• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Old band new here

Bluedawny

Hello everyone

I'm new to this site and been reading with interest.

I had a band about 6 years ago and have loved it - lost 12 stone -

I went to see my surgeon last Thursday and got a telling off!! Have the band tooooo tight so he took out a whole mil (only have a small capacity band so that is huge) I have acid reflux and a cough and not sticking to any of the rules - including not drinking fizzy drinks!

My surgeon has said to come back this Thursday to discuss the options but said before I look at revision to look at some forums - he may put my 1 mil back in if I plead!!!;)

I think that I would like revision as I think my banding days are coming to an end - the problem is what to choose as the better option????

Sleeve with a fobi ring sounds perfect except that I have acid reflux and know this can make it worse!! I like he thought of not feeling hungry!! I am around 12 stone large frame and am 5ft 7 so don't want to loose stones and stones. But am scared stiff of getting fat again.

RNY with a fobi ring is the other option (both the same price) this sounds good but I wish this would also get rid of my hunger pangs!! I do suffer from head hunger too!!

So if anyone can give me any advice I would be so grateful! The last option is to go back to the basics with my band as it has been a friend to me!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated x

Thanks
Sue

Banderbird

Hello! You'll find loads of support and advice here.

Out of interest, why do you think your bander days are coming to the end? It seems to have worked very well for you. Maybe you just need a rethink on your diet.

top_kat

welcome!

why are the band days coming to an end when it is a method of Wls that is in place for life but managed through the fills etc?

There are members here who have reached their targets with the bands and then use them to maintain their weight - why are you not intending to use the band moving forward?

If you're not sticking to the rules with the band, there lies the problem, and something that could be changed to get the results that you want, especially if the fills were managed with small fills?

the band does need us to follow rules and guideline and doing so it works - it would suggest that it's not the band that's coming to the end but that it needs you to go back to basics and start over with those basics and the choices you make and to work with the tool that you have? You need to make choices with other methods too so why would you not focus on the band and making the right choices, especially if it meant no further intervention?

if things you eat or drink are causing issues why would you not make those changes to make positive use of the band and the tool that it is instead of thinking that you need a different method of surgery and putting yourself through it when you could ultimately be successful with the band you have.

sarahrob

Hello Sue and welcome!
12 stone loss is amazing - well done. I'm always thrilled to see that someone has achieved long term results with a band, it makes me hopeful that I can do so too:)

Bluedawny

Thanks for your replies x

I do love my band and know that it is too easy to go for another option!!

Think that's why my surgeon has told me to go away and read!!! ::rolleyes:

I have my band really tight as with any less restriction will overeat - my friends who have never had weight problems just say to me "well don't" but unfortunately I will!! I would love to say that I'm a different person from the one at the beginning of my journey but I'm not - I am just a thinner over eater!! And my band is my safety net that stops me (every day) from going back to where I was!!

It's not been a walk in the park with so many food I'm unable to eat - but I would do it again in a heart beat!!

I'm going back on Thursday to get a fill -my comfort blanket back (tight band) and maybe have an X-ray to ensure all is well.

I just want to ensure that there is other options as the cough can be a sign of erosion, also acid reflux is the pits!!!!

Thanks again everyone xx

dottydalmation

Hi, I know exactly what you are going through. My band was in got 12 years and at around 10 year mark after 2 children it's too tight and I suffered from extreme reflux. At points I only though about food and it started, it had nothing to do with what I ate . I too had it emptied and slowly refilled but to no avail. Lady year I had revisional surgery and on the day a huge hernia removed. Best move I ever made, lost 8 stone and not one bit of reflux. Good luck if I can offer smh help PM me.

top_kat

i relate a lot because even at 13 months out because I still do not have restriction with my band and going away on holiday in August was a real reminder to me that I can still eat just as I did before if i Allow myself to.

its a journey and it isn't always easy, i wish just once that id feel some restriction with my band....And I've never had a situation with my band being too tight although a couple of instances with struggles with certain foods early on but haven't wanted to rush my fills and was happy as i was losing stones without any restriction or help, but now i need that help we still cant get restriction lol

p i know there is a member here who posts who does have a very tight band and preferred It that way

I think it's a good idea to check all is well, and maybe could you have a slightly smaller fill? Also not sure i you've had any but have you thought about checking out some therapy or something like CBT to help deal with the feelings and struggles you have with eating?

