• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help revision surgery advice

Caroline jess

Hello

I had gastric band 7 years ago, lost 8 stone. After 3 years I started to suffer with extreme acid reflux and fell pregnant at the same time. I regained around four stone from two babies in quick succession and an empty band. I have since flowed all the advice of rested bands, slippage diets etc but still have terrible acid problems if I try and use it again. I am considering revision to sleeve or plication. My Bmi is about 35. Which do you think would be best ?

Many thanks for your help.

Hello I had gastric band 7 years ago, lost 8 stone. After 3 years I started to suffer with extreme acid reflux and fell pregnant at the same time. I regained around four stone from two babies in quick succession and an empty band. I have since flowed all the advice of rested bands, slippage diets etc but still have terrible acid problems if I try and use it again. I am considering revision to sleeve or plication. My Bmi is about 35. Which do you think would be best ? Many thanks for your help.

I'm a revised bander ..

I had a band for ten years and lost 9 ish stones ..

After year seven I had major problems with acid reflux . Had my band emptied 3 years ago but still had bad reflux everyday

Finally met a brill surgeon who investigated my band properly and found it had kinked and slipped slightly..

I had regained most of my loss whilst the band was empty ..

Most banders are not suitable for revision to a sleeve because of the reflux can become even worse...

I had my band removed in May and was bypassed at the end of July and so far I've lost 3st and I no longer have any acid problems..

Plication is not something my surgeons offer on the NHS and to be fair as there are no long term studies on it's success I would not have contemplated it ...

The bypass seems a big WLS but it is very similar to the sleeve ..

Good luck

Thanks. Just realised my Bmi is 31 so I'm not sure if I would be allowed bypass! Thanks for your reply x

I went straight for a sleeve, however I have never suffered from acid reflux or anything like that. I was told if I did then go for a bypass.

Speak to a surgeon. But I agree with Valentine. Bypass may be better for an ex banded due to the acid reflux.

I believe any wls is doable on bmis over 30 - speak to a surgeon/provider xx

Good luck xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I think it would be best to get some expert medical advice Caroline as none of us qualified to advise other than what we have had/works for us.

See if your GP will refer you to your nearest hospital with a bariatric unit, they may be willing to offer you some form of revisional surgery.

All the best, I hope you get it sorted xx

Back