• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Herbal pills

ceejay

Hi all. I had my sleeve op 3 weeks ago, and was wondering if anyone knows if I can take my herbal supplements. I used to take 5HTP to help with mild depression, mood swings, etc., but stopped them when I was given my date. I feel like I could do with taking them again, but unsure if it's safe...
Thought I'd see if anyone here knows the answer, before I bother my team!
Thanks in advance.

Hi all. I had my sleeve op 3 weeks ago, and was wondering if anyone knows if I can take my herbal supplements. I used to take 5HTP to help with mild depression, mood swings, etc., but stopped them when I was given my date. I feel like I could do with taking them again, but unsure if it's safe...
Thought I'd see if anyone here knows the answer, before I bother my team!
Thanks in advance.
i dont see why not honey, they're not from a pharmacy, they're herbal :) xx

Herbal does not always mean safe as some herbs like St. John's Worth has been shown to cause multiple drug interactions...

I think it would be best to ask your doctor.

Agree with mini. Herbal is definitely not always safe. The whole industry is very unregulated & often the herbs are not purified or standardised. Some of the factories they make them in are appalling in very remote parts of the world. Often they are cross contaminated with bacteria tht could be more harmful to post op patients. I know this dusty very well through my work. Please check with your doctor/team. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I have taken these pills before and trust the source. I was more concerned about the effect on my new 'sleeved' stomach, so I will contact my team for more advice.
Thanks again.

Back