• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hey everyone, nerves & advice...

BandedHun

Joined the site the other night and introduced myself with some lovely responses. So thanks for that.

I'm off to my consultation tomorrow and all day today I've felt sick with nerves, upset stomach. Been constantly reading all the different issues. (I'm not sure how this site works so setting up diary , pictures, tickers etc I'm completely confused , and where to write etc)

I want to document my feelings etc everywhere because one its a great help to others and also on those days when you struggle being able to look back always becomes a massive motivation.

Anyway, now I'm reading about port pain, slippages, no restriction, errison , it's scaring the ? out of me.... And where I've got no one to support me ( well my other half says you have lost weight with weight watchers etc every year... You just need to do it again... ) but this is my life, my story, started as being able to loose 3st, then put on 4st then I could loose 4.5st and I'd put on 5st and this years weight loss from 2013-now was a 5st loss and now I'm 15.10! I can't cope with it anymore I'm miserable. I spend one day at my goal weight enjoying it. I felt the band is the best option for me because of its life long ability to smaller portions , that being my massive problem, or excessive secret binges when I wanted to punish myself for failing. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the band would not allow for the vast quantities to be consumed as it would one cause potential slippage ( that being my fear, hence y I don't think I'd EVER binge with I it in) two cause pain, three cause me to be sick/PB...

Stress? At the moment I have a hell of a lot going on, I've just had the final surgery back on 24t Jan from a two year existing injury, we are having to move house unknown when, I've started a new job in Dec and due back from sick on 7/04/2014 8 days post band date and my O.H is going into hospital on Thursday to see if he has testicular cancer. My little girl is referred to hospital for issues with her feet and bone growth. So I'm not feeling the greatest. Which I don't know whether this is adding to my nerves or I'm just scared of taking the plunge to looking after my health.

Can anyone reassure me that going it alone is the right option? ( I do wonder if my OH is not supportive because if it works he would still have the weight issues in himself , liking large portions etc)

no-one can really ultimately advise you if it is the right thing for you, but you do have to be fully armed with the pros and cons, the things that can go well as well as the things that can go wrong.

All weight loss surgery types can have complications. The band is simply a tool to help you lose weight, it won't stop you eating the wrong things, but it works by restricting portion sizes. It doesn't do that physically automatically, while you work to get restriction it's still physically possible to eat as you did - but guidelines limit sizes and you need to follow these.

You need to be aware that this is rarely an instant thing and that it can be a long journey to finding restriction. Restriction being tap hat eating a small portion of food with take away the hunger, that you don't eat until you're full and it's a good number of houreps before you feel hungry again.

However this can take a good number of fills, it's not instant (although I do know some people who have found restriction from the band being placed and also with a fill of only 1ml, but to the other end of the scale, I've had 14 fills, 19 months out and still have not found it. However my determination and sticking to my providers guidelines I've lost over 11 stone, so even though my band isn't working as it should (and it's now being investigated for a potential leak) it has helped me to make positive health eating choices and the fact that even though I can eat all the foods I did pre band and in large portions I don't because it can stretch the pouch and cause issues such as slippages etc.

The band won't stop you eating the "wrong" foods, only ultimately you can control what you put in. So e people can no longer eat certain foods and some providers ban food such as bread, pasta, rice etc

But it can be a great tool to lose weight IF you are prepared to work with it and the guidelines that you're presented with.

I do think it's important that you research options to make sure YOU are happy with the decision, I've done it alone. If my mum were still here she would know but only my aunt and son know about my band, it can be hard but I still go out for meals with friends and just take great care what I order but it doesn't stand out. I just eat much less by choice and cos my guidelines tell me to.

I am a single parent, and I know that I had to change my life, I started at 24 stone and soon I will be literally half the person I was. I do feel frustrated my band hasn't worked yet as it should, but it's placement has changed my life and so for me it has worked even if it's not as it should be. If it is found to be leaking then it will have to be replaced.

All surgeries have risks, but I researched for over 7 years because my fear of anaesthetic stopped me from booking - I wish I'd not wasted so much of my life!

Go to the consultation, ask all the questions you need to. If you're not satisfied see another provider to ask their advice. It's a big decision and there's nothing wrong in looking around or speaking to different companies or about different surgery types :)

