• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Salford Hope Gastric Bypass

emmalouise1989

X Emma X
After 2 years of arguing my case with central lancashire PCT i have finally just found out this week that i have funding for my gastric bypass. =D
I am 22 and weigh 28st and have always struggled with my weight, i am so relieved that i am finally going to have my surgery.

I have been under DR summers Team in the weight management Dep in salford hope, i believe shes a bariatric consultant.

Just wondering if their is anyone else who is having their surgery in SALFORD who can tell me what the next steps are and how long i should be expecting to wait for my surgery from this point.

I have heared you have to see a psychiatrist and the surgeon just wondering if someone can shed some light on it all and how long it may take

thanks

emma

I'm afraid I don't know the answers but wanted to say congrats on winning your battle . Let's hope it goes smooth from here on

i had my funding agreement letter about a month ago, am havine the group meeting tomorrow at blackpool spire is 5 hr appt blood tests x rays ecg , watch presentation about the surgery, i think i also have a chat with dietician and have to take forms about previous surgery and medication etc,,so this may be of some use to you :) after i've been tomorrow will up date what went on xx and if i know anything important :)

With Salford you have to see a psychologist and a sleep clinic to be sure you are ready for surgery and do not have sleep apnoea.

I think the wait is around 3-6 months from seeing the consultant.

Hi hun

I am at Salford Royal, I had my funding approved in April 2011, had meeting 26th May with dietician, psych and consultant, 20th June had sleep apnoea test, 8th July went on the list and am having my op a week on Monday, so was around 6 months hun xxx

hi, thank you all for your replies, i am going in today to see my gp to fill in some form she said came with the funding so going to see if she has any idea too, also i have just had my thyroid removed and the surgeon sent me for a sleep apnea test and im getting the results today so if i can get a copy of them results do you think that may shorten the process a little?
Bex thats amazing im really happy for you =D
i just cant wait to have mine, and me and my partner are desperate to start a family but this op has to come 1st, i just hope im not waiting forever.

Yes I'm like Bexs so around 6 months. Once you have seen the surgeon and had the pre-op the max wait is 17 weeks but they like to have you done before 12 weeks, the biggest issue is the funding so well done. Glad to have you on board. Salford have a meeting the first wed of every month where everyone meets up and you can get lots of info there. They have guest speakers who go through the different ops, diets, food stages etc so you can get lots of info and advice. Really friendly group of mixed people some have had surgery some waiting etc.Really worthwhile if you live near enough, Good luck on your journey x

Its all changed since i had mine there 3 years ago but you really are in good hands. I also still go to the monthly meetings as its a constant learning curve. hope to meet you at some time. what area are you from as some of us meet up on a casual basis from time to time. x

hi, thanks
i got the results and i dont have sleep apnea so haveing them sent onto my gp to send on to salford.
and i saw my gp and she said she had to send a form back with my funding with my waist circumfrance, blood test results and what weight loss medication i have ever tried, and shes worried they can change their minds depending on her responce because central lancashire cost cuts have affected weight loss surgery so she said she will try her best in the letter.
i was also refered to the psychologist in june but still havent heared anything or had any appointment so i think its just that im waiting on now because iv has the sleep test, then its just the surgeon and pre op i think so im hopefull at the moment.

=D

oh and yes i deffinantly want to come to the next meeting, its the 1st wednesday of Nov isnt it, 7-9? but where do i go when i get to the mayo building?

also do i need to register or ring up or anything or do i just turn up?
x
emma

angiemason how did you get on with you appointment??

I will prob still be on ward 3 the time of the next meeting in salford lol. Good with the sleep apnea that will save you time hun xxx

It was a long day, first watched presentation about all the different ops and pro's and con's of each, then had blood tests (quite a few bottles) then saw the dietician had a chat about what i eat and habits am i emotional eater etc, filled in a form so they can work out what type of operation will suit you because if you eat lots of sugary food for example then band won't really be suitable i eat a lot of meat so have gone for the duodenal switch which i am waiting for the diet sheet from the dietician at Murrayfield. I believe it's very high protein bit like old atkins diet so have to try it first to see if i think i can live with it. :) then i saw nurse ecg test, blood pressure , chat about how i would cope at home after surgery hubby etc, swabs for mrsa , then i saw Mr Macadam surgeon he talked about my options and said i was perfect candidate for DS as my diabetes will disappear within days, my weight will fall off and so help my rheumatoid arthiritis . He is making appt list on thursday this week so maybe i might hear soon but as i'm now going to murrayfield i may have to see surgeon there first which might delay things by a couple of weeks.:( but he said possibly December :) :) :) :)
Hope this helps i feel great today and really positive i've made right decision xx

thats awesome im really happy for you!!!

Hope all goes well for you Emma & it won't be too long before you hear the patter of tiny feet ... good luck, sweetie xxx :):)

hi, thank you all for your replies, i am going in today to see my gp to fill in some form she said came with the funding so going to see if she has any idea too, also i have just had my thyroid removed and the surgeon sent me for a sleep apnea test and im getting the results today so if i can get a copy of them results do you think that may shorten the process a little?
Bex thats amazing im really happy for you =D
i just cant wait to have mine, and me and my partner are desperate to start a family but this op has to come 1st, i just hope im not waiting forever.

:wave_cry:Hiya Emmalouse,
You are doing all the right things-
Keep prompting at every stage:D
If you come to SRH I can introduce to a verygood friend -
who now has an absolutely gorgeous 8 month old baby:)

had a call yesterday have to start post op diet today to see if i can stick to it, then see mr kerrigan 08/11/2011 at Murrayfield have to take diet diary with me then hopefully if all ok will get my date then xx fingers toes eyes legs everything crossed :)

Hi my funding approved in August have been on cpap since feb also have had pre op psychology ass done meet with surgeon 3rd nov and have 3 other appts on that day too apparantly though don't know what they are I think others have maybe had a smoother journey cos I'm still not on the list and am approaching 3 yrs since referral but I have survived this journey and am sooo looking forward to my new life good luck to everyone xx

OMG OMG i just had a letter through to say that my fundings through and will be paid by my PCT and i am now having my surgery at the spire =D and not just that i also have an appointment for first thing monday morning!!
its the 5 hour one that you had angiemason, im so happy and glad to be having it at the spire rather that salford hospital!
little confused tho because i thought i wouldnt be seeing surgeon until i had seen a phychiatrist ? but if there happy im happy :p

I am going Salford royal on Thursday got 4 appts apparantly I only know about the one where I'm eventually meeting my surgeon sooooo excited am hoping I come home on the waiting list thanks for listening :) x

Back