• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help??

markus

Hi, new to this, after 20 years of fat fighting, i fell upon a sympathetic GP, Ive tried all the non surgical, reccomended NHS treatments, finally referred for funding 11 months ago for surgical treatment, was told yesterday i have been refused funding, i cant appeal, am being referred to Hope Hospital weight clinic, 40 miles away, Im going with it in the hope I will eventually get the surgury I need. I dont know what to do xx Is Hope likely to help????:cry:

Hi, new to this, after 20 years of fat fighting, i fell upon a sympathetic GP, Ive tried all the non surgical, reccomended NHS treatments, finally referred for funding 11 months ago for surgical treatment, was told yesterday i have been refused funding, i cant appeal, am being referred to Hope Hospital weight clinic, 40 miles away, Im going with it in the hope I will eventually get the surgury I need. I dont know what to do xx Is Hope likely to help????:cry:

Hi and welcome. Did they say why they refused funding and what PCT are you under?

Lin xx

Hi markus, o dero sweets, i find it incredibly frustrating to hear when people who need wls dont get it :( seems terribly unfair.......

hopefully your gp will get this sorted for you and manchester will accept you for wls, there s loads on here under manchester is it salford you mean?... so do stick around this site is amazing for help and inspiration and we will all be with you on your wls journey, you WILL get there please dont lose faith we will be with you to help you, many more will come along who will tell you that they were to refused but now have there ops dont lose faith..... stick with us lad were quiet good at giving giggles along our journey but also a shoulder is always there to!!!
xxx

The letter to my GP said i didnt meet any of the criterior for surgery, its as if they havent read my medical notes, I am in Leyland lancs , not sure which PCT that is x

How come you can't appeal? I thought everybody had the right of appeal?

Hi Hun
as I've said to others before, jump through the hoops and eventually they will have to give you the funding, although it's hard t6o offer any advice to you as you haven't put your bmi up.
I was sent to Hope hospital first, and after an initiall consult with the Dr there he wrote a letter supporting my bypass xx

my last weigh inJanuary gave me a BMI of 45, not sure what it is now tho, Im sure its not less than that x

salford royal used to be called hope hospital, and is still referred to as hope by a lot of people, it technically is salford, not manchester, but i think all the manchester facilities were transferred there from what i can gather.

In our area you had to had a bmi of 60 to get NHS surgery. Slightly lower if you had co morbities.

So, at the salford clinic am i likely to get help other than being told to go on a diet and exercise, Ive had xenecal treatment for 18 months to no great affect then reductil which ihad for over 6 months untill it was withdrawn.

Mark, here's what happened with me.....
1. Approached GP re WLS aug 2009
2. Recieved app to see Dr Syed at Hope Oct 2009, he's the weight clinic guy, he wrote a letter to my PCT backing my application. I dont want to get your hopes up but maybe the same will happen to you.
3. Granted funding Nov 09
4. Had op Jan 2010
I would suggest you plead your case to him, it cant hurt xx

My first thoughts where stuff it, and myself, Im gunna die young and not be around another 40 years, then i thought, take the referral, see what they say, my notes dont lie, i have tried everything and its all in there, when i say 20 years it literally has been 20 years of battling and my notes show that x

as far as i know anybody can appeal, i dont know what pct you come under, but i come under salford and my bmi was just slightly over 40. its worth checking, and do you have any co morbidities, eg diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure

Every one can appeal just write your own letter dont let them put you off, people on here have appealed and got in DONT GIVE UP ITS YOUR RIGHT good luck x

Hi Mark, as far as I know anyone can appeal....ring your PCT and ask for some advice. Look on the BOSPA website and you will find your PCT on there. Good luck and dont give up XX

Back