• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lansoprazole; hate the side effects

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I've never had any problems with heartburn but when I had my endoscopy a few weeks ago, the doctor prescribed me these pills because he said it had shown I had mild gastritis. I have a months supply then he said to go to my gp for any further prescriptions. But he didn't say how long I'm meant to take them for.

Trouble is that these pills just don't agree with me. I've had a horrible bout of sickness and diarrhoea, plus I can't get to sleep at night for several hours, despite taking a major tranquiliser at night. I have stomach aches now and abdominal pain, although it's very mild. But the worst symptom for me is that I'm feeling depressed again and have been crying myself to sleep at night. I haven't felt like this in ages. I am certain it is a side effect of the pills because it ties in exactly with me starting to take them.

I figured if it was just for the month I would put up with it and take the tablets. But when I searched lansoprazole on this forum I saw posts about how people are prescribed it for life after their surgery. I don't want to tell the doc about the depression because they are already twitchy about how my mood might affect me post surgery. I can handle this low mood if I know it's just temporary, but not if I'm on these pills for ever.

Did any of you have any bad side effects with lansoprazole and did they disappear after a while? I know I should speak to my gp but I'm not due to see him again for a couple of weeks and I'm loathe to make yet another appointment.

Ive never heard of depression/low mood as a side effect of lansoprazole, and Im no expert, but cannot see how something to prevent stomach acid can tie in with depression.

I hope you get to the bottom of it though, as its not nice if you are on medication that does not agree with you x

depression is listed on the leaflet as one of the side effects. I have no clue how it can affect the brain either, unless it's down to the lansoprazole preventing my anti depressants from being absorbed properly.

How is our food absorbed if the pills are stopping our bodies making stomach acid btw? Surely it would just sit there?

So very sorry to hear you are feeling unwell... I would get straight back to your doctor first thing in the morning and get this straightened out a.s.a.p.
Love and best wishes xxx

Ah Ok Yorkie, I take lansoprazole but its been a long time since I read the leaflet.

As for how food gets absorbed, it is absorbed in the intestine, not the stomach. Thats why we have malabsorption with the bypass as some of the intestine is bypassed, meaning we dont absorb everything we eat.

Yorkiegal just seen your avatar - what a fabulous puppy xxxxxxxxxxx

yorkiegal mention this to your doctor they can prescribe other meds if you have a prob with lansoprazole. good luck xx

Go and speak to your GP. There are a few alternatives that they can try you on. Lansoprazole is fine for me but I was on Omeprazole for a while and that didn't agree with me. Different courses for different horses xx

aye there are alternatives, i was swapped to omeprazole during pregnancy and a few other members have reacted to the lanz and now take something else.

Hi there, I've been on this for ages as I have terrible GORD (one of the many lovely side effects of being fat!!!), but I've never had any problems with it. It is prescribed to reduce the amount of stomach acid produced in response to food intake, to give the stomach pouch & stoma chance to heal fully. As Sumbucca said, food absorption actually occus in the small intestine, although there is extensive enzyme & mechanical breakdown of food in the stomach, so you are quite right in saying that this drug can actually contribute to food malabsorption. As for Lansoprazole itself, if you are sure that this is the root of your problems, then do go back to your doctor and ask for an alternative. We are all different & we all react differently to drugs and you know yourself better than anyone, so don't suffer with these terrible side-effects un-necessarily. xxxx

An alternative is a solution. Do you think taking your tablet in the morning would be better for you? I take it and don't have any side effects but i do make sure i have it first thing in the morning. Not sure if that could make a difference to when you go to bed or not...

Good luck and don't be afraid to speak to your doctor xx

thanks guys. i do take the tablet in the morning and the rest of my meds at night. It used to be that I'd take my quetiapine (the major tranquiliser) and be knocked out 25 mins later, but since starting on the lansoprazole it seems to have no effect on me after being on it with no problems for 3 years.
I'll give the gp's surgery a call tomorrow. Feel like I'm there all the time at the moment though and don't want to annoy them.

I have never had any side effects from Lanzoprazole. I hope that you get sorted. :)

Back