• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Here goes.....

EirianThomas

I'm a 49 year old woman, 25 stone, BMI 65, have an appointment to see my GP 7th November to start the ball rolling. He did send a request a few years ago to the NHS but as I only had high bp I wasn't ill enough, cant remember my weight then but less. Still have my high bp but now have oestioarthritis too!
If the NHS turn me down, or take too long, I will go private, would like this op done next year.
Not sure yet which surgery to go for, suppose I will be given advise on this.
What does worry me with going abroad is the flying, only ever flown long haul, presume seats are smaller to Prague etc? Would like to hear what people did about the flying, did you have to book two seats?
Have been big too long, 50 next year & its just too restricting now, want to live my life again.
Any advice gratefully received.

Hi and welcome to our lovely community :)
I can't help you with foreign travel or surgery options but there's loads of threads about that if you've not already seen them. Good luck with your journey. I was given information about the options within my hospital. I expressed my preference and why I thought that was best for me and my surgeon agreed. If he'd had another preference though I would have listened to his rational and discussed it with him. The best thing you can do is really educate yourself about what surgery entails and the changes you will need to make for the rest of your life x

Hello and welcome.

I can't help with flying either as I had my surgery locally, but I know lots of people on here have gone abroad so hopefully they'll be along to help.

I just wanted to say welcome and good luck.

Hi I'm new too. Do you mind me asking what your bmi was when your doctor made that first referal? Mine is 40 and therefore only just on the threshold for consideration. My BP tends to be as high as it can be without being 'high'. I have the mildest asthma and only have to take my inhaler once a year if that. I'm not diabetic. I do have arthritis in my hips though and I am bipolar. I'm concerned about what will and won't count towards the decision for surgery.

Hi and welcome to our lovely community :)
I can't help you with foreign travel or surgery options but there's loads of threads about that if you've not already seen them. Good luck with your journey. I was given information about the options within my hospital. I expressed my preference and why I thought that was best for me and my surgeon agreed. If he'd had another preference though I would have listened to his rational and discussed it with him. The best thing you can do is really educate yourself about what surgery entails and the changes you will need to make for the rest of your life x
Thank you for replying. You are doing so well, you must feel so much better. I see you had the sleeve which is what I was most interested in, are you happy with it? Do you really not fancy the fatty & sweet foods anymore? This is what I read with the sleeve xx

Hello and welcome.

I can't help with flying either as I had my surgery locally, but I know lots of people on here have gone abroad so hopefully they'll be along to help.

I just wanted to say welcome and good luck.
Thank you for replying. You have lost 8+ stone, well done you, I wish you all the best. Can I ask why the mini bypass? Didn't realise before now that 'minis' were available & what it means xx

Hi I'm new too. Do you mind me asking what your bmi was when your doctor made that first referal? Mine is 40 and therefore only just on the threshold for consideration. My BP tends to be as high as it can be without being 'high'. I have the mildest asthma and only have to take my inhaler once a year if that. I'm not diabetic. I do have arthritis in my hips though and I am bipolar. I'm concerned about what will and won't count towards the decision for surgery.
Hi, it seems we have the same concerns! I'm sorry I have no idea what my BMI was last time it was a good few years ago now, it must have been high enough for the doctor to be happy to enquire but the reply was that I was not ill enough.
I'm concerned that it will take too long if I am accepted, obviously having it for free would be great but I feel that I have already left it long enough & am so restricted now I just want it done as soon as possible, having finally decided this is the only way for me. Just need to get my husband to agree about the money! xx

It's good that you have the means to make it happen no matter what. You're very lucky. That is absolutely not an option for me! We have about enough disposable income to go to the cinema once a month! The important thing is that you've recognised you need help and you've sought it out.

I'm very happy with it. I still eat sweet things but it's 2 chocolate rice cakes not a 200g bar of dairy milk. My dietician is happy I'm not banning any food and I'm eating a good variety of food but concentrating on protein first. A sleeve or any surgery won't fix the head stuff on it's own but it's definitely the tool I needed to keep me on the right track x

Thank you for replying. You have lost 8+ stone, well done you, I wish you all the best. Can I ask why the mini bypass? Didn't realise before now that 'minis' were available & what it means xx

Thank you!

You may know the mini bypass as the loop bypass, it's known by both names. I think at the moment only a few places do them in the UK, but the procedure seems to be becoming more popular, especially in Sunderland where I had my op. The main difference between the mini and full bypass is there's only one new join made with the mini while the full has two. You still have the same amount of intestine bypassed so predicted weight loss remains the same for both. Because I'm so heavy and have such a big BMI my surgeon gave me no choice as to what op to have. It had to be the mini as it's a shorter operation to the full bypass, and they wanted me under for a short of time as possible.

Thank you!

You may know the mini bypass as the loop bypass, it's known by both names. I think at the moment only a few places do them in the UK, but the procedure seems to be becoming more popular, especially in Sunderland where I had my op. The main difference between the mini and full bypass is there's only one new join made with the mini while the full has two. You still have the same amount of intestine bypassed so predicted weight loss remains the same for both. Because I'm so heavy and have such a big BMI my surgeon gave me no choice as to what op to have. It had to be the mini as it's a shorter operation to the full bypass, and they wanted me under for a short of time as possible.
Thanks for that. I never knew.
How are you now?

Thanks for that. I never knew.
How are you now?

Neither did I until my surgeon suggested it. In a way I'm glad I wasn't given a choice otherwise my head would have been spinning with choices.

I'm doing well. I've just moved from puree to soft foods and am enjoying them. Though it's still so weird being able to eat so little. I never thought I'd be satisfied with a few bites, and yet I am.

Getting to this point hasn't been easy at times, but I don't regret my decision in the slightest.

Back