• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help - I'm All Confused!!

Wibble

Hello everyone. I'm new here and very confused!! Back in December, after a year of serious thinking and research, I asked my GP if she would refer me for Bariatric Surgery to which she whole-heartedly agreed. The first appointment came through in January and this was with the senior dietician. We went through all the details of my diet, etc., and she said she was going to recommend me for surgery. The appointment with the Surgeon came through for March, we met and talked about all the pre-reqisites I'd have to fulfill - stopping smoking (done - go me!!), Sleep Disorders Investigations (done - now using a CPAP machine), Counselling (I was already in Counselling), come off my anti-depressants (doing - it's not nice at all), etc. He asked me which operation I would go for and I said Bypass and he agreed with my decision and showed me what would happen in the op. Then I asked him if this meant he was willing to give me the surgery, and he said yes. Since then, the appointments with various relating Hospital Departments keep coming and I keep going, ( I see the Surgeon again in a couple of weeks) but does all this really mean that I will be having the operation?! I know my Surgeon said yes, but does that mean anything? I only ask because a) I'm having trouble actually believing it, and b) I've not been involved at all with getting funding from the NHS. I know different Health Authorities differ in how funding for Bariatric Surgery is obtained, but I've not had to do anything. So does this mean I don't have the funding? Or have I just been extremely lucky in not having to fight for it? It's all v. complicated and this is why I'm confused! Any thoughts anyone?! Thanks for reading anyway. Alex

GlitterYes.gif

Congratulations.jpg

Hello everyone. I'm new here and very confused!! Back in December, after a year of serious thinking and research, I asked my GP if she would refer me for Bariatric Surgery to which she whole-heartedly agreed. The first appointment came through in January and this was with the senior dietician. We went through all the details of my diet, etc., and she said she was going to recommend me for surgery. The appointment with the Surgeon came through for March, we met and talked about all the pre-reqisites I'd have to fulfill - stopping smoking (done - go me!!), Sleep Disorders Investigations (done - now using a CPAP machine), Counselling (I was already in Counselling), come off my anti-depressants (doing - it's not nice at all), etc. He asked me which operation I would go for and I said Bypass and he agreed with my decision and showed me what would happen in the op. Then I asked him if this meant he was willing to give me the surgery, and he said yes. Since then, the appointments with various relating Hospital Departments keep coming and I keep going, ( I see the Surgeon again in a couple of weeks) but does all this really mean that I will be having the operation?! I know my Surgeon said yes, but does that mean anything? I only ask because a) I'm having trouble actually believing it, and b) I've not been involved at all with getting funding from the NHS. I know different Health Authorities differ in how funding for Bariatric Surgery is obtained, but I've not had to do anything. So does this mean I don't have the funding? Or have I just been extremely lucky in not having to fight for it? It's all v. complicated and this is why I'm confused! Any thoughts anyone?! Thanks for reading anyway. Alex

I think your surgeon would of told you if funding wasn't in place. Not everyone has to get involved for their funding as it isn't always a fight to get it. If you are worried ask either the hospital or your GP to check.

Good luck.

Hi,

I didn't have any active part in my funding. I had a confirmation letter from the PCT when it was granted but that doesn't happen everywhere.

It sounds really positive, but when you see the surgeon next it would be worth asking.

Thanks for that - I will ask. This may seem a very defeatist thing to say but I've packed up smoking and anti-depressants and confronted my binge eating disorder to enable me to have this op so I can then hopefully have a shot at having children, and I think I just need a bit of positivity thrown at me!!

Well I have bucketloads of positivity so consider them chucked :)

In honesty, it sounds like funding has either been arranged, or is a given judging by what the surgeon says. He wouldn't be seeing so much of you if it weren't.

Many thanks for the "chuck"!!
I wouldn't like to think the NHS would waste their time and money on me seeing all these different docs if they then weren't then going to go ahead with the op, but the NHS can be a strange thing sometimes...!

Congratulations Wibble - looks like one day sometime this year you will be on the losers bench.

I live in Staffordshire and i had no active part with my funding but reading through different posts over the last few weeks i think we are lucky in Staffordshire getting our funding - so i look forward to hearing more about you and your weight loss journey.

P.S. Still love your graphics Blue you should win a prize for them!!!! i look eagerly to your posts to see which one you have put in - just wonderful

Ok, even more confused now. Rang the PCT today to get a definitive answer on my funding, they put me through to "special considerations board", who then rang back basically saying "er, not sure you're asking in the right place, but ring PALS they might be able to help you..". They couldn't right now, bless them, but would be able to help with an appeal if my application was refused. I'm going to have to write to my GP (I don't really want to bother her, but needs must) and ask if she's heard anything. It's fraying the old nerves, is this!:cry:I feel I'm walking up those stairs that look like they're going up but aren't.

I have a question please. How do you write letters to your GP? Do you just post it with the Doctor's name and GP address? Or just go to the practice and give it to them? I need to know this Please.

Hey Wibble

Try not to stress, it's still early days. Ive been waiting 2 yrs since my initial referral and whilst I recognise there are reasons for this and it is a v long time, much more than most anyhow, it is still hard.

Like you I have had no input into the funding application. I have also had to see all the usual suspects.

I think the thing to consider is that so many more people are being put forward for this type of surgery than ever before and there are still only a handful of surgeons skilled in this field in the country, add this to all the other people you need to see prior to having the surgery and it makes sense that the waiting time gets longer.

Wishing you all the luck in the world, try not to think too much about it, it will drive you insane, trust me it won't get you to where you want to be any quicker and you don't want to be pulling all your hair out in the meantime ;)

Xx Phoebe

Hiya there Farzu

I just noticed, youv'e lost over a stone in weight already, very well done you :)

Is the reason your doc is reluctant to refer you because you weigh just over 15 stone do you think? I don't know what method you have used to lose the weight already but it seems to be working so far!

Also, if your doc is reluctant to refer you ask them their reason and also ask about other alternatives to surgery such as apetite suppresants or one of the new meds on prescription for weight loss. You never know, you may end up having success with one of those and if not then it will strengthen your request to have surgery, which is one of the reasons you were worried you didnt have any proof for the gp before, at least if you try some other methods through your gp he will have it documented.

Regarding the letter, you can either send it or hand it in, if I was you I wouldnt be making any complaints at this stage as the last thing you need is to get their backs up and alienate them, I would book another appointment, write a list of questions you want to ask ie there reasons for turning you down and do it informally that way. It may also help you with your longterm wls goal if you ask to be referred to councelling regarding this issue as it is evidentally making you very unhappy :(

Good luck and all the best hun Xx

Back