People who don't understand will always think its as easy as saying "don't" we know it's not the case!

Bluedawny

Thank you dotty Dalmatian (and everyone else) for your replies.

I do feel that I'm being a drama queen and sometimes of the opinion "if it ain't broke - don't mend it" but quality of my days are going down hill with constant pain - which I can live with rather than have a huge gain - and reflux every day - the cough not only drives me mad but everyone I come into contact with - "you are ALWAYS coughing"

moomoo1

I too liked my band very very tight it has pros and cons tho althought u cant eat a lot the foods u can eat are a lot more limited,i then got bad reflux had defills refills etc and its been decided my band has slipped since its been emptied(only way to stop reflux) I gained 6 of the stone I lost then due to meds im on I gained another 5 stone very rapidly so im going to be reverting to bypass soon because I need to shift weight a bit faster and more of it thatn I did with band. if you can get your head around your eating habbits id say get your band revised as its worked so well for you and you don't need massive weight loss

Bluedawny

CBT

This forum is going to be brilliant for me!!

I can tell you guys the truth!!!

I went for counselling and was told that I had many issue with childhood abuse etc that I've not told anyone about - my counsellor said that as I have also issues with relationships - the only way I have control is with my band and want total control over it! Hence me overheating in the first place - my relationship with food is very deep seated and even 30 sessions didn't get to the bottom of it!!

The bottom line is I really don't want to go back to being morbidly obese - and feel out of control at the moment as ...... My mum is gravely ill in hospital with cancer, I have just (Friday) had a biopsy done after a mammogram showed a lump, my ceiling has fallen through due to a water leak and a few other minor problems!!

I turn straight to food and feel out of control! I'm the strong one of the family and left to deal with everything .......but I've just exhaled with relief putting it down in text!'

flutterby1966

Hi and welcome. Congratulations on your weight loss. I do feel for you, but I also think looking at your eating habits is really important going forwards to avoid ongoing medical/weight issues as I am sure that any of the weight loss surgery options can be cheated/abused if the underlying behaviours are not changed. Pleased your surgeon didn't rush straight into recommending/agreeing alternative surgery .... Do lots of reading/ask lots of questions/understand what makes you choose to do what you do and what will make the difference to you succeeding going forwards.

Good luck :)

top_kat

This forum is going to be brilliant for me!!

I can tell you guys the truth!!!

I went for counselling and was told that I had many issue with childhood abuse etc that I've not told anyone about - my counsellor said that as I have also issues with relationships - the only way I have control is with my band and want total control over it! Hence me overheating in the first place - my relationship with food is very deep seated and even 30 sessions didn't get to the bottom of it!!

The bottom line is I really don't want to go back to being morbidly obese - and feel out of control at the moment as ...... My mum is gravely ill in hospital with cancer, I have just (Friday) had a biopsy done after a mammogram showed a lump, my ceiling has fallen through due to a water leak and a few other minor problems!!

I turn straight to food and feel out of control! I'm the strong one of the family and left to deal with everything .......but I've just exhaled with relief putting it down in text!'

Bluedawny - you can always be open, you may get answers that you don't want to hear, but the majority of people here will speak as they find, and sometimes that little bit of "tough love" is what we need in terms of helping us get back on track.

I don't mean to pry, but with the counselling, did you try CBT itself? The reason I ask is that I know several people who had similar problems, went through similar things in childhood and then experienced eating problems and issues as a result of having control. One of those went on to become anorexic because she had control of what went into her body, but the 2 others, went to eating and then put on huge amounts of weight. As such, it has been specific CBT that has helped them, not only with dealing and working through the issues of abuse, but also getting control back within their lives and also in turn with their eating. They found that it helped in ways that "normal" counselling hadn't - definitely worth approaching your GP for as it is available on the NHS.

