• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help! Decision betwen bypass or sleeve?

Kennedy12345

Hi,

I'm hoping some of you could help me with my dilemma between sleeve or bypass.

I currently have a gastric band which has been unsuccessful. The port has also flipped so it was drained and I have been left for two years with an empty band.

I decided to go down the Nhs route and my surgery is booked in for 29th feb.

I just need some advice on which procedure to have. I've done lots of research about both and I'm really torn. I have a few questions that I think only experienced bypassed ta or sleeves could answer. Any help would be much appreciated.

- my down fall is defiantly the sweet things. Will a bypass be more suited due to dumping?
- what types of God can you eat/ not eat with both procedures? One thing that I really hated about the band was that it restricted healthy food such as meat salad abs vegetables but allowed rubbish to go through quite easily.
- I have heard a couple of horror stories from a colleague who has the bypass about getting dioereah very quickly and actually pooing them selves!! Is this common ? Has this ever happened to any one with either procedure?
- Are the weight losses better and more sustainable in the long run with bypasses? I have noticed a few people having revision from sleeve to bypass. I don't want to be in the situation in s couple of years of regretting a procedure and considering another revision.
- any revision's from band have any advice?
- any only have any general advice pros and cons for each.

Sorry for the long post I just want to get this right. I originally discussed with my surgeon the sleeve but u have been having second thoughts. He did not really advise either way so I'm a little stuck.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply X

Monalisa

Hi and welcome I am currently awaiting a band revision have opted for sleeve although my NHS team wouldn't fund due to my bmi now being under 40 I too have struggled with the decision my private surgeon didn't feel I had enough weight to loose for the bypass although my NHS surgeon would have chosen that for me very confusing and like you I, frightened of needing another revision down the line so I shall watch this thread. Have you a lot of weight stil to loose? Xx

_Victoria_

Im hoping to have the bypass because of the first point you made.. sweets!! I like the idea of HAVING to eat healthy and dumping would be a great way to stop you eating anything too fatty or sweet. At least i hope anyway. I also read somewhere (i dont know if its true or not) that the bypass helps you lose weight quicker and to keep it off long term. which also makes it seem like a good option for me. Im 30 right now and kinda want the rest of my life to start as soon as possible :)

beepbeepcat

Hiya and welcome, I can only speak for myself and my experiance. I have had a Bypass 8 weeks ago and I must say its a tough 6 weeks due to the very strict food regime but now I'm doing fine. I have no hunger at all the hardest thing is getting used to food again but baby portions. I have had one episode which could have been a dumping session when I made salmon pate with low fat cheese spread, I went very clammy, sweating, terrible tummy pain and felt like I was going to poop myself however yes I did need to loo but not horrific. All I would say on that point is to try new foods when your at hone all day so it puts your mind at rest. I could go through a list of foods which I eat but it's probably easier to say ones that I haven't tried yet, crisps, chocolate, ice cream, cake, burgers beef or chicken, pizza, wraps. I have steared clear as these were binges before and I don't honk these would be tolerated to easy?! I have had a pain where I ate dry cold chicken yesterday and it got stuck as I ate to quickly and didn't chew properly, won't do it again. There are lots of diaries in here I would suggest reading some and then speaking to your medical team as they will help with a good procedure for you. All the best and have a look at my ramblings on here.....X

Kennedy12345

Thanks for replies! Yes I have a lot of weight to loose. I've put on all the weight following the total band defill :(. I've lost about 3 stone since start of tier three but put some back on over Xmas. I think I chose sleeve before Christmas and I was eating very healthily and losing weight on my own but following a couple of months slipping back to my old habits I have been considering the bypass as I'm worried about having the sleeve but over eating in a few years time.

Can you eat salad veg and meat with bypass? Obviously smaller portions.

Are there people out there with sleeve who have been disappointed with their losses and wished they had opted for bypass?

I'm just so confused. I want to do the right thing though.

Hi - I had a sleeve 11 weeks ago and I'm finding life brilliant! I can eat anything I want but just in very small amounts. I have lost nearly 5 stone and feel like a new woman.

The only time I experience any discomfort is if I eat too fast, or I don't chew enough before I swallow. It feels a bit like a short-lived indigestion. I've discovered beef doesn't agree with me, and if I drink too fast I get painful hiccups.

In regards to the revision surgeries - sleeve to bypass - I couldn't comment. I'm sticking to a healthy diet with a few sweet treats now and then, so I am confident that I will be a target and be able to stick to it.

One thing I find amazing now is that I'm not obsessed with food anymore. My thought isn't "what am I going to have for lunch/tea/dinner/snack" all the time. As a sleeve takes away the part of your stomach that is responsible for appetite, I don't ever feel hungry. I eat when I need to eat: breakfast, lunch, tea. I am not that bothered about food now. I will have a chocolate if I fancy it - but it will be just one, or a square, not a whole family size bar as it once was!

At the end of the day it's your choice. Make sure you do your research and you speak to a consultant about your situation. They should be able to advise you which is best for you based on co-morbidities, age, and your problems that have got you to this stage.

Best of luck and if you have any questions just shout! :) x

niccie

I'm sleeved and love it but my problems were really eating too much, it won't stop you eating the wrong things just large volumes. I can eat anything at all so I have to be very careful what I eat. Good luck

Monalisa

Hope my sleeve works just like yours slinky sounds perfect same surgeons I fingers crossed one week to go good luck Kennedy with whatever you choose x

los in it

I went for the bypass as I just ate too much and wanted to have an wls that would meant I couldn't eat some things if I had gone for the sleeve it sounded like I could eat the same as before just a little less and I wanted none of that ! so the bypass was the only way for me and I don't regret it at all best decision I /surgeon made for me