• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help I'm having booking regrets

Sarah101

Hi everyone,

I booked to have my gastric band fitted yesterday. After much deliberation I decided to go for it and find a way to stop being miserable in my own skin.

I was all excited and then I made the mistake of reading another WLS site and saw that all the post op stories were tales of slipped bands, vomit and reflux.

Does anyone have a band and not have it go disastrously wrong for them? I'm seriously wondering if I have done the right thing.....

What are your thoughts?:confused:

Hello welcome I
I haven't had any surgery yet hoping for a bypass I hope someone will help calm your nerves.

Emma

Tough one but if your wobbling put it on hold! I booked a band, wobbled, researched and then went for a sleeve. It's a massive decision, a total life changer potentially! Read up and research and go with your gut!

Thanks guys. I'm going to do it but a bit scared about all the horror stories.

Thanks Sharon. Was just reading your diary :)

I've had my band since jan 2014, & no problems at all. I'm still scared it'll go wrong but what swung it for me was at the consultations the worst stat I heard was the amount of people who fail to loose weight not the amount with complications.

Thanks Emma. That's helpful. Paying that much money I'm really determined to loose the weight. They didn't tell me about people not losing weight.

hmmm its a tough one.... but I wouldn't be without mine now....fitted feb last year so still relatively new....am still empty but have lost nicely just following the rules. No issues as yet :) its just very hard work but if your in that right mind set anything is possible...am sure if you hunt hard enough you will always find some negatives. do your research and go for it..... its normal to start those panics too.....x x x wishing you all the best either way x x x

Last edited:
hmmm its a tough one.... but I wouldn't be without mine now....fitted feb last year so still relatively new....am still empty but have lost nicely just following the rules

Well done - I'm hoping that I can stick to the rules too. So many inspiring people on here to help

Hi I had my gastric band fitted on Saturday and like you I have read some dreadful stories online. I was really tearful for the first two days and was worried I had done the wrong thing!! However, today I feel positive there are lots of success stories out there and I am going to work with the band to change my life ........ I think we all go through a self doubt stage. Please do keep talking to people about how you feel. Happy to chat on the phone if u would likely number. Stay positive Yvonne xx

Im a bypasser so I know its not the same but the life after WLS is we all dream of been heathy fitter, slimmer but the nearer the date gets it , meaning the life you dream of is to become real and thats scary or at least I guess that is what people fear, losing the fat suit and swapping it for a smaller fit!
Having a wobble is fine maybe even normal but only you can decide can I overcome this or should I hold off for a little longer, after all ive waited this long a few days/weeks longer will make no difference
also bear in mine many many people have this type of surgery to great success but you dont always see them, there are many succeful "banders" on here cystal rainbow just 1 of them(x) take care and I wish you all the best

Thank you so much for this lovely lost Los in it x

I had a band and later converted to a bypass. I wish I'd had a bypass to start with as it would have saved me a lot of money and a health crisis. Do your research on the long term effects of the band before committing. Be aware of the complication rate and the long term issues.

It's worth noting that increasing numbers of bariatric surgeons are refusing to do bands now preferring the RNY, MGB and sleeve. While these procedures are more scary when you look at them they are more effective in the long term (although the RNY bypass and MGB also has long term issues with malabsorption).

I'm aware of a current study that is studying why some people are more prone to problems with the band. It seems that people who have stretchy skin (those who can pull the skin on the back of their hands and from an extended elbow) or are hypermobile (double jointed - can bend their little finger backwards at least 90 degrees) are the highest risk should this study come to its expected conclusion. Notably those diagnosed with Fibromyalgia/CFS, EDS (and type) or benign joint hypermobility syndrome (HMS). Be aware this is still a theory and not medically proven at this stage but it's something to be aware of. I'm aware of this as I was one of the case studies.

Had my band for 10 months. Yes lost weight with it. But I'm so glad it's gone.

When you spoke with your surgeon they should have made you fully aware of the things than can (but not will) go wrong.

One thing is for sure you will get scarring on your stomach from having a band which may cause you no issues to you change to the surgery that would have been permanent and a better choice to start with in my opinion as a sleeve or RNY.

Hi
I was due to have the band but after more research, two weeks before my surgery I changed my my and opted for the Sleeve, I'm only three weeks post-op but have absolutely no regrets xx

There is a lot of band bashing on this forum. I got to a local support group and many of the girls have had long term success with their bands an no problems

I think research into how the band should be treated has improved results as the advice is now very different for post op than before. No more fills in quick succession no more really tight bands. These both caused long term problems. Good luck x

The development of modern bands also helps x

There is a lot of band bashing on this forum. I got to a local support group and many of the girls have had long term success with their bands an no problems I think research into how the band should be treated has improved results as the advice is now very different for post op than before. No more fills in quick succession no more really tight bands. These both caused long term problems. Good luck x The development of modern bands also helps x

I didn't want to get dragged into one of these conversations but.....I agree with Kirsty here although I'm only a year post op I have no regrets with the band.

ANY WLS carries a risk and its up to the individual to make an informed decision. I would not disregard any option without checking the actual facts first!

I have friends on here and in life in general who have had different surgeries and each has been there decision and I would not force my opinion on any of them or anyone here!

I sympathise to the people who have had the band and something's went wrong through bad luck or otherwise but it can happen with each of the surgeries and reading through the various posts on this forum can show this.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!! :)

Thanks guys

Back