• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Greetings!

clairyb

Hello, My name is Claire and Ive lurked for a while........let me fill you in!!
My doctor referred me last year and I went through all the tests etc at York only to be told I had not got funding :cry:. I am not at the desired bmi yet but I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnoea. I drive for a living so I have to wear the darned mask and have had to let the DVLA know. At least I dont snore now but I hate having to wear it!! I was hoping that it might help with the funding but it was not to be.I also have an underactive thyroid but that doesnt seem help either. I went back to my docs and she was as disapointed too and I asked about doing an appeal. As I write this she is on the case (I hope...... because she hadnt done one straight away!)
I met some nice girls at the support meeting who have all had their ops and are doing well and I'm still here feeling so fat and frumpy. When I found out that I had not got funding I was gutted and after feeling sorry for myself I got out and started walking and biking, eating more healthily and was enjoying it but It HURTS my joints so much!! When the dark nights set in I even had a go at spinning at the gym (nearly killed myself!) ....all in all I lost the massive amount of 4 pounds....so much work for so little reward grrrrrrr. A year on I weigh more than I did last year, its so depressing. Ive worked out if I put on one and a half stone I will be the right bmi and its so tempting to put weight on to lose it if you understand? I think someday I will get there but Im no spring chicken and my joints are screaming out!! The last thing I want is to put more strain on them..........there is no way I can afford to go private, its dreadful that the system almost encourages you to get fatter.

Has anyone on here ever gained weight on purpose to meet the pct's funding criteria? If so how much? I really dont want to get bigger, but I am thinking I might have to!
Anyway, it's nice to meet everyone and this site is so good for information and people seem so friendly and helpful.
Cheers!! :D

Hi Claire i was turned down twice for not fitting this or that criteria and i had type 2 diabetes . sleep apnoea high cholesterol and rheumatoid and oesteo arthiritis.. don't give up honey as you can see i was finally accepted and had my op 28/11/2011 :) good luck and there is a lady at the moment who has been trying to put weight on to meet pct guidelines i'm sure she will be along soon to advise as will many others x

Welcome hun n good luck on ur journey :) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

hi Clairy and welcome to the site :) good luck with your appeal :) yes there are some that have put on weight to get funding, and some actually wore ankle weights and had coins in their pocket when they were weighed, how awful :D

good luck sweet :) xxx

Good luck I really hope you get your funding, it's so unfair the pct's criteria and it's make me sad the extreme measure we are forced into to get funding xX.

Hope you win your battle hun xxxxxxxxxx

HI, im the lady that has put on weight to meet criteria lol

as you can see in my signature i have put on about 7lbs now, and tbf its the hardest thing ive done...and is now making me think i may not need surgery because its not easy to put weight on!!

pct criteria has you jumping through hoops, if i was to get upto 50 BMI then i would have to put on approx 4 stone, that is not something i was willing to do, im in agony with my joints as it is,

7lb felt achievable and i know i can lose it again (im a very succesful dieter, i just cant KEEP it off)

definatley keep going, there are people in worse situations than me and you that have been refused, postcode lottery...so upsetting :(

good luck hun... i hope they allow you funding soon xxx

Thank you all for your replies, it fills me with hope seeing all your posts. I nearly just gave up at the first hurdle! I know that there is no way I could lose the amount of weight I need to lead a healthier life by sheer will power, so Im not going to give in....now where did I put my bag of patience?? lol (think I might need it!)

Sorry Missy i don't know your name xx i hope you don't mind me saying about it :)

course i didnt!! xx

Thank you all for your replies, it fills me with hope seeing all your posts. I nearly just gave up at the first hurdle! I know that there is no way I could lose the amount of weight I need to lead a healthier life by sheer will power, so Im not going to give in....now where did I put my bag of patience?? lol (think I might need it!)

You have to have commitment AND patience lol its hard to have both....im hoping i make it to the weight management and i'll take it from there, there is loads of support here though, youve come to the right place xx

Back