• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help please

ktstar

Hello just wondering if anyone could give me some extra advice, I'm constantly cold and feel physically drained of all energy and strength, this morning was a real challenge to get dressed and brush my teeth. I've been monitoring my calories which seem to be between 1100-1300. I'm not really feeling hungry I'm eating 3 meals and sometimes 1 healthy snack. My weight loss seems to have stopped, I'm generally just feeling very down right now and would really appreciate some extra advice. I'm nearly 5 weeks post band.

Your vitamin b12 levels could be low or vitamin d3 or iron. I think your best bet would be to visit your GP for some blood tests :)

Where are you in relation to your fills? Are you due to have one? It could be that you're still taking on too many calories (a lot of providers aim to be around 1000 cals) - what exercise are you doing? As this is also key to the weight loss.

What sort of things do you eat? You could eat 1100-1300 cals of things which aren't kickstarting the loss - try increasing your protein intake (min 70g day) and decreasing carb intake (max 70g a day) as protein really should be a focus of your diet in terms of metabolism, it leaving you fuller for longer. You may find that shaking things up a bit will help kick start the loss.

Also, one of the signs of being ready for a fill is the weight starting to plateau - with reduced calories you do tend to feel the cold more - since I had my band I'm usually cold most of the time, and you've had quite major surgery so in the early days it is also common to not have a great deal of energy.

Speak to your provider for advice, they really are your first port of call . . .look at where you are with fills, but look at changing the food you eat, the amounts you eat and the levels of exercise that you're doing. Sometimes we just have to shake it up :)

Also, don't forget, average loss is 1-2lb with a band per week so even if you're losing small amounts like this, you're still on track :)

I have emailed the dietician. I'm due to have a band fill 23rd march they wanted to do it sooner but I have an exam. I'm keeping a diary on my fitness pal, I am struggling with getting high protein levels, as my provided says only have minced meat for the first 3 months, the dietician said avoid cheeses as they are high in fat.
I'm going spin class on Saturday morning, and trying to get to the gym twice a week. This week I have really stepped up my exercise as I put on 1lb last week, I've been going for a walk at lunchtime, I have done an exercise DVD at home and been for a swim.
If we are eating so few calories wouldn't our bodies go into starvation mode?

Starvation mode would be at around 6-800 cals not the 1000-1300 that you said that you're taking on board. And if its a healthy balanced diet at around that mark then you should be losing if you're exercising too.

My provider said to me I should be on 1000 cals a day, but I get optimum weight loss at 1100 cals, but that is also based on an absolute minimum of 70g protein (its normally 80-120g a day) and max carbs 70g.

Strange that you can only have minced meat - but try minced turkey - good for use to make dinners such as cottage pie (top with swede and mashed carrot if you're limiting carbs) but turkey is a low fat but good source of protein.

Do you eat eggs? Another good source of protein. My provider advises max 4 a week, I usually have 2 as an omelette on weekends :)

In all honesty, if you chew meat really really well, its all minced anyway by the time it goes down although you may find some easier to eat than others. Chicken especially good.

Do you eat fish? flaked white fish contains quite a lot of protein and is a good low fat source of it too. The John West Tuna light lunches are quite good for a good protein dose as lunch and are under 250 cals, or simply a tin of tuna flakes with a bit of sauce (I have mine with sweet chilli)

I eat reduced fat cheese on occasions, I no longer have full fat cheese for the fat reasons, but it is good for protein.

It's a shame that you can't get in sooner, because that would help in terms of maybe getting a little help from your band, but try not to lose heart.

I will try to add you over on MFP and if you want anyone to chat or vent to, always feel free to shout :)

Yeah I have been eating eggs boiled and in a 2 egg omelette I don't eat many per week but don't think I was given a limit.
I have had small chunks of meat in a stew, I know that it's well cooked and I chew it loads.
I could try eating more fish, not keen on tuna but I do love salmon and mackerel but they are oily fish so higher in calories and fat.
Even the healthy foods I like are the naughtier ones lol
Meats, bread and rice are all restricted for the first 3 months with my provider :0(

Back