suitable for me. I feel it's my only hope to lose weight now as i just can't seem to diet anymore without pilling the weight plus more on :cry: My BMI is 53 :cry: i'm only 5f"3in tall, I feel done in all the time i've had enough... My gp has made an referral to see the surgeon. I've just getting an appointment for to go to Sunderland Royal for a seminar in May.... Can anyone tell me what to expect from the seminar? and then what will happen next? etc....

I hope the surgeon can do the op as i now feel that it's my only hope.... My hubby knows that I want the op and is worried about the impact of my weight has on my health and although he rather i dieted, he supports me 100% even though it scares him. Nobody else knows that I want the op, I can't face telling people yet as i'm just too ashamed of myself and can't face people judging me and giving their opinion( such "why don't you just diet? or eat less" using nhs money etc).. I hate the fact it has come to this but i feel i have no choice....really pleased that i have found this forum:) Got a feeling i maybe needing to post more;)...Thanks for reading xxxxxx

hello!
welcome to a great site,lots of people all been where you are and have made the choice to re start his/her life again.dont ever let anyone think the decision you have made is an easy one it takes some of us months even years to get to that point and then the path only just starts visits to hospitals seeing loads of professionals, tests for everything its a real slog and at times you could think why is it so hard but it will be worth it.
im not at the stage of having the op (maybe band or bypass yet to be decided)but im glad im on the road to a new life in fact it cant start soon enough for me .
ive only told my sister ,my boss and my team leader will tell everyone else when I get a date or if I can hold on till the week of the op more so to stop the worry I can cope with the (if any )negative vibes but im sure there wont be any
good luck and keep us posted

Hi Leannemay. Your story sounds so familiar - sure it will to lots of others on here too! Good luck with your journey. Can't really help you on seminars as only went to one at a private hospital. Just be prepared for information overload - it can all be a bit daunting to begin with. Strongly suggest you keep an open mind on which type of surgery because different procedures suit differrent people, depending on eating habits, other illnesses. etc.

I am definitely one of those in favour of not telling people - I could not have coped with the negative comments from the uneducated, so kept it to a handful of family/friends to begin with.

Good luck,

Thanks los in it....:) I think i will tell more people the week before the op too (if i can get the op)...I don't normally care what people think, but at the moment i feel like I'm not ready to face telling people as i've only just got my head round the hard choice I've made (if that makes any sense) I feel a bit emotional drained at the minute but i must say I do feel better by posting on here :) xxx

Hi and welcome to a fab site sweetheart :) firstly congratulations on making the decision........ its not easy but when its really affecting your life something has to be done right!! i know, as for me it was last chance hotel to get my life and health back......... i have not met anyone who has been an a** over NHS funds, but i did meet a lady a couple of weeks back who had had that same reaction............ My answer in short would be they are offering to give me a life saving operation!!! Tell only who you must, i told everyone, but have had a few sticky moments along the way lOl get yourself of to the seminar and on the road to a new you hunni :) welcome again x x x i wish you all the very best , keep us posted x x x

Thanks Carrie b...yes I will keep an open mind, happy to go along with whatever the surgeon thinks it the best for me:)

hi and welcome the hardest part is making the choice to have surgery i think then it gets easier though its far from easy if that makes sense i am newly bypassed 2 weeks ago and wouldnt change a thing good luck on whatever you decide is the best option for you

Hi leannemay and welcome. I'm also newly bypassed, 2 weeks today.

It's a bit of a roller coaster to be honest. I started off by asking my GP for a band, then after I got my referral, went to the info session and knew I wanted a bypass, for the greater results.

I then had a wait to see the shrink on 12th March this year and was given a surgery date of 16th April.

My advice - YouTube! Look up the ops, learn what each procedure is all about. Do your research - there's tons of stuff online about bariatric surgery.
Don't tell loads of people. In fact, tell as few people as possible. You'll find people are both clueless and judgemental. This is your decision, nobody else's.
Once your decision is made - stick to your guns.

You'll be fine, best of luck. Oh, Sunderland Royal Hospital? You'll be under Mr Peter Small - Consultant Surgeon.

You've made the best decision already - choosing this forum.

All the very best for your future

David..x

hi and welcome, good luck with whichever you choose x

Hi Leanne I had my bypass at Sunderland in January, the team are great, it was 16 month from seminar to op date but I believe things are a bit faster these days

Thanks David, thats great advice..i'll take a look on YouTube...:) This forum has made me feel loads better and my head is much more clearer than it's been in a while.

Really nice to see some local people on here too who are from thw north east.

Thank you all for your support..xx

Back