• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hi all

walnutwhip

Hi i would like to introduce myself, i am rachel and have been battling with my weight for the last 12 years it has been a long road to get my gp to refer me for wls!!! but after seeing a very nice young new gp last summer he agreed to refer me and then came an appointment with a doctor at the hospital who i have seen several times and then sent to the dietician. I changed my eating and managed to loose a few punds but finding it very hard due to the fact i have medical conditions that prove hard to loose weight. Yesterday i had an appointment with the surgeon and he explained all the different procedures and asked which i wanted, i opted for the bypass, he did other assessments and said i dont need a pshyc or sleep assessment and that i needed to be checked for a bug that lives in the stomache and i needed to see the dietician and we were good to go!!!! they will be discussing my case next thursday and if they all agree i will be put on the list, and he added that it will be very quick as the waiting list is very short!! how happy am i? i saw the dietician and we discussed changing eating habits now and she asked me if i was aware what was involved after the op i gave her the answers she wanted and said ok i will see you in 7 weeks and we will go in to detail about the pre op diet and what you need to do post op, so looks like i can now relax and wait for my op date to come through i am getting sooooo excited at the thought of this as i didnt even know that funding had been approved for my wls. hoping to get my op done before xmas does anyone think that it will happen that quick?

:welcome2: Walnutwhip,

You've come to the right place lot's of freindly advice and opinions on here.
As you will see from many of the posts on here time from seeing the surgeon to admission varies greatly some have waited 2 years, I was 1 year and others a have been done in a few months. I used to phone up admissions with my hospital number hoping it would give me some idea but even that wasn't that accurate.

The bug you surgeon wants to check for is probably a thing called H. Pylori it lives in the stomach and apparently 40% of the population have it and never know. Thay did my test at the same time as my surgery and the treatment for it is a course of antibiotics and antacids in my case for 2 weeks. If you suffer from heartburn or acid reflux then this could be the cause, so it's not anything to worry about.
Good luck with everything and let's hope you are one of the shorter waits :)

Hi Rachel & a very warm welcome :) You have come to the right place for information & support. It has been invaluable to me in the run up to my op which was only on Monday 3/10. Brian has comprehensively answered your question re stomach bug & hope this puts your mind at ease. If you give us more information as to where you live & which PCT you are under, there will be probably be some people who live near you & can relate their experience re timetable etc. I am very glad you are now on the road to a new, slimmer you ... good luck, hunni xx :)

hi Brian, yes that is what he is checking for, but he want to know before surgery as i am allergic to the best antibiotics they can use and it could take up to 3 months to get rid of it with other meds!!!! im hoping im gonna be lucky lol i dont suffer with acis, heartburn or ulcers so keeping my fingers crossed. i havent had any letter informing me that i have been awarded funding does this usually happen, i just presumed that as the surgeon said we are good to go that the funding has been approved??? thinking about it i dont think that i will be getting in for the op before xmas as my next dietician app is first week in december and then i will have 3 weeks on the pre op diet so its looking to be more like after the new year. but im not bothered either way at least i have finally got the wls i have been waiting for. and cant wait to meet the new me lol i know that i have a long way to go before i get there but i am so excited about this

thanks twinkle!!!! i am so glad i joined on here i feel like there is no one else i can talk to or ask but im here now!!! i live in bradford but have been refered to mr white at dewsbury hospital

welcome.jpg

My GP referred me to the surgeon, i went and saw her signed a consent form there and then and apart from a sleep apnoea test and lung function test I never heard another thing until my letter a year later telling me to come in!
As you will see on here everybody's PCT operates differently and funding can depend upon how high your BMI is with my PCT (Croydon) if you have a BMI of >50 surgery was suggested as the first option. Your PCT may well be different.

Good luck, walnut whip! There is loads of support on here ... and we are all somewhere on the healthy weight journey ... she says as she eats the fifth rich tea in ten minutes!!! :eek:

I know I have funding for a gastric bypass with Mr Kumar at Heartlands in Birmingham, however I have no idea how long I am going to have to wait! I keep telling myself that I am usually moaning that time goes so fast ... now I am wishing my life away!!! Well, the fat life anyway!!! :)

It'll come soon enough, for both of us, I am sure!!! :)

xxx

Good luck, walnut whip! There is loads of support on here ... and we are all somewhere on the healthy weight journey ... she says as she eats the fifth rich tea in ten minutes!!! :eek:

I know I have funding for a gastric bypass with Mr Kumar at Heartlands in Birmingham, however I have no idea how long I am going to have to wait! I keep telling myself that I am usually moaning that time goes so fast ... now I am wishing my life away!!! Well, the fat life anyway!!! :)

It'll come soon enough, for both of us, I am sure!!! :)

xxx

LOL, Kim ... it could be worse, it could have been your 5th chocolate Hobnob xxx :D:D

Denise, I hope that feeling stays with you forever ... hope you're feeling well??? Go on you can share the gory details ... it won't put me off!!! Honest!!! xx

Really Brian? Do you still fancy chocolate? I feel slightly repulsed by the thought but only 5 days out so too early to say if this will stay with me ... rather hope it does, lol xxx :)

to be honest I've never been a chocolate lover but having drunk nothing but milk and soup for the last 4 weeks nearly a choccy hobnob sounds like a meal at the Ritz!

