• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!
hey all, im Nicola, im 25 years old, Im having my first appointment at chels and west on monday 5th and im worried about funding, ive waited so long to get to this point, I just dont want to get declined. I weigh 404lbs (28 stone and some change) and my BMI is over 60. Have any of you dealt with Chel&west hospital? Also no idea what surgery to go for sleeve or bypass? Ive read up on them but dont really understand the difference? I have a lot of weight to lose and from what i gather the sleeve is most effective??

Hello and welcome!

Chel and West means nothing to me in terms of hospitals?

Regarding which op, the team at the hospital will help you decide which is the best option for you.

The sleeve was originally the first stage to an eventual bypass for people with higher BMI's, (ie lose as much as possible with the sleeve then convert to bypass to lose the rest) but is now more commonly a stand alone procedure.

At my hospital, the bypass is only recommnded for the larger patients, I was told I'm too small for one - first time for everything!

Hi I wanted a band but my surgeon told me he would do a sleeve as my bmI was 55 and I weighed nearly 22st ...
It will be up to your surgeon they do know best lol
Good luck with whatever you have done I'm sure you will get lots of advice on here xxxxxx

Hello and welcome.
I decided on the sleeve primarily because I'm on medications for life and the sleeve doesn't work through malabsorption like the bypass does. The surgeon agreed with that rational. What I've found since is that the sleeve can cause problems with acid reflux but this wasn't information I had and I've had chronic acid reflux for years. I also have bowel problems and the surgeon and I both felt not tinkering with that side of things was the best plan.
You and your surgeon know your medical history best and hopefully they'll work with you to make the right choice :)

Thank you all so much for your replies, really helpful. Im worrying over nothing really just nervous about it all. I'll update after my app :)

Chel&west = Chelsea and westminster hospital

hey all, im Nicola, im 25 years old, Im having my first appointment at chels and west on monday 5th and im worried about funding, ive waited so long to get to this point, I just dont want to get declined. I weigh 404lbs (28 stone and some change) and my BMI is over 60. Have any of you dealt with Chel&west hospital? Also no idea what surgery to go for sleeve or bypass? Ive read up on them but dont really understand the difference? I have a lot of weight to lose and from what i gather the sleeve is most effective??
Hi Nicola

You have the same kind of starting weight as me. BMI was over 60 too. I was funded for a sleeve and also have funding available for a second operation after - I think they said that would be a bypass or duodenal switch 18months post op. Had forgotten about that until Mazza mentioned it then. Not sure if I'll have a second operation. Xx

Hi Nicola

You have the same kind of starting weight as me. BMI was over 60 too. I was funded for a sleeve and also have funding available for a second operation after - I think they said that would be a bypass or duodenal switch 18months post op. Had forgotten about that until Mazza mentioned it then. Not sure if I'll have a second operation. Xx

Hey , thanks for replying, why did the offer second op? Is the sleeve not viable long term? Also ive heard that skin removal is not an option on the NHS, is that true? Did you have issues with extra skin (if you dont mind me asking) ? Its a worry but not a big worry of mine, if its really bad i'll save up for it myself. I know i'll need a boob job though as my boobs are 48 M, I have to order specially made bras from poland. When i've lost weight in the past they go completely empty, so i know thats something to save for if the NHS wont help. Nic x

Hey , thanks for replying, why did the offer second op? Is the sleeve not viable long term? Also ive heard that skin removal is not an option on the NHS, is that true? Did you have issues with extra skin (if you dont mind me asking) ? Its a worry but not a big worry of mine, if its really bad i'll save up for it myself. I know i'll need a boob job though as my boobs are 48 M, I have to order specially made bras from poland. When i've lost weight in the past they go completely empty, so i know thats something to save for if the NHS wont help. Nic x
Because I wanted the bypass to begin with and I had to lose 17-19 stone for a normal BMI and they didn't see that possible for a sleeve. It is possible however. I've lost just under ten stone and at the moment have no loose skin. Yes my boobs have shrunk a lot lol but still in 40DD now but they look a lot better I feel now. You're also around my age too (I'm 24) so the loose skin thing may vary xx