Joined the site the other night and introduced myself with some lovely responses. So thanks for that. I'm off to my consultation tomorrow and all day today I've felt sick with nerves, upset stomach. Been constantly reading all the different issues. (I'm not sure how this site works so setting up diary , pictures, tickers etc I'm completely confused , and where to write etc) I want to document my feelings etc everywhere because one its a great help to others and also on those days when you struggle being able to look back always becomes a massive motivation. Anyway, now I'm reading about port pain, slippages, no restriction, errison , it's scaring the ? out of me.... And where I've got no one to support me ( well my other half says you have lost weight with weight watchers etc every year... You just need to do it again... ) but this is my life, my story, started as being able to loose 3st, then put on 4st then I could loose 4.5st and I'd put on 5st and this years weight loss from 2013-now was a 5st loss and now I'm 15.10! I can't cope with it anymore I'm miserable. I spend one day at my goal weight enjoying it. I felt the band is the best option for me because of its life long ability to smaller portions , that being my massive problem, or excessive secret binges when I wanted to punish myself for failing. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the band would not allow for the vast quantities to be consumed as it would one cause potential slippage ( that being my fear, hence y I don't think I'd EVER binge with I it in) two cause pain, three cause me to be sick/PB... Stress? At the moment I have a hell of a lot going on, I've just had the final surgery back on 24t Jan from a two year existing injury, we are having to move house unknown when, I've started a new job in Dec and due back from sick on 7/04/2014 8 days post band date and my O.H is going into hospital on Thursday to see if he has testicular cancer. My little girl is referred to hospital for issues with her feet and bone growth. So I'm not feeling the greatest. Which I don't know whether this is adding to my nerves or I'm just scared of taking the plunge to looking after my health. Can anyone reassure me that going it alone is the right option? ( I do wonder if my OH is not supportive because if it works he would still have the weight issues in himself , liking large portions etc)
It's completely normal to feel nervous. You are venturing into the unknown. U r doing the right thing by asking as much in advance as you can.
The band is not risk free but the risks are very low & u can reduce the risks by following the rules. I find having the rules there really helps me to keep on track & they are helping me change my eating habits (which I'm only now realising how bad they actually were!)
You sound like a classic yo yo dieter. I'd guess most if not all of us who've had wls have been yo yo dieters & as such have realised that we need a permanent solution. Being overweight is unpleasant at best, wls surgery is an excellent tool, the band is a great way to gain control.
I'm sure your journey will be easier with the support of ur oh. I was concerned about my oh reaction but he has been a star. I couldn't imagine doing this without him, ironically he has also lost a stone since I got banded, which is 1/3 of his excess weight! His eating & portions haven't really changed too much either.
You do have an awful lot going on which sounds very stressful. Stress is a trigger for me eating, maybe the band could help you with that or maybe you'd be better waiting until some of the stress has passed.
Maybe it would be useful to write down your motivations for wanting the surgery / reasons why you want to change yourself, (like a list of pro's & con's) together with or to share with ur hubby?
Only you can decide what's right for you.

Thanks so much the both of you. It has eased the anxiety about it.
I know it's not going to magically stop me "wanting" food but I'm hoping once I reach a level of satisfy the hunger ( I just I hope I achieve it) it will prevent the quantities I could consume being physically able to consume. I'm one of these people who if something has risks surrounding it like over eating and slippage, I won't want to risk that for any amount of food. I know at the moment I've just been trying to hurt myself by over eating because I feel like I've failed my life again.

I have read lots of diaries today and it does seem to really put "Hope" in to everyone's body's and minds in relation to weight loss, and providing your a "law obi dear to the rules of it" you can reap the benefits.

I was told I'm a perfect candidate because I'm active and I haven't reached extreme levels of obesity so therefore I'm on the right track but I think once I've had it done I'll believe it when I see it.

Thanks - I will keep you all posted if I decide tomorrow to go ahead.

Xx big big thanks xx

Hi,
Just take couple of deep breaths, arm yourself with the facts....take another deep breath & consider this (which is what I did....)
.... is the stress n strain in your life any worse than most other people's....OR do you view your stresses more unrealistically as you resort to overeating to compensate, which is what I did, for a long long time....
What I came to understand was that an awful lot of what I was unable to deal with was largely due to my food issues rather than the other way round....
So rather than deal with whatever life chucks at you, you retreat & eat....get bigger, lonelier, more unhealthy etc...

You will know that you are ready - May take a bit longer but you will get support in plentiful supply from likeminded peeps hun xx

Thanks Clare... What is revised though? I was reading your journey and I still have no idea what that is? SOZ

You are right, I blame all my stresses on my weight and then that I feel I can't cope because I don't want I be outside the home looking and feeling like this. ( I must admit I probably see my self a super obese person hence why I buy jumper etc in a sixpence 22/24 - and if and when I'm allowed to finally post pictures you may all be like.... Hum whats this girls issue) but for I can't cope being this weight and it getting heavier every time I fail a diet.

Deep down I think I know I want to try it, I'm just do scared of loosing my life savings and then the effects this will put in my relationship.

Having just written that it takes me back to being a child and my mum having a Huge chest and she could never loose too much weight because she was always left with the huge bajangers ... My dad wanted her to have the breast reduction and she finally did in her mid 30s late 30s maybe ... Any way by the time she turned 40 she was 11sta nd run the London marathon. She never looked back. Her frame you can see now and my dad said the only thing he wishes was shop that she did it earlier, and that's all that's in the back of my mind. I don't want to waste what precious life we have... Weight has already controlled pretty much all my teenage and adult life so far and it's getting worse and harder to cope with the longer I leave it ....

Deep down I must know xxx thanks gap again xxx

I originally had a gastric wrap performed in Czech...it didn't work out as I had hoped, so I spent the money for revision surgery....went alone to France - scarey???? Maybe a little, scarier was the fact that I could continue to pile on weight & lay in bed looking up every morning thinkin today is the day, then falling foul of wine, junk, vodka orange, takeaways etc by that afternoon or evening....I hated how disappointed I felt with myself for not taking control, now I commend myself...do I get it right everyday, prob not BUT I am in complete control xx

Back