• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie in Leyland

100nettie

Hi, my name is Annette (I am sister to Jaxx) and am 43 years old. She gave me the details of this site to see if I can get any help or information.

I have been fighting with weight issues since I was 5 years old. When I was 18, I finally went on a diet and managed to get down to 9stone. Unfortunately, I ended up with a stomach ulcer as a result (too much grapefruit!).

Since then I have fought on, always trying to eat properly and do the right thing. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for my troubles.

So I now have at least one co-morbidity. I weight 19 stone, also have asthma, gastric problems, pain problems, depression, anxiety, ibs and anaemia. I thought this would be enough for me to ask if I could have a gastric band. Haha, how stupid of me.

I originally asked my diabetes doctor if I could possibly be referred for the surgery. He said I met all the criteria except one; I needed to do a three month weight loss programme at the surgery. So I went and did this, and managed to lose the earthshattering amount of half a kilo. I went back to the doctor, who has since said everything has changed, and that they need to "document" everything I am doing to lose weight - I thought that this was what I was doing over the last three months? Anyway, he says I now have to go on "obesity treatment" in the form of Orlistat - which I have tried, but triggered my ibs to such an extent that I had to stop taking it.

So where do I go from here? I am in such a depression at the moment, due to stress from work, and all this is making it worse. Do I go through this treatment again, even though it will make me extremely miserable?

I'm sorry that this is such a long post for a newbie!:sigh:

Hi Annette and welcome,

You will find all the support you need here, and we all understand what its like to struggle with obesity.

I'm sorry, I have no knowledge of the referral process in your area, but for most people their GP refers them. Check out www.bospa.org.uk for details of the referral criteria that will apply to you.

Good luck hun, and look forward to following your journey x

Welcome to the best, and friendliest wls site ever hun:D:D

Hello and welcome aboard.
All I can say is jump through those hoops the Dr sets because it puts you on the path to surgery. It is easy for me to say as I am on the otherside now, but I did what i was told with gritted teeth and a huff and a puff but it paid off.
GOOD LUCK X
Shells
x
PS. Love Leyland, have aunt uncle and cousin there.

Hello and welcome
The process varies so much for each PCT, but as you say you are unfortunately ticking the boxes for meeting the national criteria. What did your GP say when you stopped taking the Orlistat, were they understanding ? It would seem harsh to expect you to continue to take a medication that was making you ill.
Whatever your GP/PCT suggest, do your best to work with them and lose as much as you possibly can to show your commitment. I had to work with mine for 18 months before i got referred and then had to work with the consultant for a further 12 months before getting my op.
Hopefully your process won't take as long as mine, but stick with it as its worth it in the end.
Good luck.

See? Told ya it's a good site! lol

Stick with it and jump through all the hoops that gets you on the way to surgery xxx

Hi Nettie
Welcome to the site, it's a great place to get (and give) support. Don't believe Jacqui, we're not all mad...:silly::crazy::tomato:

Hi and welcome I live not too far so if you want to buddy message me. I am being sleeved on the 11th of Feb.

Back