Denise, I hope that feeling stays with you forever ... hope you're feeling well??? Go on you can share the gory details ... it won't put me off!!! Honest!!! xx

Not too much goriness to relate really, Kim ... been very lucky :):) I did tell all in another post but as I say, I have been exceptionally lucky xxx :)

to be honest I've never been a chocolate lover but having drunk nothing but milk and soup for the last 4 weeks nearly a choccy hobnob sounds like a meal at the Ritz!

Not long before the next stage ... It will all be worth it, honey xxx :):)

Hi Walnutwhip ((( love the name ))

I live in Essex and come under WEST ESSEX PCT.

I got turned down for funding in January this year as i hadn't been to a weight management class for 6 months.
I chose to see a dietician as opposed to WW or SW as i preferred it on a 1-2-1 basis.
I'm nearly finished the six months and then i can apply again for funding....so hopefully i'll get mine next time round.

Glad you got your funding secured and that you can now go on and enjoy being healthy.

Keep us informed of how thing's are going

Take Care

Andy

thanks for all the welcomes and the advice, i just dont know what to expect as i thought i would have to wait around forever, my friend who is in the same pct had around a 4 year wait and then had her op. I just want to get things moving before the surgeon decides i cant have the wls lol. I have gone through so much trying to shift the weight i have gained but it is not so easy when i have health problems that prevent this. The dietician asked me lots of random questions yesterday like do you know what will happen after the op? and what do you understand about your body image after surgery? i just told her that i know all about having the excess loose skin and that i have to work with the bypass to get maximum results from it, whats the point having it done if all i do afterwards is stuff myself with bad foods!!!! she said ok you seem to have done plenty of reasearch and you know what will happen, but can you tell me the reason for wanting the wls? my answer: to get healthier and improve my health hopefully getiing rid of the other health probs i have atm and to improve my life with my daughter i would love to be able to take her swimming without people staring (probably thinking here comes the whale lol) and the other reason is of course to get thinner lol she said that alone was not a good enough reason for wls but my first answer was the correct one so she thinks im all set for it!!!! so im just keeping my fingers crossed for the meeting next thursday and hoping i get the answer i want, as the waiting list isnt too long im hoping to get my pre op assessment pretty quick, does anyone know if this will happen before or after seeing the dietician regarding the pre op diet?

thanks twinkle!!!! i am so glad i joined on here i feel like there is no one else i can talk to or ask but im here now!!! i live in bradford but have been refered to mr white at dewsbury hospital

Hi Walnutwhip. I had my surgery at Dewsbury under Mr Fawole on the 26th of September, but it was between Mr White and Mr Fawole. I actually work for the surgeons there and can't praise them enough for what they have done for me. Hope you get your date before Christmas.

Welcome to the site, everyone is very friendly and informative and can help with any questions that you may have. Just ask away. :D

hi Neetathanks for the reply, i am quite confused by it all actually!!!!! i have been seeing a consultant ~(dr raj) at pinderfields and seen the dietician in feb 2011, then i had an appointment at ddh yesterday with mr white and he said i was good to go, i saw the dietician and had some bloods taken as well while i was there, the dietician said she will see me the first week in december to discuss the pre op and post op diet, mr white said a decision will be made on my surgery next thursday the 13th oct, however this morning i got a letter that is an appointment to see dr raj again on 1st nov?? what is all the different doctors appointments for? how will i know if i have been successful and put on the list after next thursday? and what was the pre op diet you had to do? i have heard of so many different things and dont know which one will be used, also do the surgons at ddh do the cosmetic aftercare? my friend had her bypass done under mr white and she is on the waiting list for a tummy tuck and boob job, i know i am thinking a long time ahead but i want to be prepared and i forgot to ask this question yesterday. what is the general waiting list time at this hospital? im hoping i will be in quickly as mr white said it is not very long and will be over before i know it. I must say that all of the team that i have met so far have been fantastic and i have nothing but praise for them, except the blood collector yesterday who hurt me like hell and needles do not bother me in the slightest lol. Do you think it will more than likely be in the new year that i get my date? how will i find out about when it is 'my turn' for the op will i have an appointment with the surgon or will i get a letter.
sorry about all the questions it is just that i have so many things i did not think about yesterday and i need to know

Walnutwhip, I have sent you a private message with my mobile number on so that you can give me a ring if you want to tomorrow as I am just going in the bath now.

Look forward to speaking to you and hopefully I can answer some of your questions. xx

Back