• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice on carbs needed pls

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all well some of u might know i am in the middle of a mega stall and this started at day 6 and now am day 19.
Was just wondering if u could give me some advice on carbs with my meal.
Do u think maybe i should try and cut out carbs with one for 2 meals and see if that will get me out of my stall.
Here is a rough idea of what i am eating, well yesterdays menu.
Any advice or tips would be truly appreciated, thanks

Breaky: 2tbs cereal with 3/4 fuller yoghurt or a protein shake
Lunch: which ever breaky i dont have i then have for my lunch
Dinner: 2/3 tbs of chicken,carrots and peas with 1.5 tbs of mash
Snack : 1 banana
Fluids: 1.5/2 ltrs of nas

1.Is my diet ok or do i need to change it at this stage
2: Am i eating 2 much !!
3: What foods are low calorie and high i protein i could try
4: Which meats and fish are highest in protein that i could have in the sloppy stage
5: Is it normal to have head hunger so early as i am having it from last week, not for cra*py foods but for something to crunch on, how did u deal with it.

I am on the sloppy stage and have 9 days left till i can start re introducing normal more textured foods into my diet and cant wait :D:D:D:D:D:D
The sloppy stage is very hard for me as cant really abide the texture of sloppy food and am not struggling with the chicken as i chew it about 20 times b4 swallowing and only eat with a teaspoon.
I dont eat soup or eggs and cant abide any of the shop bought shepherd`s pies.
Yes i know i am a right fussy cow, am having about 45 grms of protein a day as my shake has 35 grms and is a gods send and really makes me feel more energetic since taking it, have only had it for 3 days now but enjoy it.
I want to up my protein but as hoping this might help my stall but have no idea where to start, for fear of eating 2 many cals. I am not eating to restriction but def feel am having enough. I am never hungry but head hunger is troubling me big time at the mo but not for rubbish foods but just to crunch on something so roll on week :)::):)

Sorry for all the questions but this stall has got me so upset and yes i now realise after all ur support that its beyond my control but i want to try and help myself get out of this stall.

Thanks and take care luv Roch xxx

Last edited:
I cannot believe that you are eating solids 3 weeks after the op unless ime reading wrong, i was told and did 3 weeks liquid, 3 weeks sloppy then onto mashed / solid foods surely you are not eating chicken 3 weeks after op Roch

Hi IRJ i am not on solids but sloppys, we are told liquids for 2 weeks, then sloppys for 2 weeks, then weeks 4/6 start introducing more solid textured foods into our diet.
Yes i am eating chicken, was told to eat meat and fish but mashed up and chewed really well, which i am doing and not having any probs at all.
Each hospital have diff guidelines like Chichester give them sloppys from day 1 which i could not imagined doing at all.

Last edited:
Hi Roche
I wish I could say something to stop you worrying. You are doing well in my opinion, after my bypass I started losing weight properly from about week 3. Remember you have a lot of swelling inside you, and your body is recovering from a major trauma, and it goes into a bit of shock and tries to hold onto fat to conserve it in case it happens again!

But don't worry, it can't last long. And you really shouldn't worry too much about it, just concentrate on rest and recovery.

Drink lots of water. Eat the proteins first. And stop worrying.

Rxx

i wish i could stop you worrying too ..you have been through a lot you will lose weight roch ..i really really think you should just weigh once a month ...take care roch and try to put your head at rest ...xx

For the sloppy/mash stage meals will be carb based as the new pouch can handle these ok. When you are eating solid food then you can look at the protein to carbs ratio.

The sloppy stage I found I could eat what I thought was a lot, the same with the mashed. It wasn't until I was on solid food that I realised just how little I could eat so try and relax and not worry. If you listen to your body you will now your limmits and let it be your guide, it will tell you if you are eating something it doesn't like. x x

Thanks Teri did not do the puree stage as we dont do that at out hospital but have decided to cut out the cereal for lunch and replace it with cottage cheese as 1/4 pot is 6 grms of protein, i am addicted to carbs so am trying to replace as much as poss x

i wish i could stop you worrying too ..you have been through a lot you will lose weight roch ..i really really think you should just weigh once a month ...take care roch and try to put your head at rest ...xx

Easier said than done lol, hows u hun xx

Hi Roche
I wish I could say something to stop you worrying. You are doing well in my opinion, after my bypass I started losing weight properly from about week 3. Remember you have a lot of swelling inside you, and your body is recovering from a major trauma, and it goes into a bit of shock and tries to hold onto fat to conserve it in case it happens again!

But don't worry, it can't last long. And you really shouldn't worry too much about it, just concentrate on rest and recovery.

Drink lots of water. Eat the proteins first. And stop worrying.

Rxx

Hi Rose thanks hun, i feel internally am doing a lot better than i thought i would and my tolerance to foods is good as well, just need to get through this sloppy stage and start introducing more solid foods at week 4 so just nine more days :) cant wait to crunch lol.
Hope ur good ty for ur post xx

How about making a lovely fish pie.

Buy some cod and or smoked haddock. Poach in some milk until cooked, meanwhile boil some potatoes. When the fish is cooked take out of the milk and add some cornflour to thicken the sauce. Place in a dish with the fish you could add some peas to the fish as it is cooking. Drain and mash the potato with some semi skimmed milk and place on top of the fish, sprinkle over some grated cheese. There should be lots of protein there and if you make a good size one you can freeze some for another day.

I would not say that this is a stall. It seems common for people to not loose in the first two weeks post op. This can be due to the stress of the op, swelling and/or fluids given by the drip. Try not to get weighed until you are 3 weeks post op and I am sure you will smile.
xxx

Hi Roch.I mix strawberry protein powder with natural yogurt, it makes 22g of protein, and tastes like normal strawberry yogurts:D:D

I would not say that this is a stall. It seems common for people to not loose in the first two weeks post op. This can be due to the stress of the op, swelling and/or fluids given by the drip. Try not to get weighed until you are 3 weeks post op and I am sure you will smile.
xxx

I agree with Samsmum here hun. Your body is still in recovery and has also been through the trauma of the pre-op diet, which is more or less a starvation diet (and don't forget we have to do it for 4 weeks!!) so it's now entered famine mode and is holding onto all the resources it can, especially as it's still not receiving very much food.

Once everything settles down the weight will start dropping off again then you'll wonder why on earth you were worrying :hug99:

Thanks guys for all ur responses, well after doing some thinking i have decided its best to cut out the extra carbs from now on as am addicted to carbs and after eating some carbs ie bread( which of course have not had yet lol) it sends me on a bender to want to munch all day :(
I have spent many years just living off processed carbs and not protein so from now on am doing my best to reduce them and get into good habits that i will keep for life.
So from now on at lunch i will do what we were told to do on our pre op diets and not have any carbs at all, so i will replace it will either 1/4 or 1/2 pot of cottage cheese, which has a very high protein count 1/4 is 6 grms and 1/2 is 12 grms and managed 1/2 pot yesterday and enjoyed it.

I know i am healing and am only 3 weeks tomorrow but does not seem like that at all seems like months ago, but for me it is very important i break my life long bad food habits and that means starting now and not putting it off till another day.

I will be successful and intend to work blo*dy hard at making my bypass be as successful as possible as it can be, i think up to yesterday i was just sailing away and just depending on my bypass to do the work but now i realise its just a fab tool to help me and i have to do all the work and make the right choices to get optimum effect !!

Back