• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help! I can't eat slowly.

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I just can't do it. I know each mouthful should only be the size of the rubber on the tip of a pencil, but that seems ridiculously tiny to me. How am I meant to chew that 20 times?

Everyone in my family eats really fast at mealtimes. We always have done. I've tried and tried to slow down but I just keep shovelling it in. I'm only having tiny portions but it's like mentally I need to get the food out of the way. I can't stand to sit there with it for 20 mins. So after most meals I have chest pain and am sometimes sick not long after. As a result I've gone back a stage and am surviving mostly on liquids and yoghurts. Last night I did try a little bit of baked potato with cheese and again I found myself eating far too fast. The only way I could stop was to give the food to the dog.

I think that I'm still bingeing aren't I? Very small amounts so I'm still losing weight, but I'm worried about damaging my pouch.

Any tips?

Make sure you're sat down, away from any distractions, which may include your family while you sort this out. Only put a small amount on your plate, about half what you expect to eat, and put the rest somewhere else for after. Maybe have some gentle relaxing music on in the background.

Don't count the chews, just take a very small bite and chew until liquid. Put your fork down while chewing. Swallow, count to 3, then pick your fork up again.

It sounds extreme, but you need to break your current habits ASAP as firstly staying on liquids/purée long term is not good for you and secondly neither is trapped wind in your pouch from eating too fast.

It takes 2 weeks to set a new habit, so be persistent with the solid foods and new way of eating and eventually it will become normal to you.

If you are still struggling you'll need to go back to your team for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sounds like great advice form Shell. I too will be trying this Yorkie as I am struggling with eating slowly. I got food stuck yesterday and it was scary. We can do this, we have been through so much to get here, we cant let it beat us now. Good Luck and chew, rest, chew, rest x

no1 basic wls eating rule !

knife & fork rule ! BETWEEN EACH MOUTH FULL PUT DOWN THE KNIFE AND FORK & DO NOT PICK THEM UP AGAIN UNTILL THE PREVIOUS MOUTHFULL HAS BEEN PROPERLY CHEWED & SWALLOWED.

Good luck x

Thanks Yorkiegal for this thread sorry you're struggling so much, and to Shel & Liz for the advice like Mandy I to will take g heed and trying to put it into practice as I move along this pathway to solids. I have found I spoon in the mouthfuls to quickly at times already not to the point of being sick but the pain definately but with these conscious steps to take to eat properly and safely hopefully I will now stop them. Thanks again to you all.

I have found doing a suduko puzzle or a crossword while eating slows me down (I have to keep putting my folk down to fill in the blanks LOL)

Hehe after years of telling the kids off for bringing things to the table I need to do what I told them not to. Ah well time to fallback on the old do as I say not as I do retort. Lol

i'm just starting to realise this. I've just started having abit of sloppy weetabix and you can definitelty feel it when you have too much on the spoon. I slowed right down and could immediately feel the difference. Trial and error x

I was worried about this so started slowing down and chewing lots when I started pre-op. It's become a habit now but I must say that once I've chewed 20 times I can't swallow and have to chew even more. Everything seems to go through a dry stage at 20 chews. I keep meaning to get a toddlers knife and fork as well as that's supposed to help. The putting down the knife and fork is good too.
great thread Y and hope you crack it soon
x

thanks everyone. Tried my best to eat slowly with a jacket potato this afternoon and for the first time didn't have any chest pain. Once I'd finished I had to clean up the pool of drool my boxer had made on the carpet though lol. He gets to eat the potato skin.

yorkiegal said:
thanks everyone. Tried my best to eat slowly with a jacket potato this afternoon and for the first time didn't have any chest pain. Once I'd finished I had to clean up the pool of drool my boxer had made on the carpet though lol. He gets to eat the potato skin.

That's a great start then! It shows you CAN do it, you just need to persevere x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

This is such a helpful thread; I'm still pre-op, but this is one (of many) things I'm worrying about, so concerned that I will forget and gulp or swallow too much too quickly, been trying to practise chewing but definitely need to try harder! x

This is such a helpful thread; I'm still pre-op, but this is one (of many) things I'm worrying about, so concerned that I will forget and gulp or swallow too much too quickly, been trying to practise chewing but definitely need to try harder! x

Before my band I tried practising with chicken and salad. Completely different after band though. Don't be worried. I am so afraid of something getting stuck that I just can't take big mouthfuls. I've gulped coffee and gulped water and it hurts sp I defo don't want food to get stuck.

I so need to learn this trick... Okay i did when in the first few months post op and then the old demon of get it eaten before it gets cold came back. Occasionally it bites me on the backside, like when i had reheated gammon n veg for work and ate it quick due to time constraints, but on the hole i've been okay...

Learn it now Yorkie as there's nothing worse than rabid dog syndrome xx

I'm really surprised at just how slow you do have to eat. And the teeny tiny amounts as well. Just everyone beware the chest discomfort...thats a sure sign of eating too fast and too much at once x

Even almost a year out I still eat from a side plate and eat with a teaspoon, it definitely helps me from shoveling in too much , I was a super speedy eater pre op. xx

BlueDiamond said:
Even almost a year out I still eat from a side plate and eat with a teaspoon, it definitely helps me from shoveling in too much , I was a super speedy eater pre op. xx

Me too.
I judge my portion sizes by my tea plate and I also use a teaspoon. This works for me :)

im completly the same YG i have this chest pain on a regular basis i have totally tried to slow things down and i worry i am doing my pouch damage! i used to stand and eat what i was making im now trying to make an effort to make it and have it on the plate sit down and focus when i eat. xx

Back