• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help with next step

Lisav

Hi everyone,

I posted here a while back about starting my journey to apply for funding. I visited my GP last year who sent me on a weight management course which to be honest was absolute rubbish. I was with a group of people who mainly had never dieted before, who were depressed, unemployed because of their weight and miserable. It wasn’t a happy place to be. I struggled with the fact that we were covering old ground (for me) as I have been to every weight loss group going, I struggled also with the atmosphere and I also struggled with the fact that we weren’t pushed to lose weight or given diets to follow, just a meeting and chat, and then someone would gain five pounds and the dietician would say “oh well, better luck next week” whereas I felt I needed someone a bit stronger who would want to know why I’d gained, what I’d eaten, what exercise I’d done and look at my food diary etc. None of this was done, I felt it was a complete waste of time. I am now even more in trouble with my weight, I am getting pain in my joints, I have high anxiety (to the point that I wont go to the cinema unless I book those expensive VIP seats, as I’m scared I wont fit in a seat) and I am thoroughly fed up of being this overweight. I try to do exercise and then pay for it for two to three days with the pain in my knees and hips, its like a neverending circle. I have an appointment to go back to my GP on 27th (first appointment available) and I need to tell him all of this, but I don’t know what I can say to convince him to refer me for WLS. I should still be going to the weight management, but its once a month now and they have changed the time and place, making it difficult for me to get to with my job, but I feel I really need help NOW. Any advice is welcome.

Off topic – does anyone else here panic about holidays? I am highly anxious at present, as I have a holiday booked to turkey in july, I am worried about everything from fitting in the plane seat, to breaking a sun lounger, to how I look on the beach etc. I’d love to have a don’t care attitude, but I do care and I’m terrified.

Hi Lisa - I understand where you are coming from. I used to be one of those "don't care" but once I got over 18 stone - it completey changed, as you say it's the fear of public humiliation, not fitting into seats, not being able to get down an aisle, not being able to fit on the sun lounger - I went from a 4 times a year traveller to nil !
I totally agree these NHS weight loss groups are a pile of S**** - just a tick box exercise prior to referral I am afraid, has to be done for you to get PCT funding for your op, so stick with it, if nothing else just to remind yourself what you don't want to be!
Is there anyway you can raise the money to pay for your surgery - the reason I ask is that it is a long and painful process and you have to weigh up the risk and benefit of waiting perhaps a further 2 years to go under the knife - for me it was a small price to pay (interest rates are low a the moment) for my health and happiness...the year I sat on the NHS waiting list was probably the worst in my life - it was like the carrot was their but I just could not reach it.
Good luck in your journey - and remember you are a L'oreal girl - You are worth it! xx

That's so lovely Dani, thank you! My parents have discussed helping to fund the surgery as they are so worried about me, but I want to see what the GP says first, as I dont want to put strain on my parents, and I really dont want to lend that kind of money. I wake up in the night and lay there worrying about everything, I always think the worst too, I just feel this will never end. Thank you though for your response x

Again...exactly how I was, and in the end I took my parents up on the offer of a loan - after a year of waiting I felt I physically and mentally could not wait any longer to push the "reset" button on life. I am now 3 weeks post op and wish I had done this a year ago! xx

Hi Lisa,
I know exactly how you feel. I can sympathise with each thing you said.
I also cant afford to go private. So I took the step and approached my GP, the sooner you start the journey the better.
Can I ask, have you enquired who your PCT is and what their criteria is?
If you meet their criteria for funding, then you need to jump through all their hoops, which can take up to 2 years in some cases.
If you don't meet the criteria, then sadly the only option would be to accept the offer from your parents.

Such a hard situation to be in.... but there is lots of support on this forum.

Good Luck with your journey!
SNx

Lisa v i have been there n i got on the plane and had a great holiday and then the year after can't waitb to go now am lighter in weight will be fab with new body xx

Lisa v i have been there n i got on the plane and had a great holiday and then the year after can't waitb to go now am lighter in weight will be fab with new body xx

Oh! I'm still going, I'll find ways to make it work, but I just panic about everything. Like you know those plastic chairs - garden furniture - I cant even fit my backside in those, so i will be avoiding any place that has them! Go you, having a holiday with a fit new body! I can only wish!

Hi Lisa,
I know exactly how you feel. I can sympathise with each thing you said.
I also cant afford to go private. So I took the step and approached my GP, the sooner you start the journey the better.
Can I ask, have you enquired who your PCT is and what their criteria is?
If you meet their criteria for funding, then you need to jump through all their hoops, which can take up to 2 years in some cases.
If you don't meet the criteria, then sadly the only option would be to accept the offer from your parents.

Such a hard situation to be in.... but there is lots of support on this forum.

Good Luck with your journey!
SNx

Thank you for the support SN, it's very kind. I have been on this journey nearly a year already, I did give my parents the quote for the gastric band from WLS the other day, so I have let them know I'm thinking about it. I'm seeing the Doctor next tuesday, so I'll see how that goes and update.

thanks again.

Hi Lisa,
A brief update for you; I met my PCT BMI threshold to quality for funding which only took about 3-4 weeks from my GP writing to them. I was referred to St Georges (which is a bit frustrating as they have one of the longest waiting lists.). I got a call from them offering me an appointment for a group session within 2 weeks of getting my funding confirmation. I had the session this evening, and we were told that now we have to wait circa 9 months for our next appointment with the WLS Team. Thereafter a couple of months for surgery waiting list. So I am expecting a years wait.
ho hum... just have to wait now with the support of all thee forums!
SNx

I am with my parents now and told them all the information I have got from here and they have said they don't want me to wait any longer and want to pay. I have started looking for somewhere in Oxford that I can have my surgery done. Thanks for all the advice. Xx

Lisav said:
I am with my parents now and told them all the information I have got from here and they have said they don't want me to wait any longer and want to pay. I have started looking for somewhere in Oxford that I can have my surgery done. Thanks for all the advice. Xx

What lovely, caring, understanding parents. Very best of luck to you xxx

Lisa you will not regret this at all, how lovely your parents feel able to help out. I would highly recommend Mr Ameet Patel - he mainly works in the London area though. Good luck xxx

Lisav said:
Thank you! I know I am so very lucky and have the best parents in the world :)

And obviously they have the best daughter :)

Back