• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Struggling to eat ?

debbie125

I never thought I'd say it but I'm struggling to eat I'm 7 weeks post bypass and I have tried all variations of chicken and can't eat it it always gets stuck no matter how much I try it. I tried an omlette and scrambled egg but they made me feel sick so haven't tried them again as just don't fancy them. I bought a protein whey powder but it just made me dump when made with milk so made it with water but it's disgusting so can't stomach that either the only thing I can eat is porridge which I have every day for breakfast and big soup chilli which has a decent amount off protein in I'm adding marvel powder to it and having milky coffees but some days they make me feel sick too I'm also having baby bel lights but I've been feeling really dizzy and lightheaded lately any suggestions on what else I can eat would be greatly appreciated x

Llora

Have you tried fish?(salmon, cod, smoked or cooked?) Maybe that would be better than chicken? Did you try turkey breast mince? Or beef mince? What about cheese? Laughing cow or just slices of lower fat cheese? Did you try some lentils and pulses?

I eat a lot of chicken.. So its a tough one for me to think what else you could have..

Maybe you need to call your bariatric nurse to double check if there isnt anything to worry about? Did you have any post op appointments already?

Good morning Debbie,

I'm nearly 8 months post op and still struggling to eat chicken!!
I struggle with lots of foods and have no appetite. I get nausea and the runs most days. I've had every test the hospital can do to try to resolve the problem but we haven't got the answer yet.

In less than 8 months I have lost 11 stone and feel rubbish most days.

I hope you get sorted but it might be you may never be able to eat chicken. I'm better if the meat has been minced and reformed.... (nice)

Good luck

Sharon

Curls40

Hello ladies,
I eat chicken , seven weeks post mini by pass this week,
I mostly eat chicken done in the slow cooker, in curries or casseroles, etc. it breaks down tender,I always use breast meat,
But the other day I made a curry on the hob, and I couldn't digest the chicken and was sick, so just. Goes to show it's the cooking method that helps,
Salmon cooked in foil with a sprinkle of olive oil, in the oven is lovely, too. This is soft and tender and melts in the mouth,
I also add lentils to casseroles and curries . Good source of protein,

Curls40

Also pork mince is easier to digest, I make lasagne with it, but again I always cook the mince in slow cooker.

los in it

im about 8 weeks (op on sept 18 2014) post op and I can eat chicken (well cooked and soft), fish, pork(well cooked with sauce) rice did try eggs a few times but eggs don't like me so ive given that up
ive just had a portion of home made roasted chilli chick peas (thanks Stacey 86(?)which are protein packed but be careful you don't end up been a human trumpet!

Angie E

Debbie125, I can relate to where your coming from.
As for me my stomach just can tolerate chicken, salmon or mackerel. I'm having a hard time 4 week's post trying to get my protein intake. Instead I have stuck for now using Whey protein shakes , scrabble egg with milk, lots of homemade soups with vegetables and adding Marvel to them. Also mash potatoes with cheese is all I can handle for now. I keep trying out new stuff to see how my body reacts and sometimes food feels ok or like a big lump in my throat and sometimes within minutes I start to vomit. I hoping that all will change in a couple of months but for now it is a process of eliminating foods and trying out new ones until my body settles. Good luck

Last edited:

debbie125

Thanks for your advice ladies I found big soup chilli and loved it and it had lots of protein in but Heinz have stopped making it ? so I get my protein in by having omelettes and goodness protein shakes occasionally. I made lasagna with pork mince and saved just the mince part for me but just couldn't stomache it at all I've just gone completely off meat. I've also been eating danio yogurts as they're high in protein and I add sanatagen protein powder to skimmed milk and tea and coffee. I had my bloods done recently and all was ok ?

nicola1723

It took me ages to be ok with meat again post bypass. You'll find things change from one day to the next! I can eat all meat fine now but still in pretty small portions and I still chew it plenty otherwise it can still come back to haunt me!! :/