• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newbie from Doncaster .

lesleyh321

hi everyone, I'm Lesley, 48 years old with a bmi of 47 and high blood pressure, like most of you I have dieted on and off for years, tried various " wonder" pills,teas,patches etc and orlistat/xenical from my gp all with very little success. my gp referred me to DRI on 22 july for wls. is there anyone else from the Doncaster area who has been/is waiting for wls who could tell me what to expect? ie how long before I hear anything etc. any advice would be appreciated.:)

Hi Lesley!

Welcome!

I'm next door to you in Sheffield! I also had a BMI of 47.

I just had a gastric sleeve & the whole process took 18 months...but that is Sheffield & every provider is different. I guess the first meeting will be to talk you through the process & discuss your options. Do lots of research & decide what is best for you. You'll find lots of support & info here :)

Hello lesley!

thanks for the info Amanda, yeah Sheffield's pretty close so it might be similar. how long after your gp referred you to getting a reply?

thanks for the info Amanda, yeah Sheffield's pretty close so it might be similar. how long after your gp referred you to getting a reply?

Sheffield have a system where they refer you to a support group called weigh ahead. I was then offered an introductory group session with them to see if I wanted to sign up as it was quite a commitment to attend sessions & if you drop out you can't get another chance to get referrred back. I don't think it took long to get that initial appointment - cause I remember seeing my GP in Nov/Dec & started with weigh ahead in January. Good luck. I'm sure once you've had that first meeting you'll understand a lot more about the process. My friend in London was 4 months from referral to surgery, so there are big differences!

Hi im a newbie too but have to attend Derby.
I was referred on april 20th and i have my first 'Teaching' session on August 7th.
I don't really know what will come next ,i guess this is the start of the 3 tier .
I have just finished a course my G.P sent me to with the community Health trainer and he also sent me to see a Dietician at Boston Hospital.
At least it is the start and although nervous i am also excited.
Good luck with your journey Lesley and hope you hear very soon.

Back