You have a LOT going on right now. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. Having lost my own to Cancer and being with her and that "strong" one in the family, I so relate and food was always my comfort. The band however, doesn't stop or take away those moments when we turn to food for comfort, and we can lose that control we have because if we do not have restriction then that food goes down too easily.

I am going through this struggle right now with my band, and I am going up and down through the same 8lb because I have no restriction, I've never had that feeling of feeling full, and 13 months on, some of the motivation seems to have wilted. But its been a real reminder of just what I need to do, to get back in control of those eating habits.

Are you able to approach your provider with regards to seeing a dietician too -or a bariatric nurse who can help you get back on track with the eating? We know what we need to do, what we need to be eating, but sometimes we just need that support to help us do it?

I would get in touch with as many resources and help as you can, because if you can get the help, support and someone being there for YOU while you're going through all that you are, then it may help you to get back on track, back in that control with your band, rather than taking a drastic step of a different method when there's an option of getting something to work?

:)

I just want to say, if you want someone to talk to, someone to vent to, I am always around and more than willing to be an ear, a shoulder and I know how hard it is to focus on ourselves, when so many things around us are going wrong and people we love and care for are suffering too.

*hugs* your way!

Banderbird

^ lovely post from TK.

You will find all the support you need here. I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, and I hope your own lump proves to be benign - or 100% treatable if not.

Stay strong x

Bluedawny

Thanks

Thank you everyone xxx

TK thank you for such a lovely reply xx wanted to send you a personal reply but don't think I'm allowed yet as a newbie

Sorry haven't been able to reply - have been to the hospital every night to see mum. Again thank you for your kind thoughts mum went down hill really quickly her doctor told me that without treatment she only had weeks to live - I said please start treatment but unfortunately they didn't have bed space in the oncology ward - I was brought up that "a squeaky gate gets oiled first" so I squeaked and squeaked, after a few few phone calls to PALS and ward managers quoting "duty of care" MP's and the press - they found mum a bed and started chemo the next day! hopefully it was a coincidence as I do have faith in the NHS but didn't want to take any chances!
The difference in one treatment is amazing and even though this is the first hurdle and there is a long way to go we can see the light at the end of the tunnel- mums sense of humour hasn't left her and she also said she can see the light but she is NOT going to it!!!!!:p

My lump was benign so thank goodness that is one less thing to worry about ;)

I went back to basics with my band but the acid reflux still causes me to cough morning, noon and night and is driving everyone loopy!!!!!

My counselling was just the usual counselling and not CBT which would be much better for my eating disorder. I wish that I could commit to the money and time but know that I probably wouldn't stick to it.

I've been back to see my surgeon and he does feel my band may have eroded slightly and that it was due to me having it too tight for too long!

I have asked if he will do a revision from band to either a sleeve or bypass and he said that he will do either once I have fully decided which I really want. He said that there is no hurry at the moment and wants me to do my research!

I've read so many posts and opinions which all are truly amazing - thank you all for being so honest!!!

Here are my questions that keep going around my head!!

I really only need to lose about 2 stone but don't want to get bigger which I know I will do without my band

A sleeve would stop my appetite - I like big portions - the sleeve would stop this (with a fobi ring) to stop long term stretching.

I have acid - the bypass (with a fobi ring) would stop this! But I don't know if I would keep on losing when I hit my target weight?? Or can you just maintain?

I have a very sweet tooth - a bypass would scare me into not eating sugars!!!

I have another meeting with my surgeon next week so please what questions should I ask him??
Any replies would be greatly appreciated
Thanks everyone xx

WeightlossDreamer

Good luck with whatever you decide hun! It's good to see that people do have their bands long term as thats one thing that panics me about my surgery x