• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is this normal or am i just abnormal !!

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all well i was wondering if any one started feeling hungry about 10/12 weeks post op.
About 10 days ago i started feeling hungry and this worries me, i have to admit i am still not having many snacks and some days none at all, and still struggling with hot food and protein so alot of my food will be slider foods.
I thought they took away that hormone "Grelin" sorry if got it wrong lol and that hormone i thought was meant to make u not feel hungry or have i got it back to front :sigh:
I am having 2 litres of nas squash and try to get my protein in sometimes its only about 50 grms as am worried that more calories will slow things down.

This is worrying me big time and getting me stressed and i worry i am doing something wrong, granted when i am hungry i have gone without food for about 4/5 hrs and would of usually had either a small amount of cereal and yoghurt instead of milk or a protein shake.
Have been told at 3 months which i am now i should be having about 800 cals and am doing about that but the weight has really slowed down big time so with that and the hunger i am getting worried and its stressing me out big time.

All advice and opinions will be truly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read my post, take care luv Roch xxx

Hi

Personally I am glad someone else feels hungry. I often do and did from the begining. So I think it is quite normal. I guess everyone is different tho so some wont.

As for the hunger hormone thing I have never heard of one so cant help with it sorry.

You have properly reached a plateau and weight does slow down. The first 6 months are good then it becomes harder to stift off.

you have done so well keep up the good work it will come off again. I am sure someone will be alone soon and be able to help you

Jo
xx

hi roch.. i felt hungry at about the same stage.. sometimes its head hunger and i believe me after ive ate i know because if it is it comes straight back up! aslong as your eating the right things it doesnt matter xx

Hi, I've felt hunger from the very beginning and have found the more protein I eat the less hungry I feel (also this is being acknowledged in the scientific community that protein helps you control hunger better). I have just been on holiday to Italy for 2 weeks and ate more than I normally do and have come back 2lb lighter than when I went so I definitely think that eating more of the right kind of food helps our metabolism. If you don't eat enough then your metabolism (i.e. energy burning up the fat) slows right down. Try to stay away from the slider foods if you can and have healthy snacks and lots of protein. Don't worry too much though, I've had lots of stalls and found its just my body catching up.

Hi Roch
I too have always had hungry spells from the start and still do, they aren't head hunger as i always try the drink bit 1st! I have to say from personal experience as one who has never used protein shakes and only gets protein from food i haven't noticed any difference in how hungry i feel or last between eating if i up my protein in any way. I have tried this as i know its been proven i guess i'm just different but it hasn't affected my weight loss! We have spoken Roch and you are definatly not abnormal in any way, i think its because you struggle to vary your foods( i know how difficult that is for you) and old habits are so hard to break! You have lost over 7.5 stone and thats fantastic and you look fab! You are too hard on yourself Hun this will come and i'm with you all the way so hang in there and i'll call you tonight xx

hiya Roch well i went to my first support group meeting last night, and the subject of feeling hungry came up, now i'm nearly 2yrs post op and was intrigued and relieved when i was told that, those of us who have had bypass will feel hunger, because we still have our original stomach still inside us, and this produces the hormone which makes us feel hungry, whereas those who have had sleeve will not because the access stomach is taken out when they make the sleeve, i feel hungry all the time and was thinking there was something wrong with me, hope that helps, the meeting was quite good by the way.

Just wanted to add that you are in no way abnormal, this site is great in that each of the feelings/experiences we have are backed up by others who have experienced the same. Also wanted to comment on how great you are looking in your recent pic - you have done so well and should be patting yourself on the back in acknowledgement. its normal to feel that failure is waiting to happen like it has in the past, but we are all proof that this surgery has a really good success rate and you are proof of that by already losing a great amount of weight. Confidence will come as time goes on.

Hi Roch,

Shazbrad is correct, It is sleevers that have the unused part of their tummy removed and therefore the "hunger hormone" along with it. Bypassers still have their stomachs and therefore it is normal for bypassers to feel hunger again once all the post op swelling has subsided and they return to some sort of normality.

It took me a while to recognise hunger post op, as I often get grumbling sounds but have realised that this is just my new anatomy and doesnt mean I am hungry. In fact I rarely feel hunger now and so have to eat by the clock to ensure I dont go too long between meals.

Hi Roch, you're not alone by any means I felt hungry from about the same time, still do despite keeping protein up. You will deal with it its just a learning game and it must be harder for you as you struggle with various things. You have done great and will continue to lose

M

Back