• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to this site

joisthinner

Hi,
I'm Jo, I'm 42 and on sept 2011 I had a gastric band fitted with THG. I have done quite well on the weight loss front, losing 8 stone in a year. However, my port has been a problem from the start, taking a couple of X-ray fills, me seeing the surgeon to request repositioning before my surgical cover expiring (him refusing but agreeing if it ever needed repositioning he would do it free!). Port flipped at 12 months leaving me nil by mouth on an nhs ward on IV pain relief for 3 days! A couple of weeks later, the surgeon fliiped the port (for free). I had surgery on my ankle a couple if weeks later so didn't run for three months. The first time I did, the band disconnected from the port and now I am waiting to see the surgeon to sort it out. I suspect I will be charged £2000 for getting fixed and think I am throwing good money after bad so am considering a sleeve abroad! Hence checking out this forum as there seems to be a few on here who have had surgery abroad. Thanks for reading.
Jo x

hi not been abroad but there are many who have x well done on your weightloss tho

There are a fair few people who have gone abroad.

Good luck with your research, some advice for you - you might want to check if the operation would be two stage or one.

Some will do a one stage but its more risky!

There are a fair few people who have gone abroad.

Good luck with your research, some advice for you - you might want to check if the operation would be two stage or one.

Some will do a one stage but its more risky!

Thanks for replying! I am aware a one stage op is more risky but that's what I am requesting as I can't travel twice (child care!!). I figure with a BMI at 31 (not my worst of
46), this op has be to be less risky than my original op!! A bit naive I suppose but a risk I'm willing to take!

Its not necessarily the op, its the condition of your stomach.

If your band has been stitched in place for instance it will be harder to sleeve the stomach (more risk of leaks). Where as a two stage op will allow the stomach to repair, if needs be.

I'm not trying to put a downer on this for you but surely they are real considerations?

Its not necessarily the op, its the condition of your stomach.

If your band has been stitched in place for instance it will be harder to sleeve the stomach (more risk of leaks). Where as a two stage op will allow the stomach to repair, if needs be.

I'm not trying to put a downer on this for you but surely they are real considerations?

It is definately a consideration. The surgeon says it takes the risk of bleeding from 2.5% to about 5% generally (though his personal stats are better). But I think balanced against 2 aneasthetics, it is an acceptable risk, especially as they do a leak test on day two. I have asked about blood products (how they are obtained, stored, processed etc). Infection rates etc.

Definitely get the upgrade in one operation, as you point out you are doubling up on everything.

You will probably have really bad scarring from your band, I would triple check whether a sleeve is a good progression as you may have less issues with the state of your stomach with a bypass.

Going abroad...... a step too far for me to consider!

Just converted from band to bypass, a jolly good move indeed!

Hi jo

Who was your surgeon with THG?
I am getting paranoid about band ops going wrong out of warrantee.

Hi, my surgeon was Mr Super. Very competent but a little stubborn and superior! To be fair, I had seen him a channel 4 documentary and was aware of that. Having worked with surgeons for over 20 years, I am well aware his attitude is better than most (I suppose you need to have a God complex to 'cut' people up!) but have found it a little frustrating at times (I never start an argument unless I know I'm right and get frustrated when people won't come around to my way of thinking!!)

I decided to have a band as I felt it was reversable (it may be but honestly, why do you want it to be? If you can't lose weight and maintain it on your now then why will you be able to in 10 years? Current vague predicted life of a band).
Also felt it was lower risk. (It is but the biggest risk is the general anaesthetic which is the same or near enough for all WLS.)
It was cheaper. (It is initially but factor in fuel for fills, fills when your package ends, potential future surgery cost for port revision (potentially about to have second), x rays (had 3), removal if necessary (free on the NHS maybe) and general complications (spent 3 days on IV fluids and IV pain relief when my band was too tight and port flipped), and a surgery (bypass or sleeve) that is irreversible but absolute cost, mostly, may cost more initially but when you've paid out, if anything goes wrong, it will mostly be in your surgically covered time.
Anyway, I am biased and currently unhappy with my band!! I am still over 6 stone lighter than pre band and 8 1/2 lighter than 2 years ago so overall, I'm happier than pre band but totally wish someone had mentioned the sleeve to me!!

Sorry tubbytutor,

Just realised you are post op. wouldn't have posted that if I'd realised! If I could work out how to edit it I would!! As I say, I don't regret WLS at all! I'm just a little disheartened with my band at the moment!

Didn't have the sleeve but had the wrap 2 weeks ago with Cosmetic Bliss. Was with a woman who had her band out and was also wrapped. Got to admit for a whole year whilst waiting for NHS approval (got turned down cos BMi was 49.7 and the criteria was 50!) was adamant that the band was for me until I read some horror stories. Hubby nearly had a fit at the idea of a sleeve- so for me the wrap was the best option- not regretting my decision so far- have lost 15lbs in 2 weeks post-op. Good Luck with whatever you decide. X

Well, as suspected THG wanted to charge a fair whack of money to fix my band with no post op warranty so I have booked a sleeve for 8 weeks time!! Now to make sure I don't gain anymore weight!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back