• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help with akward question

Maphillips

Hi I know it's going to sound silly but dont know what to ask to get a sleeve or bypass
It's a long story but will try to explain I was 32 stone and had a band fitted it brought me down to 22 stone which is great but had to have the band removed due to it slipping but I have put 4 stone back on and feel sick all the time I am seeing mr ackroyd again in jan when he took the band out said could not put a sleeve in as my bmi was to low at 33 now it's 47 but feel a failure as trying to stop eating but this sick feeling drives me mad and eating gets rid of it
Sorry to go on but really stuck and don't know we're to turn
Just don't know how to ask him as he will think I am weak willed
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark. I think you need to be honest with him and how you are feeling sick all the time. Give him as much information as possible to be able to make a clinical decision as to what will be the best solution for you - his patient.
Write down the reasons why you think a sleeve or bypass is the best solution for you, so you can counter any objections he may pose.

Well done for losing the initial 10 stone, and for not putting more than 4 of them back on!

Good luck for your appointment in Jan. At least you haven't got too long to wait.

After you speak with your surgeon they should advise which would be better for you. I had not heard of the sleeve before I attended clinic and saw presentation. But my surgeon thought bypass would be better for me.

Thanks for your support I think writing it down will be a good idea
Will keep you in touch with what happens
Just feel let him down but have been trying really hard
Thanks again

hey Mark, just tell him that you'd like a bypass/sleeve whatever he feels is best. He knows that we have bypasses because we cant maintain weight loss, and as you're putting weight back on im sure he will be on your side. Lots of peopple go from a band to a bypass, good luck :) xxx

Wish I had bypass to start with but said band was best as less time under but was a nightmare after they tighten it

Hi Mark :) Mr Ackroyd was my surgeon too & is very approachable so just tell him how it is. You could not help having to have the band removed & he will know you have tried to maintain but can't. Do you have funding in place for another op or were you private? He is the best person to discuss your needs with, honey ... good luck :) xx

I was on nhs and at the time of having the band removed could not get funding as my bmi was at 39 now it's at 49 six months later on so might get it also do have sleep apnea and high blood pressure so might go in my favour
Thanks just dreading it feel let him down as cannot keep it off but I only have about 2000 cals a day but getting tired more now used to have so much more energy when had the band it's this sick feeling what's worse and the bloating just rotten

It's the constant sick feeling that concerns me, and now you've added bloating to the mix, I'm wondering whether you've developed some sort of IBS / food intolerance? Is that worth exploring?

Are you eating mainly carbs now you have no restriction? I know carbs are hard to eat with a band. Beige carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc will make you gain and give you a bloated feeling. Especially if your body has got used to not having them.
I had a bypass, I could have had a sleeve but didn't want to take the risk that I may need a sleeve to bypass revision later.

I only have 2 slices of bread a day do have pasta once a week but apart from have a bad day once a week were I go silly stick to the diet like glue she set me 1800 cals a day dietician but still putting on every week she says it's because your body got used to a lot less but the bloated sick feeling comes all the time I cut out bread no difference I cut out pasta no difference I've tried salad but that makes it worse bloat more just getting fed up

hi

Thanks just dreading it feel let him down as cannot keep it off but I only have about 2000 cals a day but getting tired more now used to have so much more energy when had the band it's this sick feeling what's worse and the bloating just rotten[/QUOTE]

hi map you are not letting him down at all
he will be happy to see you are taking responability
for you litte weight gain and realising you need help
is good,
by little i mean you have lost 10 stone in all and 2000callories is about right so you are trying,

can you not go your docs about the sickness and bloating,
i had sickness and i was given lanzoprazol they help alot, and this bloating i can put on 12Ib just in warter retention, have tablets now
i think your doc may help you with this.

good luck with what ever you choose and keep posting let us know how you get on. xxx

Back