• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello.. Had first appt so on the path

Georgie163

Hello!

Found this forum as I feel like really I'm going to need support and first hand knowledge as I embark on the road to a gastric bypass. And love reading all your inspiring stories!!

My names Georgie, I'm 40 and in dire need of this surgery, this really is last chance saloon for me. I've done every diet you can mention, the most successful being lighter life where I lost 5 stone. I felt amazing, attractive and most importantly fit and active. But the whole time I never felt comfortable, it's hard to explain but I still felt obese and struggled hard to keep my weight in check, like it was going to just creep on and I would be huge again. And that's exactly what happened and more. My thyroid became difficult to manage and became excessively low again, I was lethargic, depressed and for the last two years uncomfortable in my body and hating myself for it. I also felt like everybody spoke about me, and cut off contact with all my friends as didn't want people to see how I look.

My GP hasn't been of huge help, just giving me antidepressants and suggesting counselling to help with my body image like that was ever going to help. Instead I have decided to go down the surgery route and I had my first appointment with Mr El-Hasani and I feel buoyant about the outcome. He's so matter of fact and told me that I would always struggle, my thyroid would always be a problem (after having radioactive iodine) and that a gastric bypass would give me the life long help to control my weight and would help increase my metabolism. I feel like this is a wake up call to improve my life and a chance to be fit again and has given me so much encouragement.

So next I have an appt with the bariatric nurse early Feb. I'm hoping to be able to book my surgery date in at this appointment as I wasn't allowed to on this first appointment (something to do with NICE guidelines). I'm hoping for sometime in March.

My concern at the moment is mortality rates as I have read such different things online but hoping I can find out Mr El-Hasani's stats on next appointment.

I won't bore you all with anymore details, looking forward to finding out lots more about the procedure and reading your stories

Georgie ?

hi welcome and good luck

Good luck! I am just starting this jurney too, so understand you! Hope you will findout the date soon!

Thank you ladies and good luck to both of you. I can't wait to get my date. I just want to be on the way to losing this weight so desperately. I'm sure I felt like this all my life, when the consultant asked me what my weight was like as a child it took me back to being a kid and being desperate for a cabbage patch doll for my 10th birthday. Instead I got a scientific calculator and my first scales.. This was probably the first time I ever realised I had a weight problem because it was now a problem for my family. Never got the blinking doll either. Woe is me!

Good luck George. I'm new also. Booked in for my sleeve on 4th Feb. Good luck to all of you and I look forward to hearing all your updates :)

That's so fabulous, the 4th will be here in no time at all and you'll be a month or so ahead of me which will be like a 4week into the future crystal ball of post-opness :)) good luck to you too!

Hi

Nice to meet you and good luck on your journey.

Thank you ladies and Clare-sleeve I will be looking very forward to seeing how you're going in that case! Lincs-lass, was checking out your pics in the inspirational thread last night (mix of insomnia and research excitement now but having problems sleeping so before & afters are my new found hobby!) anyway you look amazing and have achieved so so much. You and your family must be proud! I cannot wait to see where everyone starting now will be in a years time :) xx

Thank you ladies and Clare-sleeve I will be looking very forward to seeing how you're going in that case! Lincs-lass, was checking out your pics in the inspirational thread last night (mix of insomnia and research excitement now but having problems sleeping so before & afters are my new found hobby!) anyway you look amazing and have achieved so so much. You and your family must be proud! I cannot wait to see where everyone starting now will be in a years time :) xx

Georgie163, i am totally the same about not being able to sleep and reading this forum, researching the internet all night long! It is trully nice to know i am not the only one like that in this world :)

It's such a killer having to get up early and then I totally flunk mid afternoon. Probably why I always walk into things (although generally put that one down to my size unfortunately!)

Hi Georgie :) good luck with everything and I hope you manage to stay as positive as you are right now the whole way through xx

Back