• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi Anyone have underactive thyroid and had surgery ?

Alice345

Hello
I’m going to be getting surgery privately I have BMI of 38.5 I also have underactive thyroid.
I genuinely struggle to lose weight and my metabolism is slow, if I’m not being very good I gain. I want to end cycle of losing and gaining and be healthy.
I just don’t know which surgery to have , the surgeons say have a sleeve for but wanted to hear others experiences with surgery ?
Thanks so much
X

Last edited:

Sarnie

Hi, sorry can't help you, as I've not got inactive thyroid. 38.5 does seem a low BMI to be having surgery, the NHS won't do WLS below 40 bmi, I don't know why private they do unless it's all about the money. I've known people have a lower BMI and have WLS and then loose too much weight, so you do need to research and consider that side of it. I know you might think losing too much weight sounds great, but believe me it's not. The only thing you can do is do lots and lots of research about all the WLS options pros and cons an make a decision for yourself. There is already lots of people experiences on here if you do a search. Some can't be viewed until you've made 100 comments on here. But they're are plenty more that can be viewed. X

Bling Babe

Hello
I’m going to be getting surgery privately I have BMI of 38.5 I also have underactive thyroid.
I genuinely struggle to lose weight and my metabolism is slow, if I’m not being very good I gain. I want to end cycle of losing and gaining and be healthy.
I just don’t know which surgery to have , the surgeons say have a sleeve for but wanted to hear others experiences with surgery ?
Thanks so much
X
I absolutely agree with @Sarnie and it’s far from easy, my BMI was 37 but I had diabetes, you have to have Co-morbidities to have surgery on nhs below 40 BMI but that’s why I had it x

Lalapo

I had the sleeve my BMI was 52 and I have CFS / ME plus comorbidities. I will say do tr research too. IMO a bypass changes body processing functionality. A sleeve reduces your tummy size nothing else or you may opt for a band or Even temporary balloon. Weigh out all pros cons and get a second opinion.