• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi everyone!

katallen

Hiya,
my name is Kat im 24, married and have two daughters. I've been overweight pretty much all my life, from the age of 6 i become noticably larger, and its just snowballed. I dont know why, i've tried every diet and diet club, nhs diet plans, i've asked for surgery three times before to no avail, now it has to be a bmi over 50,...!

Now, im looking at self funding. Money is tight for me, so abroad is looking the likely option, my husband still hasnt came round to the idea, im just thinking about my health overall and being alive for my children, my one child has additional needs and will require support for the rest of her life, this is whats pushing me more than anything..because she needs me alive for as long as i can be! Anyway sorry for the deep intro, im hoping to find more info on peoples experiences abroad particularly gastric bypass. Kat x

Hi Kat. I was overweight since 7 and I had a gastric band abroad at 23, I went down to a size six but unfortunately my band slipped during two close together pregnancies. I revised to a mini gastric bypass abroad six weeks ago and I am 31. My surgeon for both operations was DR Chris De Bruyne in Belgium. The prices are good and the surgeon is very experienced. However you must always bear in mind that you do not get the same aftercare as with the UK, although both my experiences were very positive there are people that have issues. If you have a european medical card (free from the government) if you need any additional care in that country the hospital will bill the nhs. Some peoples gps are less than supportive of overseas surgery, so I would go and see your GP also.
I can say that having surgery at a young age like you completely changed my life in the most positive ways. Good luck! X

hello katallen
its always great for all of us when anyone gives us a starting point as to why they want WLS so don't worry about sharing...its all safe here !
very good luck and do keep us updated

Not sureif it varies area to area but I was under the impression that a bmi of 40 was sufficient to satisfy criteria?!

It does vary because in my area it is 50, unfortunately NICE only set guidelines not rules. That is why I am going to Belgium on Monday for my surgery

Lynn x

Hello just wondered if you guys know the rules changed in April 2013 and bariatric surgery is now funded by NHS ENGLAND and they go by nice guidelines so don't let your gps tell you anything different some doctors don't realise the rules have changed x

Michelle, this is nothing to do with my GP, it is the hospital that will not accept you if your BMI is under 50 without 2 co morbs (I only have 1).

Lynn x

Hi Kat... I had a Mini gastric bypass with Dr Chris de Bruyne in Belgium 6 months ago today.... So far I've lost 5 stone 3lbs since the day of my surgery.... I would of needed a BMI of 50+ to get help on the NHS, or so I was told..... Best money I've ever spent. ... Good luck with it all. :)

Hello Kat :) Goodluck on your journey :)

Back