• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help! I was set on a band now being advised a bypass??

Isha xxxx

HI
I was so set on a band and went to meet the surgeon and a few providers and they all thought the bypass would be better? So now i feel back to square one:sigh:
Im soooo confused and need some help advice please.
I currently weigh 19 stone and need to be 12.7 for ivf! So i didnt start this journey to be thinner but still it would be fantastic lol
Im not very good wiv will power but felt that i could do it, on the other hand a bypass seems to do a lot more of the work for u and a more rapid weight loss but feel scared of the thought of no option of return! Even thou i want to be slimmer forever (confusing i know)
But thats just it im very confused as they both seem to have pros and cons?
Thinking of going wiv Dr el hasani with the WLS providers.
Thanks for reading ;)
Any advice is good, and i respect that both surgeries are fantastic.

Hi Isha, Ultimately it will be your decision which path you take but the Surgeon will advise you based upon the amount of weight you have to lose plus your eating habits. It could be that they feel you may not loose sufficient weight with the band and although there are no guarantees that a bypass will work the average weight loss with a bypass is higher.
Your concerns aren't new, everyone of us has had that thought .."am I doing the right thing" and only you will know the answer to that. I know I had second thoughts for many months, but the thought of spending the rest of my life the size I am against the possibility of being able to enjoy quality time with my Grandchildren (when they come along) for me it was a no Brainer.
I hope this has helped in some way and good luck with whatever you choose :)

if you eat lots of things like ice cream and chocolate, they slide through a band, if you eat large meals the band stops it. Eating choc, ice cream etc with a bypass, you will dump big time. Im sure you will make the right deciaions, good luck :) x

Thank you x
Yes i do eat large portions! and if im honest i think they if i could cheat then i might!!
CONFUSED LOL! however i will be defo having a op very soon and hope all goes well.
what are the bad side effects to the bypass that you all know of? and the band?
thank you.

Hi Isha

I weighed the same as you and am now at the goal weight you want to be. I had a band BUT that was the right choice for me!

If you have been advised that the bypass would be best for you have they explained why? Eating habbits are usually a factor.

Good luck, Im sure you will make the right decision for you x

HI well done Mazza x
Basicly i went for a consultation and was set on the band however the surgeon seem to think that a bypass would be better for me?
i eat large portions and i have will power, but i guess it could mess up at times!?
they said it was a large amount of weight to take off with the band? but im so scared about the side effects of the bypass.
how long did it take you to lose the weight? did you have to work really hard?
im very confused :(

Hi I was at goal in less than 2 years and no I didnt have to work really hard. I was determined to embrace the new way of eating and activity. This meant completly giving up bread, rice and pasta and not trying them incase I could eat them etc. I would probably have reached goal quicker if it wasnt for the other operations (unrelated) I had along the way.

Have a read of my diary when you get to 50 posts its in the banders section - its long but it may give you an insight into the life of a bander x

i didnt want the band i just wanted the bypass that way its done and theres no removal years later but that was my choice good luck

Hi, I was also 19 stone in February and I'm now 14stone 10lbs.
For me the band was the obvious option. I didn't want to have permement surgery and the possible downsides of a bypass scared me. Dumping etc.
However, the band has been much harder than I thought it would be. it is very easy to cheat the band. Willpower is still very much needed. (for me anyway.)
The plusses for the band are...I can still eat normal food and eat socially, and also still have occasional sweet treats.
Also the band can be removed if need be.
The downsides are like I said that you can still makes bad choices with food.
WLS is life changing which ever route you take and I'm sure all options have their ups and downs.
Good luck with your choice.
Karen x

I went for my Consults wanting the Band... then settled on Sleeve.... Good Luck whatever you decide ;o) x

I've got some of the bad side effects of a bypass. Firstly I have chronic malabsorption, which means I absorb very little of what I eat (the quoted rates are 30-70% so there are going to be some people at each end) and so have to eat a high calorie high fat diet in order to maintain my weight. This can be a pain but I would rather be like this than fighting to reach goal and then stay there.

Secondly I have reactive hypoglycaemia. This causes random blood sugar plummets which I take a load of sugar to reverse. This started when I fell pregnant 8 months post op so might not have happened if I'd waited the recommended time. But, its easily managed and not a major problem.

As I said I fell pregnant post op and had a healthy happy pregnancy. The bypass wasn't a problem at all, although the malabsorption meant I lost weight over the pregnancy.

If you want to lose the weight quickly for the ivf then a bypass generally provides faster results and according to some surgeons has a lower complication rate and a higher success rate. BUT most surgeons recommend you wait 1-2 years before trying for pregnancy so with effort and dedication the band could achieve this in that time.

Is the sleeve an option? It's a good middle ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back