• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help! Deficiencies/medical issues post op?

Tiggerific

I Love my Bypass!
Hi all

It has been a little while since I posted and I am afraid this is a "woe is me" one :sigh:

I had my bypass in April 2011 and have, to date, lost just over 10 stone :D I am still in the obese BMI category with a BMI of 31ish. I am nearly at the end of my "2 year window of opportunity" and have stuck fast with the weight loss.

A little about myself: I was an insulin dependent diabetic pre bypass but now take no diabetic medication BUT I now cannot get my blood sugars above 4 most days and hypo on average 4 times a day. This means I have to eat carbs to reset my sugars, resulting in little or no weight loss for about 4 months now but more annoyingly are the hypos, they are as low as 1.6 on occasions and they really are awful! I didn't get that low on massive doses of insulin!!

My other problems post op are deficiencies (which started very early after WLS!) I am deficient in vitamin D, folic acid, B12 and iron. I take oral meds for all except B12 which I have 3 monthly injections. B12 is now borderline but the others are rather low. Vitamin D was as low as 6!! I have had loading doses of B12 and vit D and now take Adcal D3, folic acid and ferrous fumerate orally, as well as forceval. I also have a high PTH and this has been pooh-poohed by the GP, he was saying it was because of the vit D deficiency but he just keeps prescribing Adcal!! grrrr He tells me that I have a loading dose and that should have been sufficient and all he can do is prescribe high dose calcium and vit D in Adcal. I really do not want osteoporosis in 5-10 years time cos I have been left with no treatment!! I feel fobbed off to be honest and was wondering if anyone else has had other treatments??

I have (last Thursday) had my bloods done again (I insist on every 3 months since bypass) by my GP surgery and will hopefully get the results tomorrow.

I have also recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by a Rheumatologist (GP again insisted it was weight related pains I was experiencing) The Rheumy has also told me that my knocked knees (had since childhood) should be addressed by a podiatrist and that I need physio. I have had x-rays to look for damage.

Also (bored yet??? lol) I have a huge incisional hernia from previous gallbladder surgery 4 years ago that has been mended twice (the last in August this year) and it has unfortunately come undone again. The surgeon has suggested I have an apronectomy along side another hernia repair. I am due to see him again on the 17th December with the results of a recent CAT scan. I know a couple of people have had the same procedure and would like some advice on this too, please???

Anybody with any helpful advice?? RE: hypos, Fibromyalgia, deficiencies, apronectomy/hernia repair together?????

I am in constant pain, I wear a Butrans (morphine) patch, take Tramadol and pop paracetamol like smarties! I am completely and utterly shattered all the time, both mentally and physically. I have not worked for over 3 years now!!!

I do not regret my bypass at all!!! but do feel quite let down with after care, my bariatric team have not been the greatest to be honest and have never offered any decent advice. When I rang them regarding deficiencies I was told to see my GP! and when I asked about hypos I was sent an appt with the dietitian who told me to eat complex carbs duh!!!

HELP!!??!!! xxxxx :sign0009:

Alica x

Paula Garner

Buy yourself some high dose vit d from amazon and take it alongside the adcal. My vit d levels were 12 and adcal didn't touch me. I now take 5000iu of vit d3, which I bought on amazon for £10, and haven't looked back. Try it, you won't regret it.

Sorry that's all the help I can give :)

chrisa

It was lovely to hear from you nut sorry it wasnt in better circumstances you really have got it all going on. I have been on adcal from day 1, as well as th eirpn and the h/s multivits, I have had my bloods done 3 times and never been told anything so presume all must be ok. I have my regular 3 month B12 jabs. I was guna be prone to osteoporosis because I have been going through the menopause whilst in my mid 30's but i refused HRT as i didn't want to put more weight in and I had seen others balloon with it. 10 years later been a year and half since my last period but recently one of my knuckle joints on my finger has got a lump on it, nit very big but it aches and hurts when its cold and looks red, hurts to bend I think it is the start of arthritis, but not had it checked out yet. x Hope you get something sorted and soon don;t know what to suggest really. x

Wibble

Hi all

A little about myself: I was an insulin dependent diabetic pre bypass but now take no diabetic medication BUT I now cannot get my blood sugars above 4 most days and hypo on average 4 times a day. This means I have to eat carbs to reset my sugars, resulting in little or no weight loss for about 4 months now but more annoyingly are the hypos, they are as low as 1.6 on occasions and they really are awful! I didn't get that low on massive doses of insulin!!

I am absolutely no expert at all but do have Type 1 diabetes and am insulin dependant (Have been for nearly 30 years). I do know for a fact hypo's are on a level with dumping when it comes to the nastiness scale. Your low sugars are not right for someone who takes no diabetes meds-if my sugars were 1.6 I'd be in A&E! It sounds like you are no longer diabetic but could you ask to see a Diabetic/Endocrinology Consultant? And I know you don't want to do this but I think you need to keep with the complex carbs.
I have varying theories on insulin and weight loss. I know that since my op 2.5 years ago I have had to constantly adjust my insulin down to the point where I am now on about 5% of the the insulin I used to take. I've had to do that myself, my body can't, but in a non-diabetic, it should. Please remember these are my personal experiences/opinions and I have no medical training! I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest but keep badgering for help. All the best with everything x