Because I wanted the bypass to begin with and I had to lose 17-19 stone for a normal BMI and they didn't see that possible for a sleeve. It is possible however. I've lost just under ten stone and at the moment have no loose skin. Yes my boobs have shrunk a lot lol but still in 40DD now but they look a lot better I feel now. You're also around my age too (I'm 24) so the loose skin thing may vary xx
Greaat! Thanks for all the info, close in start weight and age so that really gives me hope xx

At 54 and 5st down I 'm actually not worried by loose skin ..
My belly is hanging like a sad dogs tail , but I havnt lost my cup size but have lost the back size ( hehehe backside )
Anyway , if I end up with loose skin I just buy spandex , .. You can disguise loose skin and it's a whole lot better than hauling 25st about , being weight disabled and maybe dying an early weight related death ..
Loose skin is a very small thing in the whole scheme of it really .

Last edited:
At 54 and 5st down I 'm actually not worried by loose skin ..
My belly is hanging like a sad dogs tail , but I havnt lost my cup size but have the back size ( hehehe backside )
Anyway , if I end up with loose skin I just buy spandex , .. You can disguise loose skin and it's a whole lot better than hauling 25st about , being weight disabled and maybe dying an early weight related death ..
Loose skin is a very small thing in the whole scheme of it really .
YES! totally. I wear high wasted stuff anyway and spanx and tights really help, i know for some women the lose skin is a big issue, i just want the weight gone!!! The thought of not being weight disabled could actually make me cry, having my freedom again and doing fun things with friends and not constantly worrying if i am going to break any given chair whenever im out at dinner/drinks/cinema (the cinema thing happened and was the most embarassing thing ever)

Nicole .. Your taking the most sensible step while your still so young ..
When I was heading for 20st in my late 20s I thought I could cope forever with being morbidly obese , we all think we are invincible don't we ..
In my 30s I lost 5st and got down to about 15st approx , looked pretty good and because Im tall , I was described as buxom .. I had a second teenagehood and went out every Saturday night dancing and just generally having a ball ..
Then my knee began hurting and the good times stopped .. All due to my early years of being so heavy .. No point papering over the truth , I wore my body out by putting so much weight on it ..
So after that , the weight piled on and I swiftly became 25st .. Dieted on and off but the scales always returned to 25 st plus a few pounds ..
My knee is now totally shot .. I've been using a mobility scooter now for about 5 years I guess because I cannot walk far and I cannot stand on it to long . I need a replacement knee but cannot have one until I get down to about 16st but the NHS would not help me so had to fund privately
Losing all that weight would have been impossible without weight loss surgery and I praise the day I had it done ..
I truly hope you get the help you need as soon as possible while your still young enough not to have injured yourself long term ..
We will be here to answer all the questions you have .. After all we are the people who know and have walked the path you are on and are on the other side ..
Mindy
Xxxx

Nicole .. Your taking the most sensible step while your still so young ..
When I was heading for 20st in my late 20s I thought I could cope forever with being morbidly obese , we all think we are invincible don't we ..
In my 30s I lost 5st and got down to about 15st approx , looked pretty good and because Im tall , I was described as buxom .. I had a second teenagehood and went out every Saturday night dancing and just generally having a ball ..
Then my knee began hurting and the good times stopped .. All due to my early years of being so heavy .. No point papering over the truth , I wore my body out by putting so much weight on it ..
So after that , the weight piled on and I swiftly became 25st .. Dieted on and off but the scales always returned to 25 st plus a few pounds ..
My knee is now totally shot .. I've been using a mobility scooter now for about 5 years I guess because I cannot walk far and I cannot stand on it to long . I need a replacement knee but cannot have one until I get down to about 16st but the NHS would not help me so had to fund privately
Losing all that weight would have been impossible without weight loss surgery and I praise the day I had it done ..
I truly hope you get the help you need as soon as possible while your still young enough not to have injured yourself long term ..
We will be here to answer all the questions you have .. After all we are the people who know and have walked the path you are on and are on the other side ..
Mindy
Xxxx
Thanks for those words of encouragement, in the recent months i've become more and more aware of how my weight is affecting me physically and i cant deny it anymore.
I have been to plus size events such as curvy convention/big girl paradise/ plus size awards thats displays women of my size as goddesses and plus size fashionistas and for a while i think yay its ok to be fat because we can buy cool clothes now, all the plus size models inc. tess holliday and others in the body positive movement and for a while its like ok , but in reality the pain im in and the mean things people say to me on the street are not worth being in this cool plus size club the internet has tried to portray. I feel like im a contradiction because i do believe in live and let live but i have to say encouraging and celebrating morbid obesity isnt body positive AND this is coming from someone who is 28 st lool

