• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help

funkybull

I am really struggling, I had my bypass in 27th nov and still feel unwell and can eat very little, but over the last week I have had some bizarre symptoms!

I feel like I have a lump in my throat, and I was sick last Friday and since then I have not eaten anything or hardly had anything to drink but I have been retching 4-5 times a day, the only thing that comes up I'd clear phlegm and spit.

I have rung my provider and both the consultant and his secretary are on holiday, I spoke to one of the others and her response was "we'll u have an appointment in April, can u wait till then!" I said no and she told me to contact my gp, which I have but they wasn't much help either!!!!

Has anyone else had any of these symptoms

I have, but only after eating something that I couldn't tolerate. They didn't last long either. If I were you, I'd get myself off to A&E and get it checked out. Just to be on the safe side xx

Yes hun, Paula's right you can't carry on like that - go get it checked out xx

I agree hospital just in case.

I'm 6 wks post op and for about a week now i've had a constant sicky feeling pretty much every minute of the day(even as I type this) but nothing comes up. Have you got a lot of stomach acid? I use to and it would burn my throat in the night and feel like a lump in the morning.

Hiya, I'm a bit further on than you but recently I had a bout of tonsillitis & couldn't eat for 10 days... once I started feeling better I still couldn't eat & I constantly felt sick... I contacted l&d (where i had my op) & they recommended anti sickness & antacid tablets. Even though we have a teeny pouch heartburn can be a major issue for bypassers but for some reason it doesn't manifest itself in the same way as those with a normal sized stomach!!! Were you prescribed lansaprazole or omeprazole post op? if not or you've finished them it might be worth getting your gp to prescribe you some!
Hope you feel better soon xx

Ps I still get the retching thing from time to time & it's the most frustrating thing feeling sick when you can't actually be sick... especially when you know for a fact you'd feel better if you could be sick!!! x

I was very similar - I had to have three dilatations to sort myself out and touch wood I am fine now! Speak to the surgeon and my guess is they may need to stretch.

Hey funky, we had out op on same day, same surgeon....if u recall i was telling u how i was finding it difficult to eat coz if i ate something, all that came up was phlegm, to be honest i think i found the solution, eating slowly and sticking to the foods my stomach can tolerate, i have just started having my homemade spaghetti bolognaise and it seems to go down ok without bringing up phlegm, altho the other day i had a little cheese n potato from a cheese n onion pastie and thats it, wouldn't go down and all i had in throat was phlegm.....what do u eat? And have u noticed whether u eat slow or fast, oh another thing, i'd advise u to eat with teaspoon or a small desert fork, that way u will eat the right amount..... Always wait for one mouthful to go all the way down until u put another in the mouth, if u pace urself like that i'm sure u will get the hang of it and all shall b well, i was really worried at the time too xx

Well I thought I'd just give you an update! I took your advice (thank god) and went to A&E and was admitted to hospital and put on a drip, this was on 14th feb, I was still retching and they sent me for tests to see if they were any blockages etc. then came 20th still no improvement and I went into cardiac arrest, I was giving CPR and 2 shocks to restart my heart, if I hadn't already been in hospital I may not have survived. It turns out my potassium was dangerously low which caused my body and electrodes?? To go haywire. Luckily, I have no lasting damage to my heart, and I was able to come home on Monday and I must say, whilst I'm not feeling 100% I am feeling the best I have since the op. I think I was in a vicious circle, I felt so ill because I wasn't eating and I couldn't eat because I felt so ill!! And I'm now doing well at eating and drinking and seem to be on the mend. Well apart from a strange numbness sensation from under my breastbone down to my legs!

Oh goodness me that must have been terrible for you. You didnt say what was stoping you from eating, did you need a stretch or was it just the body swelling up stopping you from eating? Pleased you are feeling better now and able to eat well done you have been through a tough time xx

So sorry to hear about what happened to you - but very glad you went to A&E. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a smoother weight loss journey going forward x x

I'm so happy you went to A&E and your on the mend. Same thing happened to my mum in law as regards potassium. Fortunately she wasn't alone at home when it happened, but she has a defibrillator fitted as she has Barters syndrome.

Potassium carries your electrolytes to your muscles and the electrolytes are what instruct your muscles to work. If your potassium levels are non existent, your muscles just stop working. Your heart is a muscle and that's why it stops, resulting in cardiac arrest. I'm glad you were in the right place at the right time xx

Back