• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hi all

neeta i cant find the message!!!! i am also unable to view certain things as i am very new to the site :-((

neeta i cant find the message!!!! i am also unable to view certain things as i am very new to the site :-((

That's a shame, would have been so much better to chat on the phone.

I originally spoke to Mr Fawole to see if he would see me privately as I didn't think that I would qualify for the operation on the NHS. He told me to get a referral from my GP and that is how my journey began.

I then say Dr Raj who is a Endocrinologist and is the first point of contact on the weight loss program at DDH. He then discusses with you why you want to have surgery and whether there is anything else that they can do to help. At this point I had to see the psychologist. My case went to the MDT (Held on Thursday afternoons) and at first I was turned down. I then went back to see Dr Raj who did more tests and found that not only was I asthmatic - which I knew about before plus the family history of heart disease, but I also had high blood pressure and was borderline diabetic. My case was then discussed again at the MDT and they said yes - funding was then applied for and was granted. Prior to all this though, I had to attend a 12 weeks weight management course where I had to prove that I was determind to loose weight and lost over a stone in 12 weeks, which was over the Christmas period. I saw Mr White who discussed all the surgical options with me, but I had done lots of research before hand and knew what I wanted. The bypass was the only one that would guarentee the cure of diabetes within a short time. He said that he could see that I knew what I was talking about and put me forward for surgery and this is the point at which my funding was requested. It took a few weeks to come through but when it did I told Mr Fawole that my funding had been granted and he filled out the waiting list form there and then while I was in his office (I work for the surgeons at DDH) and then I was off to pre op where they take bloods, blood pressure and MRSA swabs. Then came the appointment with the dietician and I was given the milk diet. This is followed for three weeks prior to your surgery and the waiting list office will tell you when you have your surgery date and so you can start the diet three weeks prior to this. The diet consists of 2 - 3 pints of Skimmed/Semi Skimmed milk per day. 2 portions of fruit. 3 portions of veg (but no root veg) 1 sugar free jelly and 2 low fat yogs in addition to unlimited water, diet drinks, and no added sugar cordial.

Hope this helps. If there is anything that I have missed please let me know and I will do my best to give you all the information that I can. xx :D

ive had loads of appointments with dr raj so far, and seen the dietician and mr white, last time i saw dr raj he said he was getting my gp to apply for the funding, i have decided on the bypass and mr white said he thinks im ready to go, i have high bp, underactive thyroid, high cholestorol and also polycystic ovaries!!! so as you can see its not easy for me to loose the weight, even though i have tried so so hard for the last 4 years and i always put back on what i loose and more besides!! the dietician said she is going to discuss the pre op diet with me in 7 weeks at the next appointment so it is looking like i already have the funding?? i have done loads of research and know what i wanted before i had my appointment, i dont need to have a psych appointment as mr white thinks im ok without it, and he said i dont need the sleep study either. how will i find out if the mdt have put me forward will they inform me by letter? and is it then just a waiting game for the date of the op or will i have to have plenty more appointments? i have heard that people have to have an endoscopy before the op is this something i will have to have as i really dont like the idea of this, anything else im ok with and have got myself ready to begin the road to a new me

Hi. I too have polycystic ovary disease and had my left ovary taken out a couple of years ago, and since had septated cysts on my right ovary, so know where you are coming from with the weight loss problems. I seem to have been on a diet constantly all my life and it hasn't been easy for any of us on here, and that is why we have all taken this route. :( We are all in this together. :)

I didn't have an endoscopy - I think this is only if you have had stomach problems such as ulcers in the past etc - everyone is different.

I found out about my funding whilst covering for Mr White's secretary whilst she was on holiday - I actually opened the letter that was confirming my funding - what are the chances of that happening :D, but I am sure that in your case, you will be written to to inform you of this. You could always telephone her to ask, but my funding took over 12 weeks to come through - hope this gives you some sort of time frame to work to.

I remember one other question that you asked last night about the Cosmetic Surgery side of things, but the surgeons at Dewsbury do not do this kind of work, they are General Surgeons and some of the deal with Colorectal, Breast (cancers etc) and of course Bariatric Surgery but not plastic surgery. This is done at Pinderfields.

If and when you require this sort of surgery, again funding has to be applied for and Dr Raj will then refer you to the Plastic Surgeons.

Once you have had your follow up appointment following your Bariatric Surgery with the Surgeon who carried out your operation, you will be passed back to the care of Dr Raj.

Don't forget that once you have funding in place you will require a pre-op assessment for bloods, ECG, etc and then your name will go on the waiting list.

Hope this has helped a little bit more. :)

Neeta x

Hi Neeta sorry i didnt get a chance to reply for all the reading i have been doing!!!! yes the info was good and i have loads more questions ticked off my list, i have started writing them down now so i wont forget to ask them next time!! where is the wls group meeting? i think i could be very interested, as i am new to all this i am not sure what to expect and it is all becoming addictive and i really should be doing my ironing right now lol but this somehow has taken over

Hiya. The WLS Group Meeting is on the 12th of October (this Wednesday) 6pm start to 8pm and is held at DDH in the Oakwell Centre which is situated behind the Bronte Towers. I think that I will be driving by then and it is only 10 mins away from home for me. Let me know if you are going and we could probably meet outside and go in together so you don't feel alone. :D

as people have previously said every area differs. Iv been extreamly lucky it will b 4 mth from first seeing gp to haveing bypass! A little worried as iv had no tests only seen a dietician. Got op on 11/11/11 and will have pre assesment first so may do tests then! Good luck xx

good luck for the 11th amg, hope all goes well for you. i just wanted to find out what was the normal time scale in my area and how the surgeon works, although they are a fantastic set of people and i have nothing but praise for them, well except one that i have only seen once and she was quite rude to me regarding the amount of exercise i was doing, when i told her i have a walk everyday between 30 and 60 mins she replied that is no where near enough, you need to get to the gym as well and also do some swimming!!! that is easy enough to say but as i am a single mum that works full time and has no family living near me it is a bit difficult. i would love to go to the gym but wont be able to go it alone just yet and swimming, no thanks dont want people staring when im in a costume its bad enough when ive got my clothes on, so i opted to up the walking and do about 1 and half hours brisk walking everyday but the weight is staying put and moving at a snails pace xxx

Back