I felt some of that conflict because I really do think everyone should be free to be the size they want to be and people can be big and fabulous absolutely. I didn't have a problem with the way I looked at my biggest, neither did my husband or friends and I felt I was somehow betraying my own ideals by having surgery. Thing is though, like you, I'm doing it for health reasons. My weight hasn't caused most of my issues, many I was born with but it certainly wasn't helping and in the end the determination to take back some control of my health and most importantly to give myself the best shot of seeing 40.
Body positively is for every size and it's an individual choice to find the size of body that feels best to you. :)

Nicola you are absolutely right , whilst all shapes and sizes should be happy health and quality of life is most important. I like you have attend all the events etc even got into modelling for a big brand but the pain of walking my weight on my knees , not being able to climb a flight of stairs wondering if I'll fit in the seats when I go out ,the stares people give you when you know they're whispering about your size doesn't feel nice taking this step is one of the biggest decisions we will ever make but in the grand scheme of things be it surgery or other routes our health comes first. Well done to you for taking it its very scary as it gets more real but the guys on this forum are so honest and real and I'm sure we'll be on the losers bench soon :):):):)

Nicola you are absolutely right , whilst all shapes and sizes should be happy health and quality of life is most important. I like you have attend all the events etc even got into modelling for a big brand but the pain of walking my weight on my knees , not being able to climb a flight of stairs wondering if I'll fit in the seats when I go out ,the stares people give you when you know they're whispering about your size doesn't feel nice taking this step is one of the biggest decisions we will ever make but in the grand scheme of things be it surgery or other routes our health comes first. Well done to you for taking it its very scary as it gets more real but the guys on this forum are so honest and real and I'm sure we'll be on the losers bench soon :):):):)
YAY its so nice to speak to someone with such a similar weight and who also has gone to the events!!! I had my first hospital app today, it was so informative and reassuring, they've said i should have it all sorted in 6-8 months bcoz my BMI is so high, i had bloods, met my dietician and psych, dont think psych as too keen on me but we'll see. I have been 'fastracked' as im huge so im happy about that and wont lose a pound bcoz i dont want to wait anymore!!!! Where are you on your journey?

I felt some of that conflict because I really do think everyone should be free to be the size they want to be and people can be big and fabulous absolutely. I didn't have a problem with the way I looked at my biggest, neither did my husband or friends and I felt I was somehow betraying my own ideals by having surgery. Thing is though, like you, I'm doing it for health reasons. My weight hasn't caused most of my issues, many I was born with but it certainly wasn't helping and in the end the determination to take back some control of my health and most importantly to give myself the best shot of seeing 40.
Body positively is for every size and it's an individual choice to find the size of body that feels best to you. :)
heyyy, :) Are you happy with your sleeve results?? What made you go for that and not bypass? Im still struggling to decide. Totally, health is most important and i feel like im actually dying, so heavy and in pain, can barely wipe my own bum loool tmi

I'm very happy with my sleeve :) despite having long term acid reflux I chose it for 3 reasons. One I'm on a lot of medication for life and the bypass works partly through malabsorption that could potentially cause problems for me. Secondly I have long standing bowel issues and had to have an operation shortly before the sleeve. Because of the rerooting done in the bypass I felt the sleeve was a better option. Finally with the sleeve they remove the stomach they cut away. I was uncomfortable with the idea of being left with a 'blind' stomach that could still become diseased and they'd have to open me up to investigate.
That's just my decision making process. The surgeon agreed with my rational but if he'd had reasons to recommend the bypass I would have considered it seriously. It was only after I found out they often don't recommend the sleeve if you have acid which confused me a bit but the acid is controlled with medication so I'd still have made the same choice :)

Back