• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELP where am i going wrong advice needed pls !!

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all i was just wondering when u started to feel even a little hunger post Bypass. Some time ago i thought i was hungry but realised it was thirst but the past 2 days i think i have been hungry not massively hungry but def wanted to eat a little something 5/6 hrs after my protein shake this morning, i am 8 weeks post op, the last 2 days have not been thirst related and when i ate the little mini packs of philly and bread sticks the hunger def went. At the mo my protein levels are quite good having bout 55/60 grms protein per day and 6/700 cals and 1.5/2 lts of nas flavoured water. Am i doing something wrong to feel a little hunger, its worrying me big time.
Is this normal at this stage, it is so weird as just 10 days ago i was forcing myself to eat.

Thanks and take care luv Roch xxx

Last edited:
Roch if you are going 6 hours between meals or snacks then you will feel hunger. Our tiny tums hold such a small amount it cant possibly sustain you for 6 hours. Especially if your first meal is a protein shake as this will empty out of the pouch immediately.

I still now have 3 meals and usually 2 snacks a day.

I think you need to aim to eat something every 3 hours hun then you won't feel hungry. How about following an eating plan if it makes it easier for you?

This is just an example but is probably the sort of plan I would follow:

Breakfast: 7am - protein shake
Snack: 10am - piece fruit
Lunch: 1pm - protein & veg/salad
Snack: 4pm - yoghurt
Dinner: 7pm - protein + carb (cheese & toast, spag bol, meat & potato etc)
Supper: 10pm - hot milky drink

You shouldn't have chance to get hungry with something like this, especially if you're drinking NAS squash in between.

Your post has taught me a bit of a lesson Roch. This by pass life can get a bit comlicated can't it. I too am feeling hunger and am only 2 weeks post op. Perhaps I am thirsty rather than hungry as I know I am way down on my fluids and the weight loss isn't as good as I had hoped. You should be proud of your weight loss Roch 90lbs is fantastic.

I am only eating 3 or 4 times a day as I am trying to keep the calories down, but I think I eat more than I should each time. Guess I need to take my self in hand and sort it out!

Let me know how you get on.

It is no wonder you feel hunger hun you should be trying to have little and often. I have 3 meals a day and a couple of snacks in between the only downfall for me is getting all my fluids in. I struggle with that big time. Well done on your loss so far though hun you have done amazingly well xxx

Roche i have no idea, but as i said to you on Saturday night, i can see a difference in your face from the pics you took only a few weeks ago. You are looking stunning and are doing brill, you are going to be one of my role models x

I'm the same as the other post oppers - 3 meals and 2 snacks, if I go longer than 3-4hrs between meals I do get hungry and risk heading for the biscuits! :rolleyes: Sam's right the protein shake won't fill you up it will just go straight through xx

Hi Roch. It says in the Whit's booklet thing (I'm sure you've got one) that we should eat meals no less than 3 hours apart but no more than 5. Maybe you need to make sure you're eating 3/4 hourly. I've really been trying to set regular meal times. Whilst I've been off work it's been more difficult and depended on what time I got up but I'm hoping that being back to work tomorrow will help with the routine. Have you got set meal times sweetie?

Thanks guys for ur posts and advice. I am really not in a good place at the mo as i feel like a failure big time as i know i am not making the most out of my bypass, tbh at the mo i am not liking my bypass but dont regret it for a min.
I am so worried as am not loosing any more weight keep on stalling and scared to even get on the scales, and the reason why is that i cant get my food choices right.
For 3 years up to my bypass i lived off toast, sandwiches and cereal and yoghurt and of course b4 my referral all the junk carb laden foods.
I know i am not eating properly and this worries and scares me big time, i cant go anywhere near any meat or fish as it makes me gag so i end up with carbs but as i am getting so anal about calories,fat,sugar and protein and try to get 50/60 grms protein but if i have a bad day and eat over 700 cals i get angry with myself.
Tbh i am such a state over my food and feel like i have wasted a fab gift of my surgery and that is just adding to my depression at the mo.

Sorry for moaning and going on i really do appreciate all ur advice i just dont know which way to turn at the mo to try and improve my bad eating habits and food choices x

Hi Roch, you have done so well, a massive loss already, once your body adjusts you will start to lose again, remember it's in shock, same as any VLC diet.
Please don't beat yourself up hun, all your friends are rooting for you and only want you to be happy and healthy..hugs Jan x

Hi roch, Please keep moaning, if you cant come on here and moan, well I just dont know. We are all here to help you and share your troubles so dont apologise for having some.

We are all very different and you probably read how some are doing so well, and you are not following suit. They may not of had the trauma you had in you life so you cant compare.

Why dont you do what the other peeps say about regular meals, give it a try, write a diary. Just pretend you are at work and that is your job. If your manager told you to write a diary you would do it, so you have to be your own manager and listen to the good advice from yourself.

Chin up and I want you to repeat to yourself lots of times throughout the day.

I CAN DO THIS

REMEMBER

I CAN DO THIS

Roch as you know I had a very hard time after my surgery so I can understand some of what you're feeling. As others have said you really do need to eat more regularly and not with such long periods in between. It's no wonder you're feeling hungry.

I'm going to say something here which I know you won't want to do but you must! GO EASY ON YOURSELF! lol hun if you have more than 700 calories a day so what? It's a darn sight less than what you would have had pre surgery and your body is taking time to get used to the lower calorie intake which will make the weight lost start and stall. I've just come off a month long stall so I know how disheartening it is but you will lose the weight in the end.

Have you tried textured vegetable protein instead of meat? You can make spag bol or add it to yoghurt or make just about anything with it. That way you'll be getting your protein but without (hopefully) getting that gagging feeling. You can get it from Holland and Barrett. Or try adding a handful of nuts to your diet for protein.

Hun I really mean it when I say go easy on yourself. It's only now that I am actually eating a proper healthy balanced diet. Whilst I was struggling I just ate what I felt like because I was of the opinion it was better than nothing. When you're in a better head space you'll be able to get back to eating the right things but in the end, you're not going to die if you eat too many carbs for a while.

Be nice to yourself, you deserve it. xx

Hi Roch hun, I know I've said this before but I think the stalls are possibly due to not eating enough. Obviously as a pre-opper it's much easier for me to say as I don't know what you're going through or how hard it is to get food down.

I'm just thinking that on the pre-op diet we are having 800-1000 calories a day and that's considered very low and is why our bodies go into starvation mode. The logic of it tells me that 700kcals is therefore too low to lose weight and might explain the stalls.

What do other people think and what have they been advised by their team?

And please Roch, don't feel bad or guilty about off-loading on here, if you can't talk to us about it all who can you talk to. Take care hun, you're doing so well you know :hug99: xxx

Back