• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi All

Hoping

I booked an appointment with my doctor, then he cancelled and I have to rebook it, so 4 weeks later I finally had my doctors appointment.

He can not refer me for NHS WLS as my BMI is only 39.8 but he has refered me for me to have it done privately. So now I have to wait till next week for the letter and then hopefully I can get the ball rolling. They Private surgeon might still say no :)cry:) but I am hopeful.

Has anyone else paid for their op privately??
How quickly did it go through??

I am so scared, scared that they'll say no, scared that they'll say yes

Hi, I paid privately, I rang mid may to the hospital group for and appointment, had my appointment 31st may and my op the 12th June :) as fast as that! I went for the band and am nine days post op and doing fine. The first few days are hard so make sure you have support and this site is fantastic, the support I got was great at putting my mind at rest about things. Good luck with your journey!

If you are going to pay privately you dont need a referral from your GP. There are many groups you can go through and you can also research your surgeon before deciding where and when you want your surgery. have a look at the BOSPA website for more information

Good luck

Kim

I didn't even speak to my gp, I had asked lots of times before but unless I could attend weekly sessions at their weight loss group I couldn't be referred, I work away so that wasn't a possibility. I had the tests done by thg to check I was healthy enough and after the op they gave me a letter to give to my gp. Wonder what they will say to me only next appointment :-/ but it was my decision and I couldn't waste any more years waiting for a change. So glad I did it. Ow and maybe my thirties will be better than my twenties!

Thank you both for your replies.

I was sent to a dietician, which was a joke I ended telling her things. I said to my doctor I have been on a diet since I was 12 (20 years) I know what I am supposed to be doing but I am so hungry, asked him for appetite supressants apparently doctors can not give you them anymore.

Lolalou - can I ask where you got your surgery done? maybe I can see if they have any places local to me xx

Hi, there's lots of people on here who have had their ops privately, some in the UK and some in the Czech republic, everyone seems to be very satisfied with their results.
Lots and lots of luck on your WLS journey.
Em xxxxx

Hi I'm just back 2 day from Brussels I had a gastric sleeve through wlsgroup and everything went well I even went on my own did feel like an old woman lol my bmi is 37 although according to the wii it's 34.7 lol x

I booked my op 5 weeks ago and had a lot of last supers xx

You went on your own, your braver than me xx
Thank you for all your replies xx
I will keep you all updated with any progress.
Gonna have a look on net over the weekend xx

I was banded privately. My op was 13 days after consultation...they won't say no they're a business!!! as for gp referral, they wrote to my gp however he'd not even replied by the time I had the op, it really is irrelevant.....go for it it's fab!!!! X

As jo said, if you go privately they are unlikely to reject you (unless when you fill in your medical questionnaire they have concerns about operating on you). I didn't even speak to my doctor, just did the research myself and once my head was in the right place, threw myself into it! Not looked back since. No regrets ... I love my band :bananalove: good luck :)

Like one of the other posters here, I simply contacted The Hospital Group and made an appointment. One month later I had my procedure (my choice to do it so soon). No GP involvement. I am lucky in that I don't have any other medical conditions so could just proceed but the application process can involve your provider getting more info from your GP if needs be.

I booked an appointment with my doctor, then he cancelled and I have to rebook it, so 4 weeks later I finally had my doctors appointment.

He can not refer me for NHS WLS as my BMI is only 39.8 but he has refered me for me to have it done privately. So now I have to wait till next week for the letter and then hopefully I can get the ball rolling. They Private surgeon might still say no :)cry:) but I am hopeful.

Has anyone else paid for their op privately??
How quickly did it go through??

I am so scared, scared that they'll say no, scared that they'll say yes
Hi i had my op in Prague on 11th june, i did not tell my GP. i booked it all on line 2 weeks prior to going. I have had a Gastric Wrap, my BMI was 35 amd i have lost 13 pounds since my op.
This site has been wonderful and the support and advice is second to none. just do a lot of research etc before you go xx Good Luck hun

Not waiting for my gp referral now, got an appointment with a consultant at Harley Street TOMORROW OMG cant believe Ive taken the first step. Havent told my mum and dad yet (they have offered to pay) but will after I know the prices and know what procedure I can have

Private Surgeon said although I am within the BMI scale for any surgery I want, he said NO as I need Cognative Behavioural Therapy as I a mental problem with food

My doctor is making me do 6months with nutritionist b4 referal. Gutted as my bmi is only 41.5 so if i lose a stone with nutritionist il go below 40 and will not be referred. I cannot see the point as it just makes me wanna stay the same weight ir the 6months to still get referal. Just spoke to my sis in law whos bmi is 50. He doc has told her he cant refer her cos she isnt fat enough. Lies!!! I wa watching my doctors screen when he checked weight for nhs referal and it said 40. Her doc is obviously old school and think diet and exercise is easy for us fatties ;)

Back